'27 TX LB/DB Cooper Witten

You can tell yourself whatever you want to believe. He has one kid committed to Rice.

Maybe i'm wrong, but, getting a kid out of Texas. Esp one with strong sense of family, will be tough.

My lens is looking at this as a father though, versus any other info.

Anyway, next topic.
Let's not spin this like CJ committed to Rice, and chose them over Tennessee, though. I know you didn't explicitly say as much, but twice have mentioned that Jason has one son committed to Rice without acknowledging that Rice is by far his best offer. Tennessee isn't an option for him. If it were, I'd bet dollars to donuts he'd peace out the state of Texas without a second thought.

Evan Berry was a great kick returner, but not great as a DB (although every time he got a pick, it seemed like he took it to the house). Elliot didn't do much. Kahlil didn't live up to the hype. TK2 didn't either. Vic Wharton had a solid career at Cal and never should've left, but wasn't extraordinary. Dillon Bates was a bust. I was high on the Jenkins kid before he transferred.

The Mays boys have been the best legacies.

Yeah, it seems you're right.
Eric Berry was also a legacy....

On the VQ podcast, Hubbs said Witten's kids have been to minimal Tennessee events and this will not be a lay down, if we want him.
Price countered with some arguments as to why he might pick Tennessee and Hubbs said, "that's a good point."

But no, this won't be a "lay down" recruitment for anyone. He's going to be highly sought after, it sounds like.

I had a great encounter with Mr. Witten. I was a frosh at Sullivan North and had went through 2-a days with the Varsity squad so I got to dress as a frosh. We had our yearly preseason scrimmage against Betsy and for some reason during, the coach looked at me and gave me the play to run in. I didnā€™t even realize till I got to the huddle and the quarterback was calling it that I was getting the ball. I was a full back a 5ā€™4 150 pound fullback. I got the handoff, seen my hole and (thought) I was gone! Unfortunately, I woke up a few seconds later to smelling salts and the next thing I seen was my coach grabbing Witten by the face mask cursing him telling him I was a freshman. I wasnā€™t even mad! Lol and to see what he turned into, itā€™s kind of a bragging right.

P.s. JW played DE in H.S. Most of yā€™all know that.

Last edited:
Tennessee offered a familiar name in the 2027 class last weekend in Cooper Witten. The son of Vol legend, Jason Witten, is the top-rated linebacker early on in the On3 Industry Rankings, and he was thrilled to get the offer from the Vols and that Josh Heupel was the one to extend the offer to him. Witten already has a number of offers including Missouri and Oklahoma.
-VQ

Lay down is a term AP and Hubbs use for recruits we should land.

The exact quote:
It's a legacy, but it is not going to be any kind of lay down legacy and not because Jason and his wife don't have a great affinity for Tennesse, it's just those boys have not been around Tennesse.
-Hubbs

VN Store

Back