'27 TX LB/DB Cooper Witten

kid will never leave texas

You got some inside scoop?

My wife is from there, and TBH I can't believe Witten stayed. I guess for his family? It's so hot and flat and boring. We almost moved there for a $40k raise and incredible flight benefits, but I would never choose to live there all else being equal. I can't imagine summer football practice. The winters there are so fugly. Picture bare naked trees like in Tennesse, but no mountains, and there is freeze damage every other year. I guess Austin is quite a bit better in every one of those regards.

Reactions: walkenvol
You got some inside scoop?

My wife is from there, and TBH I can't believe Witten stayed. I guess for his family? It's so hot and flat and boring. We almost moved there for a $40k raise and incredible flight benefits, but I would never choose to live there all else being equal. I can't imagine summer football practice. The winters there are so fugly. Picture bare naked trees like in Tennesse, but no mountains, and there is freeze damage every other year. I guess Austin is quite a bit better in every one of those regards.
I think you underestimate how Texans view that place, further what husbands do for their wives

I think you underestimate how Texans view that place, further what husbands do for their wives

No income tax!!! Which is great if you have a huge income...if you don't, then they get you with property tax, which is insane in comparison to mine in AZ. We were looking at homes, and adding some thing like $1400/month to the payment to account for taxes. I pay that in 1 year here.

No income tax!!! Which is great if you have a huge income...if you don't, then they get you with property tax, which is insane in comparison to mine in AZ. We were looking at homes, and adding some thing like $1400/month to the payment to account for taxes. I pay that in 1 year here.
Johnson City, and each subsequent locality has gone to State to request special permission to raise our property taxes 21%, 30% for above average earners. Then County followed suit.

So, for each person working who can, on a good day appreciate a 3% annual increase. Will take a decade to increase to that cost of living, in TN.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Itā€™s funny to me that heā€™s Jasonā€™s kidā€¦if I didnā€™t know any better I would think he belongs to his uncle Shawn based on that highlight filmā€¦that family just knows how to play football

I was at that game and at least a dozen others while Written was a Vol. He had good speed but not a burner.
My kids and I used to joke that the Cowboys version of Witten was too slow to be covered. He was constantly open and we assumed the NFL LBs and DBs couldnā€™t run slow enough to cover him.

I know he is a legacy but 3 stars just arenā€™t going to cut it in todays recruiting world.
Ya think he has a chance to improve that over the next 2 years? How many 5 stars are in this year's SOPHOMORE class? If you think a school can recruit a class of only 4 and 5 stars, you know nothing about recruiting.

kid will never leave texas
I was told that no one but Penn State had a shot with LaVar Arringtonā€˜s kid because legacies want to follow their fathers. This, in spite of the fact that he lived in California. But just like that, being a legacy is now less important than location.

Gotta love Tennessee fans.

I was told that no one but Penn State had a shot with LaVar Arringtonā€˜s kid because legacies want to follow their fathers. This, in spite of the fact that he lived in California. But just like that, being a legacy is now less important than location.

Gotta love Tennessee fans.
Do you see Jason actively involved in the program? I havent. In fact, I think he has been back, once, maybe twice.

Reactions: onevol74
Do you see Jason actively involved in the program? I havent. In fact, I think he has been back, once, maybe twice.
The article sure sounded like the kid was raised by 2 parents who immersed him in Vol fandom, based on the kidā€™s own words.

I was led to believe with Arrington that it was about the kidā€™s father being a great player at Penn State. No mention of his subsequent ā€œinvolvementā€ being a dispositive factor.

He may not go to UT. Itā€™s just funny how a certain segment of our fans love to change the standards so everything works against Tennessee.

ā€œHis dad was a great player at Penn Stateā€¦so even though heā€™s from California, no way he goes anywhere else!ā€

Then:

ā€œWell, this kidā€™s dad was a great player at Tennessee, soā€¦ā€ ā€œNo, no, he grew up in Texas, so he has no loyalty to Tennessee, plus his dad doesnā€™t come back much. Poor Tennessee.ā€

By the way, Witten has been back. Came back last year and I believe a game the year before. Remember, heā€™s only recently retired from the NFL, and then he did MNFā€¦not a lot of opportunities to go to UT games with that schedule.

