Trump Sues Hillary and DNC

The thing I did hate was trying to keep my carding, roving, and spinning up and running during the winter and Upper Mgt denying there was such a thing as green cotton. THat stuff was like glue to a steel roller, and worse to a rubber roller. One time we had two people per side on a spinning frame and couldn't keep it up.

Now that is something that I never knew about. We worried about wet cotton at the gin and fire bales at the warehouse.

It seems to have rebounded a bit in the Carolinas. I still get a weekly job opening list from a headhunter. He always has a page of really nice jobs in the Carolinas and GA. Been that way almost 2 years or more. Textiles thus far has been my favorite. The typical textile plant worker was hard to beat as well. It definitely was closely knit. Atleast in Dundee. Maybe not so much over at Milliken. They were a bit more brutal. But their cast-offs each year pcked up handsome jobs at other places.

Yes, I recall the North Carolina State boys really looked after one another.

We used to have a golf tournament once a year over around Columbus called the GAGSASH (Georgia-Alabama Golf Scramble And Social Hour) that had a lot of the Southeastern merchants, mill folks, and I would go as a warehouseman and sponsor something. Always had a lot of fun.

The thing I did hate was trying to keep my carding, roving, and spinning up and running during the winter and Upper Mgt denying there was such a thing as green cotton. THat stuff was like glue to a steel roller, and worse to a rubber roller. One time we had two people per side on a spinning frame and couldn't keep it up.

It just occurred to me what that may have been caused by: aphid infestations when the cotton was picked; possibly not defoliated completely so the aphids were still there secreting a sugary substance that would drip on the cotton.

What we would call green cotton at the gin would mean the seeds had not completely hardened and it just flat out wouldn't gin. But I remember some mills complaining about sticky cotton and that was caused by aphids.

The bestest of buddies. Trump asks Putin to release any info about Hunter Biden

poster%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.u6.jpg

It just occurred to me what that may have been caused by: aphid infestations when the cotton was picked; possibly not defoliated completely so the aphids were still there secreting a sugary substance that would drip on the cotton.

What we would call green cotton at the gin would mean the seeds had not completely hardened and it just flat out wouldn't gin. But I remember some mills complaining about sticky cotton and that was caused by aphids.

Winter cotton really was green cotton. You could visibly see the seeds had not dried out and were still green. Not being fully dried, the trash wouldn't fall out in the carding process and would stick to rollers through the entire process. I'm sure the aphids were maybe the primary issue, but since we could see the seeds were not dried, we just called it green cotton. And it was always associated with cotton bales we received in the winter months. It was rather humurous in hte end. You'd be separating cotton with your department manager and pointing out the green cotton to his face. He'd say there's no such thing. They would never give us an excuse as to why our efficiencies were down.

I just re-read that sentence. That sounds about right. And the s**t rolled down hill after that when it hit carding and roving. We had 3 people per rovamatic one day and couldn't keep it running. Those machines are a different story. Extremely dangerous. I had a purple and yellow bruised belly from my chest to my belt because of those machines. The things I saw in a cotton mill were horrendous when it came to injuries.

Now that is something that I never knew about. We worried about wet cotton at the gin and fire bales at the warehouse.

We had more than one 53 footer spontaneous combust in the heat of summer due to damp bales being loaded up. Some started before hte driver even unhooked and he was scrambling to get the cab away from the trailer. Most were already on the yard waiting to unload. nothing you could do except let them burn out. You can't douse a bale of smoldering cotton. They will go for days. And the smell was putrid. Burning nd rotting flesh were better odors.

I just re-read that sentence. That sounds about right. And the s**t rolled down hill after that when it hit carding and roving. We had 3 people per rovamatic one day and couldn't keep it running. Those machines are a different story. Extremely dangerous. I had a purple and yellow bruised belly from my chest to my belt because of those machines. The things I saw in a cotton mill were horrendous when it came to injuries.

Yes, gin accidents were no picnic either. Guy that worked for us had lost an index finger when he was young in a lint cleaner. After a few years, he lost his hand. Went to another gin company and lost rest of the arm. Old joke is how does a cotton ginner order a six-pack of beer? (Hold up both hands with only six fingers showing)

Worst I've seen pictures of was someone who got caught in the saw cylinders of a gin stand during a test. Not much left. Worst I personally knew about happened at a client's gin in south Georgia that was actually a murder. During a break, one of the supervisors called one of the crew up to the top of the lint slide that goes into the press. Knocked the crewman in the head and sent him down the lint slide. The guy came out in a bale of cotton. It was later found out the crewman had been messing around with the supervisor's daughter or something like that.

