Transfer Portal is a disaster

Cut scholarship/active players down by 25%. More NIL pool for all players. Universities get paid bowl payouts for scholarship players on the active roster and ticket sales. Percentage of total ticket sales alloted to players based on win/loss but have to play.

At some point the universities will be able to only field sports that make a profit, greatly reducing the number of scholarships available to athletes. Many who use this avenue to obtain an education will then no longer be able to do so.
I don't think Title IX will allow that. It would be football then men's basketball in some cases. Maybe baseball.

Cut scholarship/active players down by 25%. More NIL pool for all players. Universities get paid bowl payouts for scholarship players on the active roster and ticket sales. Percentage of total ticket sales alloted to players based on win/loss but have to play.
All of these "solutions" that suggest the schools directly paying the players are the complete end of the "student-athlete" model of amateur sports.

If the schools directly pay the players for being athletes, they're professional athletes. That's it. That's when it REALLY turns into "NFL-lite" and "NBA-lite." That's the very last thing we need or want.

Collective bargaining, unionized players, salary caps, some way to "draft" instead of recruit players, etc. There's no way to stop that NOW, but delaying it from starting with NIL and the open portal are what the NCAA did to "buy time."

The recent suggestion of "get the schools involved directly in NIL" disappeared quickly because the legal staff of the schools likely said, "Do you want to own a pro football and basketball team?" to the various admins and they definitely don't.

I think the NCAA proposed that knowing it would gain zero traction but they can point to it and ask the courts to "give us some time while we look for solutions like we've suggested."

IMO, it's over for the "student-athlete" non-professional model we've loved. The only thing to do is try to make the best of the NIL and portal madness and hope the NCAA chooses to spend all their remaining money and existence to prolong the "student-athlete" model before UT becomes a pro franchise.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I am just stating facts, not upset at all, you appear to be the one upset. I know cheating has been going on and it still is with nil, such as contacting players that are not in the portal. All I'm saying is that a scholarship with all the other benefits is very valuable. If you can't see the value of this, then you have a huge problem. Ask any student who graduates and has $100,000 or more of debt in student loans if it is of any value to have had that and no student loans. How much is enough for a student athlete to be paid?

Remember when people had the novel concept football was a fun sports activity? Now people have made the leap it's a job. You get a free college education with all the perks - and there are a lot of perks even prior to nil and the transfer portal.

Reactions: cgrish
Remember when people had the novel concept football was a fun sports activity? Now people have made the leap it's a job. You get a free college education with all the perks - and there are a lot of perks even prior to nil and the transfer portal.
Remember when the schools sued the NCAA so they could cash in on the popularity of college football?

They had a great thing going with lots of butts in seats, but they made the leap to making the athletic department and football coaches rich.

College football has been the defacto NFL minor league since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, and that "just a fun sports activity" sentiment hasn't really existed in half a century now.

It would actually be even more prevalent at the moment had the NCAA not had a death grip on television rights from the 51-84, which they only relinquished after the USSC found them in violation of antitrust laws.

Ultimately poor foresight and planning by the NCAA going back nearly a hundred years is why the sport is seeing such turmoil with all of the changes landing in a short window.

"More rights for the athletes."
"They bring in the money. Pay them."

Fans and the public got what they asked for. Now deal with it. :mad:

Reactions: GordonC
Y’all are all leaving out one very important point. NO ONE IS MAKING THEM PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL

No ones MAKES you go to work everyday. But smart employees weigh the pros and cons of each employer and choose what's best for them.

Same concept- lets not act like players at these schools dont provide a very nice ROI for universities.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Nobody should be surprised. The floodgates were opened when they introduced NIL and transfer portal at essentially the same time with what appears to be little regulation.

A good, honest breakdown of who is pulling the strings to get things done: the media. Always follow the money.

Getting the "NFL in the room" makes me cringe. I trust the NFL to do what's good for college football like I trust a cat alone in the kitchen with chicken on the countertop.

The tone I hear is: the NFL replaces the NCAA as the controlling body for college football.

Sounds delightful...... if you like your colonoscopy with no anesthesia.

Reactions: MEDVOL
The major problem is the greedy universities. They have been using athletes as unpaid advertising for 100 yrs.

UT has an endowment of over 1.3 billion dollars. They “claim” to be a non profit organization, yet they keep raising tuition on regular students. Most majors are useless, and could be replaced by self study. The universities used to house information that you could only get through them, now everything is on the internet. The entire system is broken. They could educate every man woman and child in the state with just the interest earned off the endowment, yet they choose not too.

Next players will become employees. Then they will unionize. Then...The players union has announced a strike to demand higher wages and less harsh physical activity. There are just too many practices and the players are simply being put through too much and need their rest.
C'mon man, how much more can they 'shorten the game'? Continuously running clock like soccer?

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
All of these "solutions" that suggest the schools directly paying the players are the complete end of the "student-athlete" model of amateur sports.

If the schools directly pay the players for being athletes, they're professional athletes. That's it. That's when it REALLY turns into "NFL-lite" and "NBA-lite." That's the very last thing we need or want.

Collective bargaining, unionized players, salary caps, some way to "draft" instead of recruit players, etc. There's no way to stop that NOW, but delaying it from starting with NIL and the open portal are what the NCAA did to "buy time."

The recent suggestion of "get the schools involved directly in NIL" disappeared quickly because the legal staff of the schools likely said, "Do you want to own a pro football and basketball team?" to the various admins and they definitely don't.

I think the NCAA proposed that knowing it would gain zero traction but they can point to it and ask the courts to "give us some time while we look for solutions like we've suggested."

IMO, it's over for the "student-athlete" non-professional model we've loved. The only thing to do is try to make the best of the NIL and portal madness and hope the NCAA chooses to spend all their remaining money and existence to prolong the "student-athlete" model before UT becomes a pro franchise.

