Transfer Portal is a disaster

In a few years we will start hearing the hard luck stories where many of these players are broke and suing their agent, their parents and everyone else involved for mismanagement of the money.

The life changing money only is life changing if the one that receives it knows how to handle it.

Reactions: CeJayVols
I don't know what the conversation that happens when a player leaves consists of. Some assume they are "asked to leave". Is it that or the player realizing they are going to be riding the bench and decide they want to move on to another place where their skill set may be useable? Or maybe there are issues with the success on the educational side.

Being recruited over is a life lesson. When one is called upon to perform, if one doesn't perform whether football, flipping burgers, selling insurance, etc. someone else who can do whatever it is, will take your place.

None of these players are guaranteed playing time. That is earned. They come to college and they find themself a small fish in a larger pond and that extends to both the education and athletic side. Some were not prepared. Thus they struggle or they fail. Some just don't have what it takes to be successful at the next level. One can either (1) do those things that make them better and stay where they are (tough it out) with the realization they are not the biggest fish in the new pond and that they may have to temper their goals to match their abilities or (2) look objectively at their ability and search out another place where there is hope for them to succeed.

This above is what the transfer portal should be about and allow for - but it has turned into a bidding war for players instead.

And what's the difference between a player getting beat out in middle school, high school or the college level? Not much. Players get best put all the time. It's a reality of life.

In a few years we will start hearing the hard luck stories where many of these players are broke and suing their agent, their parents and everyone else involved for mismanagement of the money.

The life changing money only is life changing if the one that receives it knows how to handle it.
Very good point and same thing I have been saying. Lots of these kids probably 60% maybe higher will never see the NFL or NBA or get drafted or get hurt and career is done. Then what? That money and cars isn't going to last forever and I doubt most will get a education either and have nothing to fall back on.

I really doubt half of these star players ever go to class too anymore or they also get other kids to take their test or go to class for them. I remember years ago every year I would pray every year that we wouldn't lose any Vols to missing class or because of grades. Now, when is the last time you heard of any players getting dismissed or suspended due to grades and missing class? I can't remember last time I heard this but it seems like years ago for me.

Reactions: tbh and BreatheUT
The Citrus Bowl attendance was really bad - stadium only half full, it that much. First Bowl game involving Tennessee I have ever attended where the attendance was that bad.
Bowl game attendance isn't very relevant. This year was our highest average home game attendance since 2007.

Bowl game attendance isn't very relevant. This year was our highest average home game attendance since 2007.

I think the point the poster was trying to make is all around the country with opt outs and portal transfers it sucked some of the air out of fans. You weren't going to see the same team at bowl games in many cases. I'm not paying $150 for a ticket when 5-6 of my teams best players aren't playing. The attendance at the Citrus Bowl was one of the better attended of the lower bowls but appeared to be one of the worst attended UT bowl games in recent memory.

Reactions: Voltopia
It all works if it helps your team. Bama and Georgia probaly been doing it for years. Kentucky in basketball. I think they need something in place once you transfer to another school, you have to stay there at least two years.
Several states sued the NCAA to create the current "no penalty to transfer more than once." Not players, STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS sued the NCAA and are winning.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
This is as bad as the woke comment earlier. Or maybe you think anyone earning money feels entitled?
Oh I'm definitely not woke Vol brother not even 1% but if you don't see the problem with giving kids $100,-$250,000 cars and $150,000 up to million in jewelry and buying their family houses or known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games and paying kids and their families too and buying them stuff to wash money and coaches calling half our roster with our good players and players at other schools and offering them money to transfer then I don't what to tell you. I think 75% of fans on here will agree with everything I posted.

Maybe some like Ruiz down in Miami soon will be asking for all their millions back they spent on recruits and transfers so he can pay his IRS debt and avoid prison with the FBI on his back. Just saying smh

For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?
Totally agree….the transfer portal and NIL has ruined college football. Paying KIDS this ridiculous amount both upperclassmen and those just out of high school who have never played a down of college football is a complete joke. I’ve yet to see any college grad go straight from college to the workforce and get paid a million dollars. More importantly our servicemen and women go to lay their lives on the line while these spoiled pathetic thugs get paid millions to play college football. Better yet…I don’t see any FCS D2, or D3 players getting millions and ultimately those are the real football players and will be far more successful in life. NIL and the transfer portal is sending the wrong message to these overrated thugs. My 2 cents worth.

Next players will become employees. Then they will unionize. Then...The players union has announced a strike to demand higher wages and less harsh physical activity. There are just too many practices and the players are simply being put through too much and need their rest.

Oh I'm definitely not woke Vol brother not even 1% but if you don't see the problem with giving kids $100,-$250,000 cars and $150,000 up to million in jewelry and buying their family houses or known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games and paying kids and their families too and buying them stuff to wash money and coaches calling half our roster with our good players and players at other schools and offering them money to transfer then I don't what to tell you. I think 75% of fans on here will agree with everything I posted.

Maybe some like Ruiz down in Miami soon will be asking for all their millions back they spent on recruits and transfers so he can pay his IRS debt and avoid prison with the FBI on his back. Just saying smh
I said your comment was as bad as that one. What did your post have to do with entitlement like you called it? Their work produces billions and they deserve a cut.

Why exactly are you so worried about "known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games"? Where would that come from? 🤔

This is no longer College sports. I is now just a semi-pro league. The haves and haves not battles will destroy the teams. I am still convinced that is what blew up the team 2 years ago. That was just the tip if the iceberg. I didn't want it and I have posted many times about my dislike of it. I was accused of pearl clutching because I didn't want change. I hope that fool chokes on the pearls I once clutched when the sport disinterates.

