Two concerning things about Heupel so far in his tenure here that bother me.

DarkVolder

Come on over to the dark side
1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.

On the Hooker thing, you just have to understand where it's challenging to pick a starting QB.

Milton clearly is a show stopper in practice. Virtually every practice report we've ever read about him praises him. HH on the other hand, I remember not being impressed by him in the OW game in 2021.

Dobbs was a notoriously bad practicer, but when the lights came on he came alive. HH was at his best under the lights in high pressure situations. JG was phenomenal in practice.

Thats where it gets tough. You have to play the guy that practices the best, until you see the other guy in a high pressure situation and see how he reacts.

On the Hooker thing, you just have to understand where it's challenging to pick a starting QB.

Milton clearly is a show stopper in practice. Virtually every practice report we've ever read about him praises him. HH on the other hand, I remember not being impressed by him in the OW game in 2021.

Dobbs was a notoriously bad practicer, but when the lights came on he came alive. HH was at his best under the lights in high pressure situations. JG was phenomenal in practice.

Thats where it gets tough. You have to play the guy that practices the best, until you see the other guy in a high pressure situation and see how he reacts.

It doesn’t take a full season of live game action to see it though.

Reactions: cgrish
I'm still hoping Heupel can bounce back next year. But he seems to put staff continuity/loyality above results. And concerned he can't recruit at a high enough level.

Reactions: jonnon111
1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.
I couldn’t agree more. The blind spot with Joe and loyalty to underperforming coaches is the 2 main concerns. I would also add the hesitancy to play underclassmen in certain positions is the other problem I notice.

I like CJH, but if Spurrier or Saban had Nico on the bench I feel almost certain that they would have figured out a way to get him meaningful snaps. Maybe even create a 2 QB scenario.

Reactions: utvols74
They don't like to answer that question. He jitsu wanted to make a thread consolidating the same old complaints from this season.
It’s more about next season and having a more experienced QB. Meaningful snaps are good to have.

And it remains at the top because you, I, and others clicked on it and responded.
Sometimes it’s necessary to tell someone when they’re being a Fing idiot. It’s not like we haven’t had fifty thread on this in the offseason already, one is on the front page already. But your point is taken; thanks for making me aware I’m being an idiot myself.

Reactions: Jehu and TJSVOLS
This has got to be Willie's last season. That whole group is being replaced. Ofcourse, that could be a reason to give him another year too

Agree he should have started Moore!

VN Store

Back