Transfer Portal is a disaster

Bowl game attendance isn't very relevant. This year was our highest average home game attendance since 2007.
It is relevant to the local economy where the games are held. It is necessary to pay for those that support the concessions, the parking, the security, etc. If attendance at games is not important, then just don't sell tickets to the public. Just let the TV crews in - no need for the band, the cheerleaders, parents or anyone to support the teams.

Or let the TV money pay some of that money to the local economy who provides the place where the teams play.

Reactions: CeJayVols
What labor? A high school kid who hasn't played a down of college football? That labor?

It is entitlement. Not sure if you have kids but I do. I teach my kids to work hard and they all graduated with masters and in time they will be rewarded for their hard work. Not just paying them because they are good in a sport.

And the least they can do if they are going to give this kind of money some in the millions to athletes, teach them or give them classes how to manage the money and invest the money so they don't blow the money in a year or get hurt or don't go pro and then they are broke and no degree. I read where some NIL sponsors if put it in the contract that if they go pro then they have to give back X amount of money. That is a smart lawyers working with kids and their families that don't know any better.

And I also believe what is fair is fair. Coaches should be able to ask kids to leave and kick them to the curb and take away their scholarship if players don't pan out or bring a national championship so they aren''t stuck with players that are bust.
You still fail to explain entitlement correctly. Getting rightly paid for your effort and value is not entitlement. I believe I should get paid for that and so should everyone. If I'm not then I would look for a new job

The sport is their work. Even a HS senior has put in many hours if they're a highly ranked recruit. You don't appear to value the work put in but the revenue produced shows you're in the minority. You just don't want the athletes to get their cut because of the possible known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games.

Lots of kids all across the county get processed out of their school (including UT). It's been happening for years

I don't understand what what the big deal is? We lose some players. We gain some players. Everybody can legally pay players. It seems like a better system. What am I missing?
You're missing all the known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games now that players are getting paid. Evidently it's an epidemic

You still fail to explain entitlement correctly. Getting rightly paid for your effort and value is not entitlement. I believe I should get paid for that and so should everyone. If I'm not then I would look for a new job

The sport is their work. Even a HS senior has put in many hours if they're a highly ranked recruit. You don't appear to value the work put in but the revenue produced shows you're in the minority. You just don't want the athletes to get their cut because of the possible known drug dealers and criminals hanging out at the games.

Lots of kids all across the county get processed out of their school (including UT). It's been happening for years
So then lets get rid of the SEC and every other major conference and college sports for good and just let the kids go pro out of high school or create a minor league like they have in the NBA for kids who don't want to go to school and never will attend a class either. No need to have college sports any longer. Just leave college only for kids who go for an actual degree and education.

we will agree to disagree and have a good night and enjoyed the debate. I'm enjoying my Davidoff cigar and watching the Vol basketball game 2nd half while I can still for now.

You still haven't explained how this is the entitlement they're teaching kids these days? What is entitled and makes you smh about wanting fair compensation for your labor?

It's likely your point is being missed Nevis you attempted to use a buzzword you didn't completely understand

Entitlement definition:

- the belief that one is inherently deserving of special privileges or special treatment

Compensation of labor is based on "earning" the compensation. You do well, you get paid well, you don't do well, you don't get paid well and maybe are fired.

The entitlement definition fits here. These players are put on a pedestal, told they are great and deserving even before they have proved that.

It would be equivalent of paying a singer because of their vocal range only to find out later the singer doesn't know how to use that gift to make any money. Yes the singer is special but they offer nothing of value because of it.

Or a person being of high intelligence but can't effectively use it for anything. Or a person with a lot of knowledge that doesn't share or use it but holds it back.

Reactions: tbh and CeJayVols
It is relevant to the local economy where the games are held. It is necessary to pay for those that support the concessions, the parking, the security, etc. If attendance at games is not important, then just don't sell tickets to the public. Just let the TV crews in - no need for the band, the cheerleaders, parents or anyone to support the teams.

