Two concerning things about Heupel so far in his tenure here that bother me.

The best employees still get performance reviews and discuss ways to improve. Not being satisfied can be a catalyst to greater things.

The best employees get performance reviews by those qualified to do so. Fans that don't see the ins and outs of the program and therefore don't know what goes into the decisions they don't like are hardly qualified to do so.

Everybody lived through Dooley-Pruitt and now some are trying to criticize the coach who got us to double-digit wins in only his second season, something that hadn't happened since 2007. He also got us to 11 wins for the first time since 2001.

Idk who you think we are, but we ain't that. I remember reading how Missouri was trying to figure out how they'd do against the East when they got into the SEC, and how they (correctly) predicted that Tennessee would be an easy win. I laughed. Tennessee an easy win for Missouri??? GTFO. No, they were right. The reputation is bad. Heupel has changed that for the most part, and he did it with Tim Banks and Willie Martinez. To add to this, this is not a dream job for a DC. The offense is designed to lose the TOP battle. It's not like firing Banks guarantees an upgrade.

Can we just please enjoy the good times while we're in them?

I got no complaints about Josh..I think that he is doing just fine..jmo.
Bro I want more than Cheez it bowl trophies I want to beat Georgia I want to get to the playoff and win the SEC and compete for Nattys. I remember a time when we expected to beat Florida , Georgia and Bama every year and if we didn’t or win the East the season was a huge disappointment.

Reactions: Remy
Lol. Next season any bad play will be Joe’s fault because if it wasn’t for him Nico would’ve gotten more reps!
LOL naw that can't work.
We've been told if Nico played we'd be 10-2 at worse. If he was that capable of starting as a freshman then he didn't need those reps and we should expect that type of play this season.
But yeah I know what you're getting at.
I expect to hear exactly what you said or "we" paid $8 million for this if the season doesn't go as expected.
I'm not too worried about Nico, he's a gamer but I sort of concerned with him getting hurt from doing a lot of running and trying to make something happen.

Joe gone.
True. But his haters will make sure he remains on VN. They got Kal-El syndrome.
1705275112256.png
Nico, old bean, this thread demonstrates how we have some fans who will turn on you like a school of piranhas if you so much as imagine yourself having a sub par game. So don't be surprised if you get Joe Milton-ed.

I saw Hooker play at Virginia Tech when my son was a student there. I was not impressed. I had serious doubts that he could be successful here when he took over for Joe.
It was great for us that he made the most with his 2nd chance. I had similar hopes for Milton when he got his 3rd oppurtunity.

The best employees get performance reviews by those qualified to do so. Fans that don't see the ins and outs of the program and therefore don't know what goes into the decisions they don't like are hardly qualified to do so.

Everybody lived through Dooley-Pruitt and now some are trying to criticize the coach who got us to double-digit wins in only his second season, something that hadn't happened since 2007. He also got us to 11 wins for the first time since 2001.

Idk who you think we are, but we ain't that. I remember reading how Missouri was trying to figure out how they'd do against the East when they got into the SEC, and how they (correctly) predicted that Tennessee would be an easy win. I laughed. Tennessee an easy win for Missouri??? GTFO. No, they were right. The reputation is bad. Heupel has changed that for the most part, and he did it with Tim Banks and Willie Martinez. To add to this, this is not a dream job for a DC. The offense is designed to lose the TOP battle. It's not like firing Banks guarantees an upgrade.

Can we just please enjoy the good times while we're in them?
This is a fan message board where we go to opine. There is nothing official about all this. Some folks don’t understand this.

Yeah. You’re probably right. He put his multi million dollar contract on the line and didn’t let Nico play because he was afraid he’d be better than Joe.

He 100% doesn’t care about his own stability or his families, it’s just blind loyalty to a kid that would be gone in a year regardless.

It’s the most logical explanation. Let’s run with it.
I never said he was "afraid" he'd be better than Joe. Reading isn't your strong suit.

There's a loudmouth booster here in town (his name's on buildings, you'd know him) who claims that when he asked coaches directly why Nico didn't play much, they said it's because right now he's physically fragile, spends a lot of time in the training room and they didn't want to risk significant injury. They want him to put on more muscle. This guy's a real blowhard so take that for what it's worth.

Banks is highly regarded in the profession by a wide range of coaches, not just Coach Heupel. He's done more with less and will do even more with, uh, more. I do think that if forced to choose between Banks and Garner, I'd keep Garner 10 times out of 10.

Couldn't agree with you more about Martinez though. Not a fan.

Informative! I still never said any of that. You missed my point, and that's ok. Have a good night.
It’s literally quoted for you to reread. I apologize if you’re embarrassed that you posted such a silly thing, I’ll drop it to save you further stress.

I'm still hoping Heupel can bounce back next year. But he seems to put staff continuity/loyality above results. And concerned he can't recruit at a high enough level.
Yeah the guy that’s been our winningest coach in the last 20 years does not care about winning… y’all think hiring a new staff member is plug and nothing… or takes time to truly change a program and culture… if the chemistry is there in the staff and we have showed continued improvements in defensive play each year whats so bad about staff continuity… it’s part of what helped Clemson rise… I just feel heup has earned alot more trust and y’all will see it come together completely over the next couple of years. He has put us in excellent position going into this new playoff era of college football.

lol the "blind loyalty to Joe". If you guys think that you need to dig deeper. You cant honestly believe Nico could take the beating he got in the bowl game. Every game this season. Because he would have and the result wouldnt have been any different. This staff knew that. So they decided to protect Nico. Was Joe good? no not really. Was the offensive line good in pass protection? no not really. Were the WR good in running routes and catching balls? No not really. Issues this season were not all on Joe. Even playcalling wasnt great. I think this year we finally felt alittle bit of the sting from the 33 players or, what ever the number was, that transferred when we burned our house down. I have a feeling we will feel it again next year. 2022 was a glimpse of what Heupel could do once he gets this thing built. Tennessee Football is in good hands.

Bro I want more than Cheez it bowl trophies I want to beat Georgia I want to get to the playoff and win the SEC and compete for Nattys. I remember a time when we expected to beat Florida , Georgia and Bama every year and if we didn’t or win the East the season was a huge disappointment.
We've never had a stretch where we beat Florida, Georgia and Alabama every year. When we were beating Georgia and Alabama, Florida was sticking it to us

Reactions: Ned Ray McWorkher

VN Store

Back