Turns out, slavery is good ... for the slaves

Since 2000 (I'm not doing 40, you can if you want)
MLB - 15 different teams
NFL - 13 different teams
NHL - 13 different teams
NBA - 11 different teams - Cavs aren't there without LeBron coming back.

So they have the worst parity in professional sports.

Didn't realize how dominant Lakers have been in that stretch. Six of the NBA championships have been LA. That's 1 team with 25%. GS and LA account for 40%. Wow.

That's relying too much on the past. There is a ton of parity now, if that's what you care about..

Mavs
Heat
Heat
Spurs
Warriors
Cavs
Warriors
Warriors
Raptors
Lakers
Bucks
Warriors
Nuggets

5 different champs in the last 5 years. 9 different champs in 13 years, and we saw the greatest team of all time during that stretch hoarding 4 of the titles. Player movement has been good for parity, and that's not what people expected.

That mid 90s lineup of Shaq, Penny, Anderson, Scott and Grant was pretty stout.

It is a great 5 but their problem is their best 2 players were young and needed more battle testing. The other problem was their bench was absolute trash.

Edit: and worst of all, Horace Grant got hurt and didn't play in the Bulls series.

Last edited:
Lol NBA has the worst parity of the major professional sports leagues. It gets worse the further you go back. Funny that you picked the 2000 post to comment on rather than the 1980, as you originally requested. 🙃

Point being, the Orlando magic are at a disadvantage for being a small market team. It's been a topic for decades.

Orlando is the one small market that never seemed to have that disadvantage. They attracted Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, and then Tim Duncan was a c-hair away from signing there, too. Almost nobody gets players like that. The problem is they're so inept they can't get people to stay.

They fumbled the Shaq thing so badly. They betrayed Dwight Howard by telling SVG he wanted him fired. D12 was blindsided by SVG in front of a camera crew as he confronted him about it. All trust was lost and D12 was out. How they handled the Banchero pick was a total head scratcher. I liked the pick, but they did it all weird. They've just been a bad organization, but they have some good young players right now.

Due to a generational draft pick in shaq and whatever we want to consider Dwight. Both went to LA 😭. Sucks to be a magic fan.

Shaq was about the Magic being cheap.

Howard was about the Magic betraying him (as I explained a minute ago).

Both cases are on management

1691444204728.png

Also, the 2009 Magic team starred Rashard Lewis, who was a big FA get.

Again, Orlando is not in the same boat as other small market teams.

Shaq was about the Magic being cheap.

Howard was about the Magic betraying him (as I explained a minute ago).

Both cases are on management

View attachment 568417
You're misremembering the dwight issue. Dwight requested a trade to a big market. He wanted out.

Screenshot_20230807_175926_Chrome.jpg

The svg stuff happened after the trade request and when the last ditch effort to keep him failed.

VN Store

Back