Trivia Question: What head football coach has lost the most times to Tennessee?

Scrappy Moore was the HC at Chattanooga from 1931 to 1967. During that time, Tennessee was 25-1 vs the Mocs. Looks like ol Scrappy gets the prize on this one.

Well done.
I didn't realize how many times we've played UTC. Probably because that's so far off of the OP's clues.

From what I could find, Scrappy was 1-25 vs Tennessee from 1931-1967, with his only win coming in 1958.

You are correct, Sir.

What's the most sad about this is Scrappy's teams only scored a total of 142 points in 26 games to Tennessee's probably 500, I didn't feel like adding all of those big numbers.

And he didn't score a point on Tennessee until Oct. 2, 1946. That must have been a long 15 years.

And here's a link to the site I got all of this info from, it's really cool:

Tennessee-Chattanooga | 1946 | College Football Reference

The 1st football game UT EVER played was in Chattanooga in 1891, but vs Sewanee not the Mocs.

So almost 1/2 of ALL of Fulmers losses
were to a coach who had won a national title! SO glad we fired him. (Sarcasm)

I was screaming this from day 1... Two losing seasons and we just HAD to get rid of him. Ppl forget sometimes that even the best coaches have down years.

Welcome to today's football

So almost 1/2 of ALL of Fulmers losses
were to a coach who had won a national title! SO glad we fired him. (Sarcasm)

6/24 against the 3 best SEC coaches in his tenure should be reason enough to fire him.

Yeah, I hate how facts get in the way of the point you were trying to make.

What point? The numbers are what they are. Ford and Holtz won NC's at ND and Clemson.

Holtz had a couple of decent teams at USC, but the program he took over was a dumpster fire. Ford had some decent teams at Ark as well.

because of how good tennessee football has been, a lot of people like to believe the 90's was the norm.

it's not

Reactions: 1 person
I was screaming this from day 1... Two losing seasons and we just HAD to get rid of him. Ppl forget sometimes that even the best coaches have down years.

Welcome to today's football

Yeah, UT fans just got tired of going to the SEC Championship Game only once every three years.

Yeah, UT fans just got tired of going to the SEC Championship Game only once every three years.

losing the SEC Championship game once every 3 years, being futile against the new Crimson Tide regime, and single-handedly making a lopsided (in Tennessee's favor) series against Florida into a rivalry in which they lead? I'm glad he's gone.

losing the SEC Championship game once every 3 years, being futile against the new Crimson Tide regime, and single-handedly making a lopsided (in Tennessee's favor) series against Florida into a rivalry in which they lead? I'm glad he's gone.

tennessee has had a great deal of success against florida and alabama since then.

Reactions: 2 people
tennessee has had a great deal of success against florida and alabama since then.

I'd be more upset if we still had Fulmer because the team would be just as bad (if not worse) and it would prove that the administration didn't care. At least they're trying to get better.

because of how good tennessee football has been, a lot of people like to believe the 90's was the norm.

it's not

Be careful with subtle digs like that, the same thing can be said about Florida. In other words, you cannot extrapolate out from a relatively small window of time to predict the long term success of the program.

If you could do that, Florida would be one of the top two programs in history.

And conversely, UT would be a blip on the radar of the 90's.

If you average UT's total number of won games by the number of years that we have been playing football, you end up with UT averaging about 7 games a year in the win column, for almost 1 and a quarter centuries. 799-354-53 all time or .684%.

That is good enough to be considered the 8th "winningest" program of all time (using teams that are still in the top division of college football).

If you do that for Florida, you get an average of about 6 games of year since 1906. 680-387-40 all time or .632%.

That is good enough to be the...drum roll please...21st "winningest" program of all time.

List of NCAA football teams by wins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you rearrange that by winning percentage to account for Florida playing football for fewer years, Tennessee is 9th and Florida is 13th, give or take.

So yes, Tennessee had a peak throughout the 90's but has limited success against Florida during the same time period.

If you think that is permanent, you might be right, or...you might one day find yourself in similar shoes of the Tennessee fan base trying to support the reconstruction of a once proud program.

Reactions: 1 person
How's that working out for you?

Fulmer had his upsides, and his downsides.

He was an incredible recruiter. I don't think he got lazy as many have postulated but his demise was caused by two other factors, 1) Georgia, LSU and Bama found coaches who were capable of keeping great talent in state and 2) he failed to adapt his coaching style as the game changed.

He continued to use a style of play that relies on better talent to win, when his talent steadily declined in comparison to the other rising programs. Fulmer was not going to adapt to that changing landscape as indicated not only by two losing seasons, but a general downward trend over his last decade.

Was he "done dirty" by the administration? I believe so. Fans like me are partially to blame, I admit I called for his head. I do regret that now. He should have been allowed to finish out his contract and a successor be chosen with a thorough long term search. But this realization is using the benefit of hindsight.

Fulmer was not the long term solution but it is arguable that keeping him would have lessened the precipitous fall from glory that booting him caused. The key would have been to find a solution not named Derek or Lane and things might be very different right now.

Believe me, I pine for the good ole days of the 90's as much as anyone but Fulmer was not going to stop a long term downward trend caused by the closing off of the states we usually poached for talent.

The good news is that we now have a rising crop of talent in Tennessee. That is the best long term solution for our woes. That and finding a coach who can utilize in state talent while finding some incredible players from outside the state to fill in talent gaps. I think (hope?) we have that in Jones.

