'24 Transfer Portal

I know we all have seen about TE Justin Joly from UConn coming on a visit.

I saw an article mentioning that the TE from ND Holden Staes is scheduling a visit, after talk with Abe’s but it was behind pay wall. Anyone have that confirmation??

I could absolutely see us adding (2) TE in the portal as we are losing (2) to the draft/graduation (eligibility).

I would be very happy if we could land Joly and Staes
Think you get one portal and one more hs kid

Campbell coming back. Spraggins and Cooper seem likely to come back. Not sure on Mincey since people keep saying he wants to play LT. Wouldn't mind taking two tackles and two guards to solidify this line.

Will Bru come back? Thornton? Even if they do, not against taking 1-2 WRs in the portal. Would love to see Bru switch sides and play in Tillman's old spot. Play Thornton opposite. Squirrel in the slot. Then have another veteran WR to sub in. Someone like Juice Wells.

The UConn TE would be a good get. Not sure if they would want a second portal TE or not.

Could use a lot of help on defense.

Actually, assuming the young guys are coming along, defense may not be as bad as I'm thinking. A lot depends on who comes back, who goes into the draft, who portals out. I could see adding 1 or 2 DL for the rotation. Maybe a SDE type player if Baron goes pro or portals. Maybe a veteran LB for security. Same with a veteran CB. Couple of safeties. The biggest thing with defense is letting the younger guys on the field, being able to rotate bodies, and having some depth to protect against injury.

Chris Paul, Jr. from Arkansas. I know he's a LB, but is he an Inside LB? As I'm not an Arkansas fan, I'm not sure what defensive scheme they were running and how he fit in. It seems other SEC programs are in pursuit. If he's an inside guy, I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires. With Beasley gone next year, a veteran LB presence would be nice.

Chris Paul, Jr. from Arkansas. I know he's a LB, but is he an Inside LB? As I'm not an Arkansas fan, I'm not sure what defensive scheme they were running and how he fit in. It seems other SEC programs are in pursuit. If he's an inside guy, I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires. With Beasley gone next year, a veteran LB presence would be nice.
He's a huge need imo.

Carter, Telander, and Spillman will be our top 3 imo.

Yeah we another really good inside linebacker

He's a huge need imo.

Carter, Telander, and Spillman will be our top 3 imo.

Yeah we another really good inside linebacker
Does he play inside, or is he an outside LB/Edge type? Never watched him play. Just seen several teams are pursuing, so figure he's probably pretty good.

Reactions: Glitch
Campbell coming back. Spraggins and Cooper seem likely to come back. Not sure on Mincey since people keep saying he wants to play LT. Wouldn't mind taking two tackles and two guards to solidify this line.

Will Bru come back? Thornton? Even if they do, not against taking 1-2 WRs in the portal. Would love to see Bru switch sides and play in Tillman's old spot. Play Thornton opposite. Squirrel in the slot. Then have another veteran WR to sub in. Someone like Juice Wells.

The UConn TE would be a good get. Not sure if they would want a second portal TE or not.

Wells or any other transfer WR will coming here to start, not be a backup to Thornton lol

Hoping Bru moves on so we can take another portal WR like Sheppard or Fleming. Pair those two with Squirrel. Have Thornton be a rotational piece.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Wells or any other transfer WR will coming here to start, not be a backup to Thornton lol

Hoping Bru moves on so we can take another portal WR like Sheppard or Fleming. Pair those two with Squirrel. Have Thornton be a rotational piece.
I doubt this staff guarantees anyone they'll be a starter. That doesn't appear to be how they work. Anyone that comes in, it'll be a competition.

I would only take 1 transfer wr. Bru could come back, Thornton, Webb, Nimrodd, squirrel, and matthews coming up, we already don’t play a ton of bodies

I agree about getting at least 3 OL from the portal. Even if all those guys you mentioned do come back, we've seen how injury prone they are. I'm all for bringing in competition at every spot. Having said that the portal is a 2 way street and some can throw their hats into the ring with the NFL. Heupel may be trying to finesse things to avoid kids leaving. Tough, tough position for head coaches these days.

As for the WR's, I think we need at least 2 there due to the same concern over injuries and those freshmen looked like they still have a way to go before they're up to speed....and honestly, I'm not sure our evals on those 2 were accurate.

Posted elsewhere that unless there's a HS TE that I'm unaware of, we certainly need 2 TE from the portal. Joly has to be THE one.

My biggest concern is the secondary. The youth didn't get playing time this year, and that's going to rear its head next season. I want none of the senior DBs back.I'd rather go out and get upgrades in the portal. Given our secondary performance, surely that can't be so hard.

Heupel better see what FSU did in the portal and take advantage of it. At last look, UGA has THREE of the top 10 HS recruits committed including the top QB. They're cherry picking in the portal as well. I haven't checked bama, but I suspect they'll be top 5 as well. UT has to get serious in the portal and stock up on guys that can play. Even then I'm not sure we can close the gap on those 2 anytime soon. I know you have to keep HS recruiting as your foundation, but until the rules change, this is how you have to operate. Hate saying this, but there are position coaches that have shown that they will play and develop youngsters while others have shown me nothing. If you can't develop it, buy it already done for you.

If Heupel and Co. waste a single year of what might be a generational QB like Nico or Nico feels like there's no chance of playing for anything more than 8 wins a season and transfers, you can bet the good will Heupel earned last season will be quickly forgotten and wolves will be at the door. The game has changed. The "calendar" of getting 4-5 years to flip and build a roster for a coach is long gone with the portal. Everyone says Heupel is incredibly smart. Let's see how he handles the portal this year. That's going to tell me a lot.

Reactions: EastTNVol423

No way I’m swapping a known commodity in Bru for an unknown one year rental. JMO

What if Wells and Sheppard wanted to come here or Julian Fleming. Not saying we are going to offer, just asking

2 of those 3
Again, it’s just my opinion. We know the production Bru brings to the table. Bru knows the system and doesn’t create drama. Bru isn’t a weak link in the roster. None of those 3 are sure things to come in and shine. Consider the hype around Thorton compared to his production.

Again, it’s just my opinion. We know the production Bru brings to the table. Bru knows the system and doesn’t create drama. Bru isn’t a weak link in the roster. None of those 3 are sure things to come in and shine. Consider the hype around Thorton compared to his production.
Wells and Sheppard/Fleming both started at their previous stops. I’m not trying to persuade you way or the other. You have your opinion and I have mine. It’s fine.

I still think moving Bru to TE and using him like Fant would make him a ton of money. Pair him with Joly and it’s pretty scary if you were to land Shep and Wells. Cause then you have Bru creating way more mismatches as a TE and his blocking there would help a **** ton.

QB: Nico
RB: Sampson / Seldon
WR: Shepp or another proven transfer WR / Wells / Squirrel
TE: Bru (Fant Role) / Joly

That’s just nasty to me.

VN Store

Back