'24 Transfer Portal

It's hard to blame a coach for trying with Milton. Physically, it's like he was built in a lab. If you quiz him on a grease board, he's spot on with the X's and O's. The issues happen on the field. He doesn't have the ability to improvise, and can't react on the fly if the play doesn't go exactly like it's drawn up. He's still not as awful as many here claim him to be. He's just frustrating because he's the most physically gifted game manager in college football history. He will never go and take over a game, or win you a game on his own. This team has a lot more issues than Milton though. It's just that a QB like Hooker made many of last year's issues less glaring.
Agreed!

There was no bigger mistake than handing Milton the keys to a Maserati and letting him turn it into a Toyota Camry. There should have been an actual competion. If Milton won it then fine. But you make him earn it. There should be a competition this year with a portal QB and Nico should have to earn itT
That ALL depends on how Nico has progressed, and EXACTLY what the staff told him about handing him the keys. It is POSSIBLE that the staff has determined that all the significant reps in the spring and fall need to be concentrated on THE guy and could not give a portal guys enough reps to have an open competition. Can't imagine a REAL VIABLE candidate would want to take a shot here to be a backup from day 1 with Nico and the our incoming freshman trotting out there.

That ALL depends on how Nico has progressed, and EXACTLY what the staff told him about handing him the keys. It is POSSIBLE that the staff has determined that all the significant reps in the spring and fall need to be concentrated on THE guy and could not give a portal guys enough reps to have an open competition. Can't imagine a REAL VIABLE candidate would want to take a shot here to be a backup from day 1 with Nico and the our incoming freshman trotting out there.

I’m not talking about this year coming up. I’m talking about the mistake of not bringing in a transfer to compete with Milton. Obviously if I were talking about next year I wouldn’t be talking about Milton. As far as next year, of Nico gets hurt, our only scholly QB will be a true freshman from a small private Christian school. Tell me again how that’s a smart idea

I’m not talking about this year coming up. I’m talking about the mistake of not bringing in a transfer to compete with Milton. Obviously if I were talking about next year I wouldn’t be talking about Milton. As far as next year, of Nico gets hurt, our only scholly QB will be a true freshman from a small private Christian school. Tell me again how that’s a smart idea
Hindsight is 20/20 but yes they should have brought in a transfer last year. Even if he didn’t beat out Joe it would have left us with some quality depth for 2024.

I am also concerned in how Nico takes it if we bring in a transfer this year. I guess CJH shouldn’t worry about that and put the team first but it has to be on the back of his mind.

Reactions: sonofUT62
by mid week we will have some well identified transfer options
I hope they're big. I hope they're ugly. I hope they're mean and nasty. I hope there are at least 5 of them in our shopping basket and we have the money to pay for them. Then we can look at DL shopping.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Hindsight is 20/20 but yes they should have brought in a transfer last year. Even if he didn’t beat out Joe it would have left us with some quality depth for 2024.

I am also concerned in how Nico takes it if we bring in a transfer this year. I guess CJH shouldn’t worry about that and put the team first but it has to be on the back of his mind.
What difference would a transfer QB had made this year? Who could we have gotten?

Why are we hung up on this still?

Theres a difference between he earned it and Heupel thought he earned it. People can have reasonable disagreements but this offense regressed by every metric imaginable. Heupel made a mistake. That’s my opinion on the matter and not worth a dime.
No there's not. Heupel's opinion is the only one that matters on that decision.

Well if Nico gets hurt next year, we will be starting a true freshman or a walk on. Try not to let that puzzle you too much.
Our third string is 6th year 6'2 Gaston Moore who is probably about as good as anyone that we could possibly get to agree to come here.

And if any team is already down to their third string QB they're already doomed.

What difference would a transfer QB had made this year? Who could we have gotten?

Why are we hung up on this still?
Not sure it would have made a difference this year but it would have given us more depth headed into 2024. At this point no one knows what Moore is thinking but if he doesn’t come back it would be nice to have a senior insurance QB to back up Nico.

Our third string is 6th year 6'2 Gaston Moore who is probably about as good as anyone that we could possibly get to agree to come here.

And if any team is already down to their third string QB they're already doomed.
Moore participated in senior day activities. I am not sure why as a junior he would do that unless he plans on leaving the program.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
So you are ok with us have a RS-Freshman, true freshman, and then walkons after that? That could spell disaster for us if Nico gets hurt and Merk is not as advertised
Yeah I'd be fine with having an extra QB in theory.

I just have a hard time imagining anyone worth a damn would come here to be the back up or third string or fourth string if they aren't better than Gaston Moore who is likely about as good as anyone we could bring in.

Unless you win the National Championship,
Like Ohio st did.
Depth wins games.

Prior to him do that I wasn‘t worried about the position either. Moore would have been a servicable back up to Nico.
Yeah im slightly more worried, but looking for a back up/third string guy doesn't scratch that portal itch either. Getting a big time impact transfer at a position of need is more pressing.

Gaston needs to stay!

Yeah I'd be fine with having an extra QB in theory.

I just have a hard time imagining anyone worth a damn would come here to be the back up or third string or fourth string if they aren't better than Gaston Moore who is likely about as good as anyone we could bring in.
With Nico’s lack of reps, who is to say he is 100% the starter next year? Obviously he will be if we dont bring anyone in, but if we get a decent qb in the portal then the transfer qb very well could be in the starting conversation

VN Store

Back