The article sure sounded like the kid was raised by 2 parents who immersed him in Vol fandom, based on the kidā€™s own words.

I was led to believe with Arrington that it was about the kidā€™s father being a great player at Penn State. No mention of his subsequent ā€œinvolvementā€ being a dispositive factor.

He may not go to UT. Itā€™s just funny how a certain segment of our fans love to change the standards so everything works against Tennessee.

ā€œHis dad was a great player at Penn Stateā€¦so even though heā€™s from California, no way he goes anywhere else!ā€

Then:

ā€œWell, this kidā€™s dad was a great player at Tennessee, soā€¦ā€ ā€œNo, no, he grew up in Texas, so he has no loyalty to Tennessee, plus his dad doesnā€™t come back much. Poor Tennessee.ā€

By the way, Witten has been back. Came back last year and I believe a game the year before. Remember, heā€™s only recently retired from the NFL, and then he did MNFā€¦not a lot of opportunities to go to UT games with that schedule.
You can tell yourself whatever you want to believe. He has one kid committed to Rice.

Maybe i'm wrong, but, getting a kid out of Texas. Esp one with strong sense of family, will be tough.

My lens is looking at this as a father though, versus any other info.

Anyway, next topic.

You can tell yourself whatever you want to believe. He has one kid committed to Rice.

Maybe i'm wrong, but, getting a kid out of Texas. Esp one with strong sense of family, will be tough.

Anyway, next topic.
Rice would have a tough game against ETSU or UTC. The older son must not have inherited as much of Dadā€™s football talent as the younger son. Doubt it has as much to do as staying in Texas verses not being recruited on a national level. JMO

Anyway, next topic.
Did Tennessee offer the older kid? If not, I'm not sure why it matters that he's at Rice.

Cooper might want to play football with his older brother at Rice. Let's not forget if Cooper Manning hadn't have got a career ending injury Peyton would've played football at Mississippi with Cooper.

We're arguing hypotheticals and opinion. Its a waste of time. I think kid stays in TX, you dont. Time will tell. You need to be right, I dont care. So, now ... šŸ˜Ž
I don't know where he goes. He may stay in Texas. He may follow dad. That's the point....we don't know. But either way, our negative fans will assume that it's not Tennessee, either because he's a legacy somewhere else or because he's a legacy at Tennessee, but lives somewhere else. It's just funny how the presumptions always shift away from Tennessee's favor.

So sure...I need to be right....about not knowing. Because that somehow makes sense.

Last edited:
I don't know where he goes. He may stay in Texas. He may follow dad. That's the point....we don't know. But either way, our negative fans will assume that it's not Tennessee, either because he's a legacy somewhere else or because he's a legacy at Tennessee, but lives somewhere else. It's just finny how the presumptions always shift away from Tennessee's favor.

So sure...I need to be right....about not knowing. Because that somehow makes sense.
IMG_8470.gif

Don't get me wrong.....I think it would be cool if he came here, but the last 10 years has just left a "meh" taste in my mouth when it comes to legacies. Maybe I'm forgetting one, but I can't think of any that turned out to be great.

Don't get me wrong.....I think it would be cool if he came here, but the last 10 years has just left a "meh" taste in my mouth when it comes to legacies. Maybe I'm forgetting one, but I can't think of any that turned out to be great.
Evan Berry was a great kick returner, but not great as a DB (although every time he got a pick, it seemed like he took it to the house). Elliot didn't do much. Kahlil didn't live up to the hype. TK2 didn't either. Vic Wharton had a solid career at Cal and never should've left, but wasn't extraordinary. Dillon Bates was a bust. I was high on the Jenkins kid before he transferred.

The Mays boys have been the best legacies.

Yeah, it seems you're right.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Evan Berry was a great kick returner, but not great as a DB (although every time he got a pick, it seemed like he took it to the house). Elliot didn't do much. Kahlil didn't live up to the hype. TK2 didn't either. Vic Wharton had a solid career at Cal and never should've left, but wasn't extraordinary. Dillon Bates was a bust. I was high on the Jenkins kid before he transferred.

The Mays boys have been the best legacies.

Yeah, it seems you're right.
OK so yeah, I forgot the Mays brothers.....derp

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back