Turns out, slavery is good ... for the slaves

I think I've been clear that I don't like DeSantis but DeSantis didn't write the curriculum nor did he personally approve it. Hence dumb tweet.

Desantis defended the curriculum. All he had to do was say that he had nothing to do with it, which he did as an aside, but he couldn't just leave it at that because he's an idiot.

And look, I'm not saying he did some terrible thing here, nor did the Magic, (and neither did Bud Light), but people are clearly upset about this and those people prominently exist in the NBA community.

Desantis defended the curriculum. All he had to do was say that he had nothing to do with it, which he did as an aside, but he couldn't just leave it at that because he's an idiot.

And look, I'm not saying he did some terrible thing here, nor did the Magic, (and neither did Bud Light), but people are clearly upset about this and those people prominently exist in the NBA community.

Ahh, the NBA community. Well now I understand.

Well, if Bud Light did not do anything terribly wrong, why are their sales off by 25%+? "Hey, we had a successful quarter! Our sales are down by 25%!" said no CEO ever. Yeah, it appears to be a terribly major freaking marketing mistake.

Now the thing with the Magic may turn out to be the same, but I doubt it. What are the players going to do? Strike? Whoa! They might take a knee. That will hurt.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Well, if Bud Light did not do anything terribly wrong, why are their sales off by 25%+? "Hey, we had a successful quarter! Our sales are down by 25%!" said no CEO ever. Yeah, it appears to be a terribly major freaking marketing mistake.

Now the thing with the Magic may turn out to be the same, but I doubt it. What are the players going to do? Strike? Whoa! They might take a knee. That will hurt.

I mean in the sense that they didn't wrong anybody.

The players are not going to go on strike, but there is still a cost here. Magic used to be a franchise where high-profile players wanted to go to. Grant Hill signed there in FA. Tracy McGrady did too. There are only like 5 franchises in the whole league that can pull players like that. But the Magic have become a joke, and players decreasingly want to go there, and this is just another brick in that wall. Not to mention, they are turning off talented coaches and front office people, as well as fans. The Magic are not going to lose 25% of revenue, but there's nothing to gain here.

Reactions: NashVol11

As long as one does not count stockholders.

The players are not going to go on strike, but there is still a cost here. Magic used to be a franchise where high-profile players wanted to go to. Grant Hill signed there in FA. Tracy McGrady did too. There are only like 5 franchises in the whole league that can pull players like that. But the Magic have become a joke, and players decreasingly want to go there, and this is just another brick in that wall. Not to mention, they are turning off talented coaches and front office people, as well as fans. The Magic are not going to lose 25% of revenue, but there's nothing to gain here.

I have heard of Grant Hill. Used to be a big fan of the Celtics and watched NBA games and playoffs. Could not name a single NBA champion from the last ten years. Know its popular, but this kind of sounds like a tempest in a teapot. I remember the Magic putting together some superstar teams, but wasn't it because of money? Players getting bent out of shape about donations to DeSantis' PAC when they apparently don't have a problem getting paid by Communist China, the Beacon of Civil Liberties for the World seems a bit hypocritical, especially when DeSantis didn't do anything.

So the fallout for the Magic is that they will be pretty much exactly the same as they have been? Whoa, what a price to pay.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Smart to light money on fire donating to a losing cause while pissing off the players union (which has now issued a statement), and potentially dividing the fan base? The owner could have made the donation. It didn't have to be the organization.

What on earth do the Magic get out of this?

“It was given as a Florida business in support of a Florida governor for the continued prosperity of Central Florida,”

You can believe the “insight” of someone who believes the wnba makes money. A guy crying about a team he doesn’t even play for obviously speaks for everyone on that team.

“It was given as a Florida business in support of a Florida governor for the continued prosperity of Central Florida,”

So again, what do they gain? Curried some favor? Why do they need that? They don't. And owner could have done that in his own name. So even if they somehow do benefit, there was a better way to do this.

Reactions: NashVol11
I have heard of Grant Hill. Used to be a big fan of the Celtics and watched NBA games and playoffs. Could not name a single NBA champion from the last ten years. Know its popular, but this kind of sounds like a tempest in a teapot. I remember the Magic putting together some superstar teams, but wasn't it because of money? Players getting bent out of shape about donations to DeSantis' PAC when they apparently don't have a problem getting paid by Communist China, the Beacon of Civil Liberties for the World seems a bit hypocritical, especially when DeSantis didn't do anything.

Every team has $ and tries to throw it at free agents...it doesn't work precisely because they all have $. Players wanna go to the biggest markets (or they just stay where they are) and Orlando used to be an outlier in that group.

So again, what do they gain? Curried some favor? Why do they need that? They don't. And owner could have done that in his own name. So even if they somehow do benefit, there was a better way to do this.

Reactions: AM64
Maybe the Atlantic Ocean + travel limitations + generations of living here so Africa isn't home could be reasons? JFC

Those factors haven't stopped countless groups of people from leaving their homes to come to America...and thriving when they got here despite being poor and facing severe language and cultural barriers.

Besides, their African relatives would gladly sponsor them and give them a running start in the utopia that is Africa. And wealthy Americans of all races would support their departure in all ways possible including financially. In fact, the Democrat Party would plunge deep into their own coffers to supply the humanitarian aid to these emigrants.

That could be the 2024 slogan for the Biden/Harris campaign: "A ticket in every pocket."

Last edited:
If someone points out that victims of domestic violence are "better off" because it made them tougher, that's an extremely weird thing to say and calls into question why someone feels the need to make that point. Same with Black Americans being "better off" because of slavery which is such an insane take

Please explain why that FACT is "an insane take."

You might begin by listing some of the many advantages that a typical black African family/individual has over the typical black U.S.A. family/individual.

Forgive me for saying this, but I wasn't aware that those "existing in the NBA community" made education such a high priority.

These prominent people in the NBA should do the same thing they did in their mind to reconcile the genocides and human rights abuses the Chinese government performs on their citizens everyday. When they do, they will realize these "alarms" of giving money to this PAC are nothing in comparison.

You’re talking about Huff….. he argues with himself in his sleep

Obviously the Orlando Magic are racist for donating to multiple political parties. Florida is only one of the most diverse states that people are flocking to simply to discriminated against. Well that’s what a guy that plays for a team in the murder capital in Louisiana says.

Obviously the Orlando Magic are racist for donating to multiple political parties. Florida is only one of the most diverse states that people are flocking to simply to discriminated against. Well that’s what a guy that plays for a team in the murder capital in Louisiana says.
That guy probably has no idea what the hell he’s talking about 90% of the time.

As long as one does not count stockholders.

You can bet they donated to the other side as well. Almost any organization is going to hedge and donate both ways; that way they can always be on the winning side when they need something.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
You can bet they donated to the other side as well. Almost any organization is going to hedge and donate both ways; that way they can always be on the winning side when they need something.
Absolutely.

VN Store

Back