Truck Driver gets 110 years

Not sure where to post this but was really taken back by this. I do not know all the details of this accident, but from the sound of it, it was just that, an accident. This man is already having to live with the guilt of this, but then they slap this on top of it. Just crazy.

Over 4 Million Sign Petition to Commute Rogel Aguilera-Mederos' 110-Year Truck Crash Sentence
The DA offered him a deal with lesser charges and he refused and demanded a trial by jury and he was found guilty. The judge was hamstrung by mandatory sentence guidelines based on the number of charges.

No one to blame but himself

Reactions: MemphisVol77
This was a training issue on the part of the truck company. They are the ones who should be held responsible, not this young man who was clearly inexperienced.

This was a training issue on the part of the truck company. They are the ones who should be held responsible, not this young man who was clearly inexperienced.
He pulled over twice on the trip because he knew his brakes were failing before he ever went up the mountain. He also went 90 mph down the mountain and avoided at least three places he could’ve crashed the truck with no one around

He pulled over twice on the trip because he knew his brakes were failing before he ever went up the mountain. He also went 90 mph down the mountain and avoided at least three places he could’ve crashed the truck with no one around
Very accurate point

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I just think the company shares at least some of the culpability due to the poor maintenance of the truck and the obvious poor training in handling such situations.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I just think the company shares at least some of the culpability due to the poor maintenance of the truck and the obvious poor training in handling such situations.
Hard to put a company in jail. They will get killed in civil court

The DA offered him a deal with lesser charges and he refused and demanded a trial by jury and he was found guilty. The judge was hamstrung by mandatory sentence guidelines based on the number of charges.

No one to blame but himself
I knew you would defend this. "Just following the rules..."

Reactions: VolStrom

I understand what you are saying as far as company owned equipment and it’s responsibility in keeping it maintained, but there’s a couple of things that puts 98% of the blame on him . Before you accept a truck or load you do a pre-trip check off list and once you do that and accept it .. The driver is fully responsible for that truck, that load and what happens with it .

I knew you would defend this. "Just following the rules..."
He killed four people due to his negligence. He knew his truck was messed up and he knowingly drove fast anyway and he chose not to try to ditch the truck on the proper truck emergency ramps. Just once you should be for personal responsibility of these idiots

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying as far as company owned equipment and it’s responsibility in keeping it maintained, but there’s a couple of things that puts 98% of the blame on him . Before you accept a truck or load you do a pre-trip check off list and once you do that and accept it .. The driver is fully responsible for that truck, that load and what happens with it .

I don't know if the guy deserved 100 years or not but in no way is he innocent, he deserves a lengthy prison sentence.

lilreb and hog would be our experts regarding the trucker's negligence. That sentence seems absurd to me too, hog.

How does a trucker know the condition of the brakes on the vehicle? Are there sensors or does a visual inspection reveal the problem with the braking system driven by the guy sentenced?

Reactions: Volatility
I don't know if the guy deserved 100 years or not but in no way is he innocent, he deserves a lengthy prison sentence.

Exactly. If you know something is wrong with your brakes you don’t drive to the top of a mountain expecting to get down the other side no matter the vehicle. Bad judgement on his part. Multiple runoffs that are there for a reason. Again bad judgement.

One thing every truck should have for young drivers is a jake brake. Should be mandatory from a company perspective.

lilreb and hog would be our experts regarding the trucker's negligence. That sentence seems absurd to me too, hog.

How does a trucker know the condition of the brakes on the vehicle? Are there sensors or does a visual inspection reveal the problem with the braking system driven by the guy sentenced?

Brakes are on the pre-trip inspection checklist. The driver is supposed to visually inspect them every day, most don't so this is a great teaching tool for other drivers.

Reactions: McDad
Exactly. If you know something is wrong with your brakes you don’t drive to the top of a mountain expecting to get down the other side no matter the vehicle. Bad judgement on his part. Multiple runoffs that are there for a reason. Again bad judgement.

One thing every truck should have for young drivers is a jake brake. Should be mandatory from a company perspective.

An engine brake wouldn't have prevented this. Might have helped but there is only so much a JB can do with an 80K lbs truck.

VN Store

Back