I have to chuckle every time I read of a lamentation concerning college football being ruined because of players being paid. Truth is players have been paid for some time now and previously it was all done under the table with money, services, or products paid out to family and friends from people or corporate entities without direct ties to the university AD. Some schools policed it a lot closer than others. IMO what NIL has done is allowed people and those corporate entities who were funding players under the table to do it above board and with transparency. The ones most hurt and hollering the most from my perspective are those programs who had a system funneling $ to players but had it down to a fine science of being unable to be caught. Now everybody has an even playing field and it's interesting to note the SEC for the first time in a long time does not have a team in the NC. I think the portal and NIL has something to do with that.

Reactions: Devo182 and GAVol
I have to chuckle every time I read of a lamentation concerning college football being ruined because of players being paid. Truth is players have been paid for some time now and previously it was all done under the table with money, services, or products paid out to family and friends from people or corporate entities without direct ties to the university AD. Some schools policed it a lot closer than others. IMO what NIL has done is allowed people and those corporate entities who were funding players under the table to do it above board and with transparency. The ones most hurt and hollering the most from my perspective are those programs who had a system funneling $ to players but had it down to a fine science of being unable to be caught. Now everybody has an even playing field and it's interesting to note the SEC for the first time in a long time does not have a team in the NC. I think the portal and NIL has something to do with that.
The problem is employee status if the school's directly pay players out in the open.

If you're paying someone like Nico directly from the school, out in the open, 7 figures to "work study" football, the courts aren't going to look at that like a student cutting grass for the school to get a little money or tuition break. The school's won't be able to legally argue that the players aren't university employees.

As employees, the players unionize and you end up with a pro sports franchise.

Besides the traditional and sentimental aspects of the "student-athlete" model, a pro franchise with salary caps and a draft/free agency mechanism isn't something schools really should be running IMO.

Hehehehe. There's only one way to support the team and that's show up in person?

Watching generates money for the school. Having good TV viewing numbers is why the SEC is getting billions in TV money.

Sure, filling Neyland or Bryant-Denny or Sanford is a great thing and great experience, but ESPN is simply where the money is now.

It's not a "this isn't valuable so stop even selling tickets" situation. That's childish hyperbole. It's just that big attendance isn't as important as big viewership. Jeez.....

Or gambling. Media rights and revenue from gambling are the engines that drive this behemoth at this point. Ticket and merchandise sales are a drop in the bucket compared with the billions from media and gambling, and that gap will only continue to get wider.

Or gambling. Media rights and revenue from gambling are the engines that drive this behemoth at this point. Ticket and merchandise sales are a drop in the bucket compared with the billions from media and gambling, and that gap will only continue to get wider.
I know ESPN pimps gambling but I've not seen the NCAA or schools doing it. Obviously, if you've got money on a game you'll probably watch it, which helps schools indirectly, but other than that am I missing how schools "benefit" financially from gambling?

Reactions: Delmar
What boxing said in the 70s and early 80s. It nearly disappeared. NASCAR is the same. Keep thinking it!!!

This mess has happened in less than 3 years and no one is stepping in to stop it. Hell the coaches are even saying it’s a disaster!
The NCAA is moving towards employment status/contracts.

This is the end point. OF COURSE players need to be paid. And OF COURSE they need more freedom of movement than 10 years ago.

It's the universities/NCAA's fault they were never ahead of this and forced to hand over control. This is what they get.

Now they'll pay players directly and have signed contracts. This is what they avoided for decades. Well played, but the gig is over.

For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?
College football is now NFL Lite+®. If you can imagine a scenario where pay to play influences player and coaching decisions, it will eventually happen.

Good.

These "amateur coaches" have been paid millions for years.

Any concept of amateurism has been a complete joke for decades. It's probably been 60-70 years since Neyland or any other coaches also taught classes and were amatuers.

Total scam.

Reactions: CrazyUncleVol
Also the note the money to pay players has ALWAYS existed. It's simply been redistributed to: admin, coaches, commissioners, etc.

The free market (or as close as we have to a free market), such as the NFL, would say a roster of 52 is worth 20-30x that of a HC...and yet in CFB (with 85 players) it's closer to 1:1...huh!! 👀

The problem is employee status if the school's directly pay players out in the open.

If you're paying someone like Nico directly from the school, out in the open, 7 figures to "work study" football, the courts aren't going to look at that like a student cutting grass for the school to get a little money or tuition break. The school's won't be able to legally argue that the players aren't university employees.

As employees, the players unionize and you end up with a pro sports franchise.

Besides the traditional and sentimental aspects of the "student-athlete" model, a pro franchise with salary caps and a draft/free agency mechanism isn't something schools really should be running IMO.

As employees, the players can be fired at will and subject to salary based on how well they do or don't perform. I see many colleges and universities saying .. I'm done at some point.

I could also see contracts where the player is required to stay at the university to obtain pay.

Good.

These "amateur coaches" have been paid millions for years.

Any concept of amateurism has been a complete joke for decades. It's probably been 60-70 years since Neyland or any other coaches also taught classes and were amatuers.

Total scam.
NFL/AFL players made $10 -15k in the 50s-60s. Terry Bradshaw sold insurance in the off-season to make ends meet. The entire system has evolved. That's what things do over time. They evolve & change. I don't get all the belly aching.

NFL/AFL players made $10 -15k in the 50s-60s. Terry Bradshaw sold insurance in the off-season to make ends meet. The entire system has evolved. That's what things do over time. They evolve & change. I don't get all the belly aching.
Yup. There's been an absolute flood of money since the old days. It has to go somewhere...

VN Store

Back