'24 Transfer Portal

He has to play the cards on the table. Wasting a scholly on a backup could be a BIGGER mistake.

There was no bigger mistake than handing Milton the keys to a Maserati and letting him turn it into a Toyota Camry. There should have been an actual competion. If Milton won it then fine. But you make him earn it. There should be a competition this year with a portal QB and Nico should have to earn it

There was no bigger mistake than handing Milton the keys to a Maserati and letting him turn it into a Toyota Camry. There should have been an actual competion. If Milton won it then fine. But you make him earn it. There should be a competition this year with a portal QB and Nico should have to earn it
Is there portal talent that can push Nico and wouldn’t choose an easier path to starting? Probably not.

But we still need another experienced QB to at least try and push Nico, help coach him up, and serve as an insurance QB that’s not a true freshman.

Reactions: VFLBerg
Is there portal talent that can push Nico and wouldn’t choose an easier path to starting? Probably not.

But we still need another experienced QB to at least try and push Nico, help coach him up, and serve as an insurance QB that’s not a true freshman.
You have to question how Nico takes it if we go after a portal QB and open up the position to competition.

Perhaps he did earn it over the previous 3 seasons. Turns out the coaches see the players more than 12-13 times per year

Perhaps he did earn it over the previous 3 seasons. Turns out the coaches see the players more than 12-13 times per year

Theres a difference between he earned it and Heupel thought he earned it. People can have reasonable disagreements but this offense regressed by every metric imaginable. Heupel made a mistake. That’s my opinion on the matter and not worth a dime.

You have to question how Nico takes it if we go after a portal QB and open up the position to competition.

There’s an incoming freshman who has been very up front that he expects to compete and that he isnt coming to just concede the starting job. Nico doesn’t seem soft and let’s hope he isn’t, because Merk means business.

It's hard to blame a coach for trying with Milton. Physically, it's like he was built in a lab. If you quiz him on a grease board, he's spot on with the X's and O's. The issues happen on the field. He doesn't have the ability to improvise, and can't react on the fly if the play doesn't go exactly like it's drawn up. He's still not as awful as many here claim him to be. He's just frustrating because he's the most physically gifted game manager in college football history. He will never go and take over a game, or win you a game on his own. This team has a lot more issues than Milton though. It's just that a QB like Hooker made many of last year's issues less glaring.
Milton is like I was in basketball. My dad was a coach for over 40 years and I felt I had to be “technically” sound in everything I do. There wasn’t any flow to my game or relaxation. I was stiff and robotic trying to be the best at technique on the floor.

Hooker and Dobbs are built similar to each other in that they are good at the little things but they just go out and play and flow. Relaxed but play smart. The common term is a “gamer”. Allen Iverson/Isaiah Thomas

Problem is who will come to be a backup? You know this staff will be looking to start nico and transfer QBs don't move to sit. Unfortunately we won't have a choice. Gonna need to get the freshman ready but more importantly, you load up on talent on the OL to make sure you don't need a backup. Then you pray he's as good as hoped and stays healthy. We aren't like UGA with guys like Beck waiting in line for their turn.
This.

Also, I wonder if those saying our FR next year won't be ready are the same ones that were questioning CJH for not playing Nico.

Given the list of seniors that went through senior day are gone... (although, I find a couple names surprising and unlikely)

We still need to jettison 5-10 players to make room for '24 class + transfers we need.

That's all well and good, but a couple of thoughts:

(1) How do you know there wasn't a competition?
(2) I think you're missing the point being made: i.e. Any QB that could conceivably win the competition against Nico wouldn't transfer just to walk into a competition with Nico. Those QBs will basically be looking for a guaranteed starting spot.

Reactions: BADGER_VOL
That's all well and good, but a couple of thoughts:

(1) How do you know there wasn't a competition?
(2) I think you're missing the point being made: i.e. Any QB that could conceivably win the competition against Nico wouldn't transfer just to walk into a competition with Nico. Those QBs will basically be looking for a guaranteed starting spot.

I’m not saying we needed to look for a QB to beat Nico. I said we needed to look for a QB to beat Milton. And I know there wasn’t a competition because the contestants were a true freshman and two walk ons.

Last edited:
Theres a difference between he earned it and Heupel thought he earned it. People can have reasonable disagreements but this offense regressed by every metric imaginable. Heupel made a mistake. That’s my opinion on the matter and not worth a dime.
So, you probably should have just posted the last sentence and been done with it.

You opened by assuming a competition didn't happen, and lauding the importance of it. You ended by undermining the idea of any competition unless you ultimately got to make the decision.

So, your only valid point was the (lack of) worth of your opinion.

I’m not saying we needed to look for a QB to beat Nico. I said we needed to look for a QB to beat Milton. And I know there wasn’t a pcompetition because the contestants were a true freshman and two walk ons.
Take a lap, amigo. We've seen the value of your input. You've already admitted (whether you knew it or not) how much you actually valued the competition. What you actually value is the opportunity to whine after the fact.

I’m not saying we needed to look for a QB to beat Nico. I said we needed to look for a QB to beat Milton. And I know there wasn’t a pcompetition because the contestants were a true freshman and two walk ons.
Ah... Sure. Sure.

VN Store

Back