Two UT Dorms Getting Renamed For Black Leaders

Orange Hall | University Housing (utk.edu)

White Hall | University Housing (utk.edu)

Oh no! It's the end of the world!

Seriously, not sure why this is such a big deal? Especially as it pertains to Mr. Robinson as he has a legitimate historic tie to the university. Someone explain to me why they think this is a bad thing, because personally, I don't see it. How is it different from naming any building on campus after someone?

It isnt a bad thing per se. I'd bet it was way different than how they usually go about this type of business, would be my guess.

The link provided in the article said orange hall and white hall which must be newer dorms built since my time at UT in the 2000s.
Those two seem to be trailblazers that opened up the state school to people who payed taxes but were discriminated against based on the color of their skin. No problem with the school honoring them in this way
Both were involved with UT so I agree.

Reactions: VolnJC
I lived in Andy Holt and had an English class in Perkins fall semester. Miserable and the teacher hated me to boot.

I had to go from Reese to a building behind all the other buildings on the hill (maybe Dougherty engineering) for a math class. Not a fun hike in the rain.

Am I right that Andy Holt and Morrell were both kind of behind Carrick?

I had to go from Reese to a building behind all the other buildings on the hill (maybe Dougherty engineering) for a math class. Not a fun hike in the rain.

Am I right that Andy Holt and Morrell were both kind of behind Carrick?
Morrill was east of Andy Holt but they were both as far as you could get from any classroom.

Reactions: csmize
What was the name of the old dorm on that site? IIRC it started with an S and it had a store at the bottom of it.

Shelbourne Tower. Privately owned apartment building with 2 bars and an arcade on the ground floor. I remember the Maltese Falcon/Hymie’s and Horizon... also known as Slimey’s and Wh@r3 Zone.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Morrill was east of Andy Holt but they were both as far as you could get from any classroom.

Trying to figure what used to be where... There was a private apartment building with a calzone place called Silver Cuisine on the first floor. I think it may have been right where the orange and white dorms are now.

Trying to figure what used to be where... There was a private apartment building with a calzone place called Silver Cuisine on the first floor. I think it may have been right where the orange and white dorms are now.
That was Shelbourne. Andy Holt was where the dogwood magnolia dorms are. Morrill was where that grey block is on the map.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Not a big deal. Like many freshmen, I lived in Hess Hall (J202, RIP roommate, Rich). I don't know who Hess was; I'm sure it wasn't Rudolf Hess. Quarter system. No air conditioning. It truly was the good ole days.

I haven't been back since 2006, and only went to Neyland and Ferris Hall. I have no desire to return. But I do miss those days.

Last edited:
If they went to Tennessee and graduated and are
vfl's, I think it's good. Im sure they're nowhere near the level of marxists as todays black leaders.

Not a big deal. Like many freshmen, I lived in Hess Hall (J202, RIP roommate, Rich). I don't know who Hess was; I'm sure it wasn't Rudolf Hess. Quarter system. No air conditioning. It truly was the good ole days.

I haven't been back since 2006, and only went to Neyland and Ferris Hall. I have no desire to return. But I do miss those days.
I was initially assigned Hess in 2000 and the men’s side still didn’t have AC. My random roommate bailed on me (I think he figured out I wasn’t “urban”) and I wound up in Clement.

Orange Hall | University Housing (utk.edu)

White Hall | University Housing (utk.edu)

Oh no! It's the end of the world!

Seriously, not sure why this is such a big deal? Especially as it pertains to Mr. Robinson as he has a legitimate historic tie to the university. Someone explain to me why they think this is a bad thing, because personally, I don't see it. How is it different from naming any building on campus after someone?

People saw “renamed after Black leaders” and were immediately resistant

Reactions: GAVol and OHvol40
I would have gone with Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.
iu

..... and I approve.

Gilmour... the best ever.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Theotis has strong ties to UT and is plenty worthy of the honor. Grier seems more like woke pandering.

What would Republicans do without their cute words used for hating on people? Does saying "woke" make you feel better than somebody else? It does, doesn't it. smh

VN Store

Back