Or let the TV money pay some of that money to the local economy who provides the place where the teams play.
Hehehehe. There's only one way to support the team and that's show up in person?

Watching generates money for the school. Having good TV viewing numbers is why the SEC is getting billions in TV money.

Sure, filling Neyland or Bryant-Denny or Sanford is a great thing and great experience, but ESPN is simply where the money is now.

It's not a "this isn't valuable so stop even selling tickets" situation. That's childish hyperbole. It's just that big attendance isn't as important as big viewership. Jeez.....

Reactions: Raebo
Entitlement definition:

- the belief that one is inherently deserving of special privileges or special treatment

Compensation of labor is based on "earning" the compensation. You do well, you get paid well, you don't do well, you don't get paid well and maybe are fired.

The entitlement definition fits here. These players are put on a pedestal, told they are great and deserving even before they have proved that.
Tell me Paris Hilton or the Kardashians are entitled if they earn their money by getting paid to show up at a club or event. They do nothing but show up and get photographed showing up and get paid for it.

Is that entitlement? Is it wrong?

Entitlement definition:

It would be equivalent of paying a singer because of their vocal range only to find out later the singer doesn't know how to use that gift to make any money. Yes the singer is special but they offer nothing of value because of it.

Or a person being of high intelligence but can't effectively use it for anything. Or a person with a lot of knowledge that doesn't share or use it but holds it back.
Being told your great is one thing but how many 2* are commanding a premium? The ones getting paid have either proved it or have demonstrated the potential. A player who doesn't produce will be cycled out like they always have been. It's basic economics. Value is set by the one paying

Tell me Paris Hilton or the Kardashians are entitled if they earn their money by getting paid to show up at a club or event. They do nothing but show up and get photographed showing up and get paid for it.

Is that entitlement? Is it wrong?
Not really the best example, considering who their families are. Some folks are born into money and born into being a public figure without doing anything.

Most of these players are not like them. Their public presence is a result of them playing college sports on TV. They may be known within the circle of the communities where the play high school sports - but outside of that - not so much. And most of the knowledge in the communities is a result of everyone knowing everyone in those communities.

Folks on here know who they are because you keep up with the recruiting and such - most college fans don't and won't know who these players are until they start contributing to the team.

I suspect all the NFL contracts have extra money for everyone if the team does well. Most businesses do.
But Trent Williams is still making millions more than Purdy, regardless of team performance. Heck the LT always makes more than the RT. There should be massive, widespread jealousy across the league but I rarely hear it

The problem is that folks are telling these players they are entitled because they are greatest thing since sliced bread, when they haven't proved it yet.

Look at the many threads on this board where fans criticize a player because they are not living up to the expectation that fan has. Yet that player has been told all throughout their life that they are GREAT and as a result deserve money, fame and success (i.e. an ensured hand out without doing anything). Unless you are a Paris Hilton etc, you will have to work hard to obtain that level of success.

But Trent Williams is still making millions more than Purdy, regardless of team performance. Heck the LT always makes more than the RT. There should be massive, widespread jealousy across the league but I rarely hear it

And the executives of a company make more than others. There are key positions on any team of people that will always get paid more. Those are also the ones that end up on the outside looking in if things go wrong.

Not really the best example, considering who their families are. Some folks are born into money and born into being a public figure without doing anything.

Most of these players are not like them. Their public presence is a result of them playing college sports on TV. They may be known within the circle of the communities where the play high school sports - but outside of that - not so much. And most of the knowledge in the communities is a result of everyone knowing everyone in those communities.

Folks on here know who they are because you keep up with the recruiting and such - most college fans don't and won't know who these players are until they start contributing to the team.
The HS guys, like Nico, are getting paid for potential. Coach Heupel believed Nico was worth going after hard. We did and we got him and he got paid without a college snap. Nico WAS very well known among colleges. It's complete BS to say these guys REALLY getting paid are unknowns to other teams.