There are PLENTY of pro athletes that have no idea what to do with their money

I think the point the poster was trying to make is all around the country with opt outs and portal transfers it sucked some of the air out of fans. You weren't going to see the same team at bowl games in many cases. I'm not paying $150 for a ticket when 5-6 of my teams best players aren't playing. The attendance at the Citrus Bowl was one of the better attended of the lower bowls but appeared to be one of the worst attended UT bowl games in recent memory.
Live attendance isn't where it's at anymore. The Citrus Bowl probably didn't make Orlando that happy but UT, Iowa, and ESPN probably saw it as successful.

Fans may not travel to non-CFP games like they would without opt outs, but they watch. I think the GA vs FSU massacre had one of the highest non-CFP game viewers ever.

Reactions: Raebo
I said your comment was as bad as that one. What did your post have to do with entitlement like you called it? Their work produces billions and they deserve a cut.

Why exactly are you so worried about "known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games"? Where would that come from? 🤔
Because it's all bad for colleges and college sports. It's all fun and games until Nico, Samson, Squirrel, Pearce or Carter gets called, poached and transfers for more money and watch how you will react or others agreeing with this mess.

At this point, how does coaches even keep a roster intact? Why even recruit HS kids if colleges and coaches are going to invest so much money and time recruiting and developing only to lose kids every year or two or 3?

Your missing my point. I'm not saying players shouldn't get some of the pie in ticket sales, jerseys, gear or tshirts, etc.. but this is a total mess and half the college fans agree. And you still haven't answered my question being a liberal Why are we on probation and reduction of scholarships if everyone and their brother is paying players more money then you will ever see in your lifetime?

Reactions: volfan102455
Because it's all bad for colleges and college sports. It's all fun and games until Nico, Samson, Squirrel, Pearce or Carter gets called, poached and transfers for more money and watch how you will react or others agreeing with this mess.

At this point, how does coaches even keep a roster intact? Why even recruit HS kids if colleges and coaches are going to invest so much money and time recruiting and developing only to lose kids every year or two or 3?

Your missing my point. I'm not saying players shouldn't get some of the pie in ticket sales, jerseys, gear or tshirts, etc.. but this is a total mess and half the college fans agree. And you still haven't answered my question being a liberal Why are we on probation and reduction of scholarships if everyone and their brother is paying players more money then you will ever see in your lifetime?
You still haven't explained how this is the entitlement they're teaching kids these days? What is entitled and makes you smh about wanting fair compensation for your labor?

It's likely your point is being missed Nevis you attempted to use a buzzword you didn't completely understand

This is no longer College sports. I is now just a semi-pro league. The haves and haves not battles will destroy the teams. I am still convinced that is what blew up the team 2 years ago. That was just the tip if the iceberg. I didn't want it and I have posted many times about my dislike of it. I was accused of pearl clutching because I didn't want change. I hope that fool chokes on the pearls I once clutched when the sport disinterates.
Your 100% correct. Imagine if your QB is getting $5 million and your star WR or OL are only getting $100,000 or even less. There is going to be jealousy from other players that coaches can't contain or those players will look to get out and get paid before they graduate or go pro so it's going to be a revolving door every year. So better hope that million dollar QB uses some of his money to buy things to keep his OL and WR's happy as an example.

Reactions: Pride85

Still curious why you're so concerned about all these known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games? Is that code for something?

Your 100% correct. Imagine if your QB is getting $5 million and your star WR or OL are only getting $100,000 or even less. There is going to be jealousy from other players that coaches can't contain or those players will look to get out and get paid before they graduate or go pro so it's going to be a revolving door every year. So better hope that million dollar QB uses some of his money to buy things to keep his OL and WR's happy as an example.
Why doesn't this jealousy happen in the NFL?

Very good point and same thing I have been saying. Lots of these kids probably 60% maybe higher will never see the NFL or NBA or get drafted or get hurt and career is done. Then what? That money and cars isn't going to last forever and I doubt most will get a education either and have nothing to fall back on.

I really doubt half of these star players ever go to class too anymore or they also get other kids to take their test or go to class for them. I remember years ago every year I would pray every year that we wouldn't lose any Vols to missing class or because of grades. Now, when is the last time you heard of any players getting dismissed or suspended due to grades and missing class? I can't remember last time I heard this but it seems like years ago for me.
That’s a good point about classes. You never hear about GPA suspensions anywhere. Of course, I think that might be going on outside of athletics too. These large universities are making so much money off of students and their loans that they aren’t holding them to high standards that will cause some students to have to leave.

I don’t know how college football will look when the dust settles. I suspect there will be a “semi-pro” league of well-paid player, probably the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12. Then many schools will choose to keep football but have some strong restrictions on how much players can earn.

I don't understand what what the big deal is? We lose some players. We gain some players. Everybody can legally pay players. It seems like a better system. What am I missing?

You still haven't explained how this is the entitlement they're teaching kids these days? What is entitled and makes you smh about wanting fair compensation for your labor?

It's likely your point is being missed Nevis you attempted to use a buzzword you didn't completely understand
What labor? A high school kid who hasn't played a down of college football? That labor?

It is entitlement. Not sure if you have kids but I do. I teach my kids to work hard and they all graduated with masters and in time they will be rewarded for their hard work. Not just paying them because they are good in a sport.

And the least they can do if they are going to give this kind of money some in the millions to athletes, teach them or give them classes how to manage the money and invest the money so they don't blow the money in a year or get hurt or don't go pro and then they are broke and no degree. I read where some NIL sponsors has put it in the contracts that if they go pro then they have to give back X amount of money. That is smart lawyers working with kids and their families that don't know any better.

And I also believe what is fair is fair. Coaches should be able to ask kids to leave and kick them to the curb and take away their scholarship if players don't pan out or bring a national championship so they aren''t stuck with players that are bust.

VN Store

Back