Yes, gin accidents were no picnic either. Guy that worked for us had lost an index finger when he was young in a lint cleaner. After a few years, he lost his hand. Went to another gin company and lost rest of the arm. Old joke is how does a cotton ginner order a six-pack of beer? (Hold up both hands with only six fingers showing)

Worst I've seen pictures of was someone who got caught in the saw cylinders of a gin stand during a test. Not much left. Worst I personally knew about happened at a client's gin in south Georgia that was actually a murder. During a break, one of the supervisors called one of the crew up to the top of the lint slide that goes into the press. Knocked the crewman in the head and sent him down the lint slide. The guy came out in a bale of cotton. It was later found out the crewman had been messing around with the supervisor's daughter or something like that.

Had a spinner get her long hair caught in the spindle tape when she was putting ends up. Not a whole lot of pressure on those tapes, but it did wrap her hair around the spindle and pull her in. She got a hair cut on hte spot to get out.

Had an employee cutting a choke off a machine and the blade went right into him arm at the wrist. It's amazing how far blood will squirt at each heart pulse. Had a young utility worker come get me anf he could not even finish a sentence and was struggling not to pass out, so I finally told him to just show me. Only time in my life I saw a black person turn white. I had to haul the guy in my truck to ER. No time to wait on ambulance. Lot of clean up afterwards.

Another reaching under a card machine with a broom to clean off tags. broom got caught by the cylinder wire and pulled him right in. Had no skin on the back of his arm. Down to bone in some places.

Always knew who ran card machine jobs. Most had flat finger tips from cleaning card blades with bare fingers. What didn't wear off got sliced off.

Only met a handful of technicians, that had all 10 fingers. Most were old timers before OSHA and safety regs caught up to textiles.

One reached into a double beam slasher to get a loose end and got fingers caught in the beams. Pulled in up to shoulder. Took hours to get out. Flat arm of course.

Draper looms were notorious for launching fly shuttles. People knew the sound and would duck. I was in weave room counting my yarn, and that sound went off. That shuttle literally went about 60 feet accross the room and nailed a guy in hte head and dropped in his tracks walking down an aisle.

I had more personal injuries than I care to admit as I was a supervisor that learned jobs and didn't walk around with hands in pocket. Our boss would not take a recorded accident off a supervisor. We were on our own.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Draper looms were notorious for launching fly shuttles. People knew the sound and would duck. I was in weave room counting my yarn, and that sound went off. That shuttle literally went about 60 feet accross the room and nailed a guy in hte head and dropped in his tracks walking down an aisle.
Oh, I've heard nasty tales about shuttle accidents.

I have an old shuttlecock that came out of Flint River Mills down in Albany that I've kept on my desks for years. You may find this amusing: I was doing a stint (I'm a consultant) for BCBS of Tennessee in Chattanooga and hardly any of the whites knew what it was. The group most likely to recognize it? The Indians.

Oh, I've heard nasty tales about shuttle accidents.

I have an old shuttlecock that came out of Flint River Mills down in Albany that I've kept on my desks for years. You may find this amusing: I was doing a stint (I'm a consultant) for BCBS of Tennessee in Chattanooga and hardly any of the whites knew what it was. The group most likely to recognize it? The Indians.
Dundee was mostly towels, and mostly institutional. We did some retail, but we made our money on non-retail. I went to work for them in 1990. We were still making gauze, continuous restroom handtowels, and cloth diapers then. That's what ran on the drapers. The towel looms had long since upgraded.

The shuttle fly looms (drapers) had a metal "teeth" track the shuttle traveled back and forth. If any of those teeth broke and created a gap in hte track, that shuttle cock would fly out like a bullet. And the ends had brass pointed tips on them. The guy I saw get laid out was only knocked out. But your right, they could inflict serious injury. That dang unprotected beat-up arm got me one night when I was crossing between looms on a short cut. If my hand, which took a serious whack, hadn't been where it was, I would have had to buy a pair of new jewels.

1648763231216.png
Why so many southern millworkers were cross-eyed....or toothless.

One dangerous, unguarded mofo right here. I tried to find you a video of a shuttle getting launched but no dice.

Last edited:
Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back