Two UT Dorms Getting Renamed For Black Leaders

When naming something for anyone, there's a level of pandering going on. That's just reality. And the subtext of these "snarky comments" is pretty vitriolic IMO. Certain posters seem angry over something that should not invoke anger. I don't understand why. This may be the politics forum, but not everything needs to be viewed through a political lens. That's true of both sides. There's nothing to be angry or snarky about here.

I think there's a certain amount of willful ignorance involved in some of the opposition to this as well. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out that a) these dorms aren't named for anybody currently (and the current names are pretty silly), and b) the contributions of the individuals being honored.

If the university had taken the stance of naming the two dorms after random black people with no historical ties to the university or the state itself, I could understand the snark. That's not what they did. And yes, the current environment does play a role, but how many buildings are named for white people versus buildings named for black people? There's nothing wrong with that realization leading to change. And as for timing, have people forgotten this is Black History Month? Of course universities, govt. agencies, or whoever else you want to point out is going to use the timing for publicity. That's called marketing. Take off the political focus for one moment. Like I said, not everything has to be seen through a political lens. The university is looking for good publicity. Most everything they do not related to education is about good publicity. That's true of any university/corporation/agency.

There's no reason to be angry or snarky over this. None. It makes no sense. And ftr, I've not accused anyone of being a racist. You brought that term to our conversation.
I’m neither angry nor snarky I see this as a deserving recognition for both. I’ve stated so in this thread. I know you didn’t make an accusation I was say saying the snark isn’t automatically grounded in racism or that was my intent anyway.

I find it hard to find fault with people being jaded after the two plus years of pandering to this woke narrative. That’s all.

I think there's a certain amount of willful ignorance involved in some of the opposition to this as well. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out that a) these dorms aren't named for anybody currently (and the current names are pretty silly), and b) the contributions of the individuals being honored.
Me also. I’m just not looking to infer maleficent intent on anybody not overtly gushing on it🤷‍♂️. Indifference isn’t automatically negative.

I still don’t see an issue sister. There is no “outrage”. There is clearly support from both sides of the aisle in here for the naming. And one of those you’re pushing was knocking your idiot asses not dismissing the naming.

Didn’t feel like typing this out earlier, but agree 100% with Weezer - if you describe the first couple pages of this thread as “clear support” you aren’t being honest

Didn’t feel like typing this out earlier, but agree 100% with Weezer - if you describe the first couple pages of this thread as “clear support” you aren’t being honest
I didn’t see any attacks on the individuals as being unworthy. Can you point those out for me?

I didn’t see any attacks on the individuals as being unworthy. Can you point those out for me?

Lol at you trying to define this narrowly. Yeah, just attacks on the school president, attacks on the “woke cult” driving the decision, suggestions that OJ is a black leader and even the positive comments largely saying “guys, it’s not THAT bad,” but nothing negative to see here.

See my previous post. It's Black History Month and the university has a chance to drum up good publicity. It's not politics, it's business.
Check. I will retract my statement. Perfectly acceptable

Lol at you trying to define this narrowly. Yeah, just attacks on the school president, attacks on the “woke cult” driving the decision, suggestions that OJ is a black leader and even the positive comments largely saying “guys, it’s not THAT bad,” but nothing negative to see here.
I’m not defining it narrowly. You’re inferring racial tones on anybody not stating positive support. Again indifference isn’t mal intent.

I’d guess you’re more “woke” than I am also. That’s clear from your posts. Sorry/not sorry that my own level of support for this, which I’ve stated I support, doesn’t rise to your threshold of goodness

Definitely some assumptions and cookie cutter responses occurred.

Reactions: clarksvol00
I can't understand why this thread is still going. Who cares why a couple of non-descript dorms are named after a black person?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I can't understand why this thread is still going. Who cares why a couple of non-descript dorms are named after a black person?

I assume the same reason somebody cared that the NASA HQ formerly known as "Two Independence Square" was being renamed for Mary W. Jackson.

I assume the same reason somebody cared that the NASA HQ formerly known as "Two Independence Square" was being renamed for Mary W. Jackson.
That’s probably aimed at me. But why not include the whole reference why not bring up the renaming of a road to immortalize a damn movie title huh? That was patently stupid.

Name anything after a white person today and you get persecuted for racism. Why does any building need to be renamed? Are you a racist?

Oh ok. Missed that exchange. Or if I participated I missed his contribution. Carry on.

Volstrom was the original poster that mentioned renaming the NASA building yesterday. You and I exchanged relatively innocuous comments related to my post that nobody was being cancelled if I remember correctly.

Wait until word gets around that the Orange and White dorms were built to be torn down and replaced in just a couple of decades. Just another example of inequality. The white guy named buildings were solidly built.

Geier's connection to the school stems from her ridiculous lawsuit against the university so, no, she does not deserve to have a dormitory named after her.

Geier's connection to the school stems from her ridiculous lawsuit against the university so, no, she does not deserve to have a dormitory named after her.
So. No. Hell no even. Somebody had to be first. Somebody had to challenge the establishment. These two, both of them did. Her lawsuit was the manifestation of that challenge. And she won.

Plus the university has deemed her worthy of that honor. And that’s the only opinion that matters in all this.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Name anything after a white person today and you get persecuted for racism. Why does any building need to be renamed? Are you a racist?
I think they should just have numbers. Oh wait.. I think I read somewhere that math (numbers?) is racist.

Reactions: golfballs

VN Store

Back