Two concerning things about Heupel so far in his tenure here that bother me.

They don't like to answer that question. He just wanted to make a thread consolidating the same old complaints from this season.
We’d have an answer to that question had Heup sat Joe for being underwhelming. Which was very often. I understand it if you have a bum on the bench. We had a highly touted option on the bench. We will never know either way. But let’s not sit here and act like better QB play couldn’t have made a difference. All the stats are there to show you Joe was below average in the SEC. Especially for a top tier program. Yet some like you want to act like we’re spouting baseless garbage for calling a spade a spade.

It’s amazing to me how so many seem to forget that when Hooker came in after Milton was injured, he really did not look much better than Joe. He was extremely fumble prone and inconsistent on his deep balls. There’s a reason Josh Heupel is making millions and you’re on the couch yapping about nothing.

I like CJH, but if Spurrier or Saban had Nico on the bench I feel almost certain that they would have figured out a way to get him meaningful snaps. Maybe even create a 2 QB scenario.
I believe that the decision to not play Nico more was to preserve his redshirt. The counter to that would be he will get drafted after his Jr. year, so you aren't gaining anything by redshirting. But, it might be possible you have him for a 3-yr. starter. IMO, it's highly unlikely he would have changed the outcome of any game and any snaps he might have gotten in mop-up wouldn't have been meaningful in terms of development. Also consider he was injured to some degree earlier in the year, so that made the decision to red-shirt more palatable. Another factor: impact it may have had on team morale.

Reactions: MaTaLa
No one seems to give Josh and staff credit for the massive improvement in Hooker and Hyatt which led to the devastating offensive firepower in 2022. If MacIntyre signs on you then have Nico, Merklinger and George on board. That group will win some SEC championships. Honesty Milton improved overall without as good of a supporting cast as Hooker had and the schedule flip with Bama and UF on the road. The new Vols looked strong vs. Iowa so what is really out there to wallow around in doubt and misery over?

Every coach that sees Joe at the combine, will think the same thing that Joe Heupel and Jim Harbaugh, and every other coach does, he looks great in practice and drills and off the field everything! The NFL coaches will think they can fix Joe also! And I actually have a theory that Joe will be better as a pro because you have pros all over the field and the way he throws the ball with the speed in the NFL. Mine actually work OK…..

I’m OK with Banks and since we turned over the entire secondary doesn’t look like Martinez is going anywhere soon unfortunately I wish we could replace him also.

20 Wins in 2 seasons say he is right. What he has done in 3 years is amazing. Coach started with almost nothing. Some of you Vol fans are never satisfied.

Well said....they have to left in their own delusion because no matter how many games we win, how much the defense improves, or far we've come over the past few years, they will still complain and try to drag everyone else into believing their negative, miserable lies about Tennessee Football.

That's the world we live in right now......doesn't matter what the truth is, there are people that want you to believe their "pretend" reality and participate in it as if it's real or normal.

GBO

1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.
first off the Nico in the bowl game is not the Nico you would have seen had he started during the season. Secondly, his family had a deal that he would be redshirted.. so who do we start? Third Milton was fine.. what game did he lose us? We would have more likely than not lost more games under Nico than Joe. Y'all act like dude was a scrub or something.

The whining about the defensive coaches is proof of fans that dont know football and just join in the groupthink... someone comes up with some stupid idea it get repeated over and over no matter how untrue it is. When you remember nothing but bad and look for bad of course you'll see things a certain way. I bet you're one of the same guys who swore Hadden was terrible until he got hurt and the defense missed him badly. If we fire these coaches who do we hire to replace them? Do you have available candidates lined up?

2023 PFF scores
Team Grades
Overall: 85.7

Offense: 75.9

Pass: 72.0

Pass blocking: 65.6

Receiving: 69.8

Run: 91.4

Run blocking: 58.1

Defense: 87.5

Run defense: 75.8

Tackling: 75.3

Pass rush: 88.3

Coverage: 89.1

Special teams: 84.6

1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.
Let it go

OP, your point number 1 - Nico was going to preserve the redshirt this year. I'm sure Heupel wanted to start and play him more, but other factors weigh in here. Everything being.said and heard around Nico and his recruitment was redshirt this year so.if things go sideways he has an extra year of eligibility should he transfer.

Point number 2 - this is just crazy talk, sort of. Banks defense has improved in every category every year. I haven't looked it up, but I believe it ended the year as a top 10 or 15 defense overall. Now the sort of part...like most, I agree that he one place the defense has not.improved and actually went backwards has been safties and dbs. Matinez should not have been retained.

It’s amazing to me how so many seem to forget that when Hooker came in after Milton was injured, he really did not look much better than Joe. He was extremely fumble prone and inconsistent on his deep balls. There’s a reason Josh Heupel is making millions and you’re on the couch yapping about nothing.
The ones paying attention remember

Had he ran the read option inside the 10
correctly and kept it against Pitt we win.

20 Wins in 2 seasons say he is right. What he has done in 3 years is amazing. Coach started with almost nothing. Some of you Vol fans are never satisfied.
He's 1-3 vs UF & Bama, and 0-3 vs UGA. If you're happy not even making or coming close to the SECCG every year then hang a banner.

Are we really still talking about Joe and trying to blame him? Geezus.
Ikr.. Joe is no longer there... and he was a wonderful teammate and VFL….bygones 😂.. now the Martinez thing I may be more receptive to… I think Josh’s flaw is basically he is a good person and sometimes someone has to be the b

Tua didn't get much action until the 2nd half of the bowl game....
And Milroe didn’t start one game this year. And Spurrier no doubt would have opened the job up if the 6th year senior was not getting the job done.

I believe that the decision to not play Nico more was to preserve his redshirt. The counter to that would be he will get drafted after his Jr. year, so you aren't gaining anything by redshirting. But, it might be possible you have him for a 3-yr. starter. IMO, it's highly unlikely he would have changed the outcome of any game and any snaps he might have gotten in mop-up wouldn't have been meaningful in terms of development. Also consider he was injured to some degree earlier in the year, so that made the decision to red-shirt more palatable. Another factor: impact it may have had on team morale.
I thought about all this and I understand it. But not playing him this year has the potential to affect next year. 1-2 losses and no playoff.

I agree that both are issues of concern and you could even lump those in together and say that he is resistant to change altogether. Either way, the cheerleaders on here are going to roast you for offering any opinion about staff that is not 100% positive.

Well said....they have to left in their own delusion because no matter how many games we win, how much the defense improves, or far we've come over the past few years, they will still complain and try to drag everyone else into believing their negative, miserable lies about Tennessee Football.

That's the world we live in right now......doesn't matter what the truth is, there are people that want you to believe their "pretend" reality and participate in it as if it's real or normal.

GBO
My theory is you have one moron who says “fahr Willie he can’t coach” and then you have a bunch of posters who don’t understand scheme or how defense is coached jump on the bandwagon.

This belief that he doesn’t coach DB’s to turn their head is just unbelievable to me.

VN Store

Back