Trivia Question: What head football coach has lost the most times to Tennessee?

you know what I would like to see...Fulmer's record against all coaches who have won a D1 football championship

you know what I would like to see...Fulmer's record against all coaches who have won a D1 football championship

I'm assuming you mean national championship:

Bowden: 1-0
Stallings: 2-1-1
Osborne: 0-1
Spurrier: 5-10 (I think)
Coker: 1-1
Saban: 1-4 (I think)
Meyer: 0-4
Miles: 1-2
Paterno: 0-2
Carr: 1-0
Holtz: 6-0
Ford: 5-0
Schnellenberger: 1-0
Robinson: 1-0

By my count Fulmer is 25-25-1 against coaches with a NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That actually adds up to 17-13-4, FWTW.
Maybe they announced Bryant was first, and you missed that part, and then they asked who's second.

Thanks for the correction; I forgot to add Bryant's ties at Kentucky to the final total. I don't think that they cited Bryant as being first; I was already aware of the fact that he had lost 13 times to us, having calculated those figures myself. I was surprised by this proclamation and know for a fact that it was not communicated within the context of a Tennessee-Alabama broadcast. This game was broadcast on a Jefferson-Pilot caliber of network, which further suggests this coach's prior affiliation with Kentucky. If it was Bill Curry, then their statistician forwarded some faulty data, which would not surprise me in the least. However, he may very well be in second place in this category.

Last edited:
Here's a list of Tennessee's series records (sorted by wins), that at least serves as a reasonable starting point:

Series Records

Vandy and Kentucky have lost to us the most, but few coaches from either school have stuck around for more than a decade. Mississippi and Alabama are next, but if it's not Vaught, I can't see who else it'd be from Ole Miss.

My guess is that maybe you misheard the question and that Bear Bryant is the correct answer, with Bill Curry second. Curry actually coaches at several of the schools that have lost a bunch to UT (Georgia Tech, Kentucky, and Alabama).

Bobby Dodd and John Vaught are the only other two coaches that I can think of that might've been around long enough to rack up a number of losses, but doesn't look like either of them have more than 10 losses to UT. Someone already posted Vaught's record. Dodd has somewhere between 6 - 9 losses to UT (just from looking at the series records by decade).

As best I can figure, Dodd was 9-7-1 against us. We played Georgia Tech regularly during his career (1945-1966) but not annually. Again, I was surprised by this statement, simply because I had assumed that Bryant held this distinction. It could have been an erroneous statement by the Jefferson Pilot-caliber broadcast team.

An interesting little trivia question came to mind: What head football coach has lost the most times to Tennessee? I don’t recall the answer but I believe that it is some journeyman coach who bounced around at several lower-tier SEC schools. In any event, the Bear is almost certainly second in this category. Consider the following data in terms of head-to-head competition with Tennessee at his various coaching jobs:

Maryland (1945): 0-0-0
Kentucky (1946-1953): 1-5-2 (but 0-5-2 vs. Neyland)
Texas A & M (1954-1957): 0-1
Alabama (1958-1982): 16-7-2

Total: 17-13-2. As great as Bryant was, he lost to Tennessee an astounding thirteen times. That could explain, in part, why he placed such importance on the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry. Both Neyland and Bryant considered the Third Saturday in October the annual measuring stick for their respective teams.

It definitely is not any of the current SEC coaches....

By my count Fulmer is 12-25-1 against coaches with a NC.
Lou Holtz needs to be in there.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't think of the coach whose name is on the stadium at Ole Miss, but that'd be my guess. He coached at Ole Miss forever when we were playing them every year. He has have lost to us 10-15 times.

Edit: Johnny Vaught

Lou Holtz needs to be in there.

Nice pick-up! I forgot about Lou. That will boost Phil's record. Fulmer was 6-0 against Lou.

I also forgot about Danny Ford coaching at Ark in the '90's. UT was 5-0 against him.

And Schnellenberger who coached Louisville in '93.

And John Robinson coached UNLV in 2004.

Last edited:
Scrappy Moore was the HC at Chattanooga from 1931 to 1967. During that time, Tennessee was 25-1 vs the Mocs. Looks like ol Scrappy gets the prize on this one.

From what I could find, Scrappy was 1-25 vs Tennessee from 1931-1967, with his only win coming in 1958.

You are correct, Sir.

What's the most sad about this is Scrappy's teams only scored a total of 142 points in 26 games to Tennessee's probably 500, I didn't feel like adding all of those big numbers.

And he didn't score a point on Tennessee until Oct. 2, 1946. That must have been a long 15 years.

And here's a link to the site I got all of this info from, it's really cool:

Tennessee-Chattanooga | 1946 | College Football Reference

I would like to know how in the heck the mocs beat us in 1958, we were pretty good in those days they beat us 14-6.

I can't think of the coach whose name is on the stadium at Ole Miss, but that'd be my guess. He coached at Ole Miss forever when we were playing them every year. He has have lost to us 10-15 times.

Edit: Johnny Vaught

One of the best coaches in the history of the game.:salute:

I would like to know how in the heck the mocs beat us in 1958, we were pretty good in those days they beat us 14-6.

That was during the Bowden Wyatt years. And besides 1956-Conference Champs and '57 8-3, those years kinda sucked until we hired Dickey in '64.

Lots of 4-6 and 6-4 type seasons.

1958 Season, Wierd year it looks like beat #3, 7, 11, and 15 but not KY or Chatt...

jake+tate-albums-2012-picture4723-58season.png

Last edited:

Holtz: 6-0
Ford: 5-0
Schnellenberger: 1-0
Robinson: 1-0

By my count Fulmer is 25-25-1 against coaches with a NC.

While not "dominant," that's not too shabby.

Jackie Sherrill has to be up there maybe? I know we never really played Miss St every year so maybe not, but I know he was there for a decent amount of time. And it seems like Fulmer beat him about everytime we played MSU

Backwards K, macrovol, and Jake Tate, you win the prize but I must now penalize myself for having not worded this question more precisely. Was UT-Chattanooga a Division 1-A (or FBS) school, as presently defined, during any portion of that period? I know that they have been a member of the Southern Conference since 1976, but what conference were they in back then?

I should have worded this question as follows: “What FBS head football coach has lost the most games to Tennessee?” This is the context within which I was thinking in originally posing the question and it is the context, I am sure, that the broadcast team was working from in their commentary. This, of course, would take us back to the original conundrum.

For the young whipper snappers who don’t know about the special relationship between Neyland and Scrappy Moore, here is a little anecdote that everyone should enjoy:

“[In those days,] Alabama always followed Chattanooga on the Tennessee schedule. The Mocs were also playing for a legendary coach, Scrappy Moore. One year Moore told Neyland that Chattanooga was going to switch to the single wing offense employed by the Vols because all the high schools in East Tennessee--from where Moore got his players--ran the single wing.

Heretofore, Chattanooga had always run an offense and defense that matched Alabama’s.

“Scrappy,” Neyland is reported to have said, “don’t you like playing us every year?”

Indeed Moore did. The $10,000 or so that Tennessee paid Chattanooga to bus up to Knoxville and take an annual beating paid a good bit of the Chattanooga budget.

Well, then, Neyland told him, if he wanted to keep getting that check, he’d better keep running the Alabama offensive and defensive schemes” (Scout.com: Chattanooga Knows How To Play Role).

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back