Be careful with subtle digs like that, the same thing can be said about Florida. In other words, you cannot extrapolate out from a relatively small window of time to predict the long term success of the program.

If you could do that, Florida would be one of the top two programs in history.

And conversely, UT would be a blip on the radar of the 90's.

If you average UT's total number of won games by the number of years that we have been playing football, you end up with UT averaging about 7 games a year in the win column, for almost 1 and a quarter centuries. 799-354-53 all time or .684%.

That is good enough to be considered the 8th "winningest" program of all time (using teams that are still in the top division of college football).

If you do that for Florida, you get an average of about 6 games of year since 1906. 680-387-40 all time or .632%.

That is good enough to be the...drum roll please...21st "winningest" program of all time.

List of NCAA football teams by wins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you rearrange that by winning percentage to account for Florida playing football for fewer years, Tennessee is 9th and Florida is 13th, give or take.

So yes, Tennessee had a peak throughout the 90's but has limited success against Florida during the same time period.

If you think that is permanent, you might be right, or...you might one day find yourself in similar shoes of the Tennessee fan base trying to support the reconstruction of a once proud program.

I don't think any UF fan would say it's permanent, but UF has been up there for about 25 years. Older fans will crow about them being "Johnny come lately" but to recruits, UF has been good forever, and have dominated Tennessee.

Conversely, we're about 3-4 years away from the incoming freshman class not even being alive when UT won the NC last, and if things don't improve very quickly, the last time UT won the SEC.

I'd be more upset if we still had Fulmer because the team would be just as bad (if not worse) and it would prove that the administration didn't care. At least they're trying to get better.

You are a idiot if you think Fulmer's record would be the same or worse as Kiffin/Dooley in the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
An interesting little trivia question came to mind: What head football coach has lost the most times to Tennessee? I don’t recall the answer but I believe that it is some journeyman coach who bounced around at several lower-tier SEC schools. In any event, the Bear is almost certainly second in this category. Consider the following data in terms of head-to-head competition with Tennessee at his various coaching jobs:

Maryland (1945): 0-0-0
Kentucky (1946-1953): 1-5-2 (but 0-5-2 vs. Neyland)
Texas A & M (1954-1957): 0-1
Alabama (1958-1982): 16-7-2

Total: 17-13-2. As great as Bryant was, he lost to Tennessee an astounding thirteen times. That could explain, in part, why he placed such importance on the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry. Both Neyland and Bryant considered the Third Saturday in October the annual measuring stick for their respective teams.

Astounding? Why?

Neyland and Bryant never coached against each other (Al vs UT; so forgive me if I took your post wrong). Don't know nor have I read any quotes from Neyland about Bama. The supposed statement made famous by Bear Bryant when asked about the Texas/A&M game was made about Bama and UT. Don't remember the exact context but he considered our rivalry the best in college football while he was still at A&M (this may all be heresay, but I don't care, I preach it as truth).

Ergo the reason we can NEVER let go of the yearly match up in October!

Edit: Unless you are including 7 post season match ups which I don't think happened, you have them playing 32 times in 25 seasons. The record is more like 16-7-2.

Third Saturday in October - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This is kinda like how Brett Favre has the most interceptions in NFL history.

In Football, if you wanna have the most of (almost) anything you need to stick around for a while.

This is wearing me out......from a single school? Could it be Richt? I know Vandy and KY Jelly change coaches more than some people change their underwear.

They are 19-21-2 against us. The only other "rivalry" that they have a losing record too is Bama at 37-25-4. Why would they have played Bama 66 times and us only 42? I thought that we had always been a yearly game for UGa.

Last edited:
This is wearing me out......from a single school? Could it be Richt? I know Vandy and KY Jelly change coaches more than some people change their underwear.

They are 19-21-2 against us. The only other "rivalry" that they have a losing record too is Bama at 37-25-4. Why would they have played Bama 66 times and us only 42? I thought that we had always been a yearly game for UGa.

Only since divisional play which began in '92 have UGA and UT played each other every year. Prior to that time, UT played LSU, UGA, and UF very sparingly (about every 7-8 years).

And no, it can't be Richt. He's only been the head coach of UGA for 12 seasons and he has an 8-4 record against UT.

Astounding? Why?

Neyland and Bryant never coached against each other (Al vs UT; so forgive me if I took your post wrong). Don't know nor have I read any quotes from Neyland about Bama. The supposed statement made famous by Bear Bryant when asked about the Texas/A&M game was made about Bama and UT. Don't remember the exact context but he considered our rivalry the best in college football while he was still at A&M (this may all be heresay, but I don't care, I preach it as truth).

Ergo the reason we can NEVER let go of the yearly match up in October!

Edit: Unless you are including 7 post season match ups which I don't think happened, you have them playing 32 times in 25 seasons. The record is more like 16-7-2.

Third Saturday in October - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read more carefully next time. My reference was never limited to games played on the Third Saturday in October but pertains instead to Bear Bryant's overall record against Tennessee as a head coach. That includes every game that he served in that capacity at Kentucky (1-5-2) and Texas A & M (0-1). I never suggested that Tennessee and Alabama played 32 times in 25 years. I did forget to include ties at Kentucky in his overall record, so he is 17-13-4 alltime against Tennessee.

As for quotes, I have not seen remarks stating specifically that they considered Tennessee-Alabama the premier rivalry in southern football. I have seen statements, however, where they both said essentially that you never knew how good your team was until you had played this game, hence the annual measuring stick reference.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back