He could be a bust. He probably won't. Both his future and, to an extent, Coach Heupel's future is on the line. That's the exciting part with getting a star like Nico. It's also exciting to get a "gift" like Hooker that no one expected.

UT recruits pretty well. We're not picking up frat boys who nobody knows. We're not hitting the blue chip ranks hard like Bama, GA, TX, Ohio State but we're not picking up trash either.

Those guys get paid, but not like Nico, because they aren't that elite.

What boxing said in the 70s and early 80s. It nearly disappeared. NASCAR is the same. Keep thinking it!!!

This mess has happened in less than 3 years and no one is stepping in to stop it. Hell the coaches are even saying it’s a disaster!
Modern boxers are boring fighters and the growth of MMA has taken much of the fan base. NASCAR failed to appeal to the younger generations and is dying because of that. Sports have to evolve or they will die withe the generation that supports them.

Modern boxers are boring fighters and the growth of MMA has taken much of the fan base. NASCAR failed to appeal to the younger generations and is dying because of that. Sports have to evolve or they will die withe the generation that supports them.
I'm not a fan of racing but I saw an E-Formula 1 race on TV. Electric F1 cars.

That sooooooooo sounds like the young kids would love it.

I saw little drone obstacle races on TV once at night too. I'm assuming that's for the XBox generation too.

Reactions: JRich
Same with college football. You make my point!

NIL as originally conceived was fine--but it's been completely corrupted, as we've seen.

However, any judge who thinks that college football and the players should be treated as a conventional business--with the players as "employees" who should be paid--is insane. It's not a conventional business, never has been, given that football revenues, much of them, are devoted to subsidizing all the other sports that are money-losers. No conventional business operates like that, and it's absurd to think so.
Just give everyone of them $50,000 per year and they pay all the tuition, room and board, and supplies

Because it's all bad for colleges and college sports. It's all fun and games until Nico, Samson, Squirrel, Pearce or Carter gets called, poached and transfers for more money and watch how you will react or others agreeing with this mess.

At this point, how does coaches even keep a roster intact? Why even recruit HS kids if colleges and coaches are going to invest so much money and time recruiting and developing only to lose kids every year or two or 3?

You’re missing my point. I'm not saying players shouldn't get some of the pie in ticket sales, jerseys, gear or tshirts, etc.. but this is a total mess and half the college fans agree. And you still haven't answered my question being a liberal Why are we on probation and reduction of scholarships if everyone and their brother is paying players more money then you will ever see in your lifetime?
Fl.St. Undefeated and an a$$ load players opt out! Great for CFB! It’s just BS now!

Reactions: CeJayVols
College football has been a purely profit oriented cesspool for a long time. It’s just that now the players who provide the means for the profit (legally) get a piece of the pie.
And if continues it will kill most of the non profit sports, baseball, softball, swimming, womens basketball. A lot of football profits go into other non profit sports

Or, if you're offered big money because you have skills that aren't easily available, maybe you've got skills that others want and will pay for and offer perks for you to come work for them.

Is that entitlement?
They are already offered more than $50000 per year in scholarships and the other benefits that go along with it. It's not like they were not getting paid anything before NIL

Reactions: volfan102455
They are already offered more than $50000 per year in scholarships and the other benefits that go along with it. It's not like they were not getting paid anything before NIL
And for decades and decades, players have been getting paid under the table so was that entitlement?

Successful teams have been cheating and paying players so obviously the scholarship wasn't reflecting the value the schools had for the players.

Now it's out in the open and people act like it's crazy that the scholarship doesn't reflect the value of the players to the team.

Seriously. That's been true for years. Are you just pissed because it's legal now?

Bowl game attendance isn't very relevant. This year was our highest average home game attendance since 2007.
Imo, home game attendance will start dropping everywhere, like UT vs Bama in 2024 nose bleed tickets $350 and $400, this doesn't even take into consideration of meals, gas, hotel stays. A family of 4 could be out around $3000 for one game. Or watch on tv for nothing.

Reactions: volfan102455

VN Store

Back