Two UT Dorms Getting Renamed For Black Leaders

People saw “renamed after Black leaders” and were immediately resistant
Standard response from trumpkins.

If people would actually read about Theotis Robinson they'd realize he's quite deserving. He basically single-handedly (along with his parents) got the university to admit black students.

Standard response from trumpkins.

If people would actually read about Theotis Robinson they'd realize he's quite deserving. He basically single-handedly (along with his parents) got the university to admit black students.
I’m a Trumpkin and think it’s a great idea to pay tribute to meaningful people. No matter their color

Reactions: NorthDallas40
There isn’t one. Idiots like sister evil are saying lol look at the right outrage where there is no outrage at all.

And let me quote the dismissive posts making light of the naming

Excellent. Might I suggest George Floyd and OJ Simpson.
And the sissified woke cult continues its petty assault.
Saving those for public housing. George Floyd Heights. OJ terrace.
Orange Hall bad.

White Hall privileged.

And let me quote the dismissive posts making light of the naming
I still don’t see an issue sister. There is no “outrage”. There is clearly support from both sides of the aisle in here for the naming. And one of those you’re pushing was knocking your idiot asses not dismissing the naming.

I still don’t see an issue sister. There is no “outrage”. There is clearly support from both sides of the aisle in here for the naming. And one of those you’re pushing was knocking your idiot asses not dismissing the naming.

That’s really convenient for you I guess.

Sorry to butt in, but I couldn't help myself.

Sorry to butt in, but I couldn't help myself.
Oh I’ll bet you’re all giggly. The difference is I’m right. There is no outrage and you did keep bringing “but Obama” after we were no longer taking about it. Next time I’ll just say you’re FOS? Better?
1887DE8C-843A-4110-9F82-4647578AF364.gif

Sounds like a plan.
Look you’re an intelligent person. But in that exchange you were trying to manufacture outrage also. Just like sister evil is here. There is no outrage here and you were unsuccessful in manufacturing outrage in the Kashoggi thread. We can condemn the act while not getting involved which is what many of us were saying to you. The weak ass stance of our government on it appears to cross party lines however. But that keeps us the hell out of it so fine by me. Cheers

Oh I’ll bet you’re all giggly. The difference is I’m right. There is no outrage and you did keep bringing “but Obama” after we were no longer taking about it. Next time I’ll just say you’re FOS? Better?
View attachment 354793

Some people don't seem to like the idea so there is some outrage. I don't think it's as easy as tying it to political ideologies which is what EL loves to do, but I find myself surprised at people giving pushback over this.

Some people don't seem to like the idea so there is some outrage. I don't think it's as easy as tying it to political ideologies which is what EL loves to do, but I find myself surprised at people giving pushback over this.
That’s just it. I see some snarky comments which frankly this screams a tad “woke” but have you seen anybody saying this is wrong? These two had a direct impact on diversity in our state college. They are having their names added to buildings otherwise not named for individuals so their is no sleight there. Good for these two... even if there is a tad bit of pandering in the process. All in all it looks like a net positive. Good.

Wait isn’t she a bama fan? I remember her doing the coin toss of the 03 or 05 bama game wearing crimson.
Nobody’s perfect. And she’s a much better choice than Whoopi Goldberg or Ann Beard Grundy.

That’s just it. I see some snarky comments which frankly this screams a tad “woke” but have you seen anybody saying this is wrong? These two had a direct impact on diversity in our state college. They are having their names added to buildings otherwise not named for individuals so their is no sleight there. Good for these two... even if there is a tad bit of pandering in the process. All in all it looks like a net positive. Good.
When naming something for anyone, there's a level of pandering going on. That's just reality. And the subtext of these "snarky comments" is pretty vitriolic IMO. Certain posters seem angry over something that should not invoke anger. I don't understand why. This may be the politics forum, but not everything needs to be viewed through a political lens. That's true of both sides. There's nothing to be angry or snarky about here.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Look you’re an intelligent person. But in that exchange you were trying to manufacture outrage also. Just like sister evil is here. There is no outrage here and you were unsuccessful in manufacturing outrage in the Kashoggi thread. We can condemn the act while not getting involved which is what many of us were saying to you. The weak ass stance of our government on it appears to cross party lines however. But that keeps us the hell out of it so fine by me. Cheers

Cool with me.

Edit: added bold. I'll @ you in other thread.

Last edited:
When naming something for anyone, there's a level of pandering going on. That's just reality. And the subtext of these "snarky comments" is pretty vitriolic IMO. Certain posters seem angry over something that should not invoke anger. I don't understand why. This may be the politics forum, but not everything needs to be viewed through a political lens. That's true of both sides. There's nothing to be angry or snarky about here.
Eh I think you’re inferring the anger and vitriol. Again I see just snark and in the current environment there’s much that’s snark worthy. These two have been deemed worthy of having their names put in these structures. The rational makes sense. Good for them and their families. But that same rational would have made sense last month or last year too. Couple that with Mary Jackson getting NASA HQ named for her this month, which again another amazing individual and well deserving of honor, along with “Hidden Figures Ln” (a damn movie title?!) and it’s hard to not blame people for being jaded. That doesn’t mean they are racists tho.

Edit: snark at the individual isn’t warranted I’ll state that. Snark at the timing and circumstances is understandable I think.

The pushback you speak of is the wokeness of the announcement. Why not just let their good works speak for themselves and leave pigmentation out of the announcement.

Eh I think you’re inferring the anger and vitriol. Again I see just snark and in the current environment there’s much that’s snark worthy. These two have been deemed worthy of having their names put in these structures. The rational makes sense. Good for them and their families. But that same rational would have made sense last month or last year too. Couple that with Mary Jackson getting NASA HQ named for her this month, which again another amazing individual and well deserving of honor, along with “Hidden Figures Ln” (a damn movie title?!) and it’s hard to not blame people for being jaded. That doesn’t mean they are racists tho.
If the university had taken the stance of naming the two dorms after random black people with no historical ties to the university or the state itself, I could understand the snark. That's not what they did. And yes, the current environment does play a role, but how many buildings are named for white people versus buildings named for black people? There's nothing wrong with that realization leading to change. And as for timing, have people forgotten this is Black History Month? Of course universities, govt. agencies, or whoever else you want to point out is going to use the timing for publicity. That's called marketing. Take off the political focus for one moment. Like I said, not everything has to be seen through a political lens. The university is looking for good publicity. Most everything they do not related to education is about good publicity. That's true of any university/corporation/agency.

There's no reason to be angry or snarky over this. None. It makes no sense. And ftr, I've not accused anyone of being a racist. You brought that term to our conversation.

Reactions: NashVol11
The pushback you speak of is the wokeness of the announcement. Why not just let their good works speak for themselves and leave pigmentation out of the announcement.
See my previous post. It's Black History Month and the university has a chance to drum up good publicity. It's not politics, it's business.

VN Store

Back