U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

First off, the military has always been brutally competitive in rising through the ranks which means anyone who makes flag grade is typically a consummate politician. But they are politicians in an environment radically different from the civilian political arena so sometimes you get guys like Alexander Haig who made a fool of himself in the Reagan administration. Just don't think that it's never been political in the military. And the military hs always been sensitive to civilian politics because that's how they get the funding they need.

Second, you're trying to say civilian politics invading the military is new. McClellan ran against Lincoln in 1864 while serving as a Union General and McArthur had political operatives working on his behalf in the Wisconsin Republican primary while he was commanding the army in Korea.

At the end of the day we still have the best military in the world.

Yes I agree we do have the best military in the world thanks to our technology and NCO corp, the officer corp has little to do with it.

Reactions: tntar heel
First off, the military has always been brutally competitive in rising through the ranks which means anyone who makes flag grade is typically a consummate politician. But they are politicians in an environment radically different from the civilian political arena so sometimes you get guys like Alexander Haig who made a fool of himself in the Reagan administration. Just don't think that it's never been political in the military. And the military hs always been sensitive to civilian politics because that's how they get the funding they need.

Second, you're trying to say civilian politics invading the military is new. McClellan ran against Lincoln in 1864 while serving as a Union General and McArthur had political operatives working on his behalf in the Wisconsin Republican primary while he was commanding the army in Korea.

At the end of the day we still have the best military in the world.
I just hope we don’t have to prove it because some of our leaders are showing weakness

Yes I agree we do have the best military in the world thanks to our technology and NCO corp, the officer corp has little to do with it.

I guess our aviation communities, both USAF and USN, must be inferior since every one of their pilots is an officer. (The Army does have Warrant Officers who are pilots and that is a set of ranks designed for service members who do highly technical or managerial jobs but didn't get a college degree. )

Look, you clearly haven't been in the military. Nothing wrong with that, I am never critical of people who don't feel called to do it, BUT THEN DON'T start criticizing those who do, officers or enlisted. You don't have the credibility. Nothing personal meant, you can't understand unless you've been there.

When I was a new naval aviator I thought I had all the right answers and knew everything. My eye opening moment was getting assigned to the Navy Command Center during Desert Storm as a watch officer. It seems they did know what they were doing and really didn't need my help to win that war. Imagine my surprise.

I guess our aviation communities, both USAF and USN, must be inferior since every one of their pilots is an officer. (The Army does have Warrant Officers who are pilots and that is a set of ranks designed for service members who do highly technical or managerial jobs but didn't get a college degree. )

Look, you clearly haven't been in the military. Nothing wrong with that, I am never critical of people who don't feel called to do it, BUT THEN DON'T start criticizing those who do, officers or enlisted. You don't have the credibility. Nothing personal meant, you can't understand unless you've been there.

When I was a new naval aviator I thought I had all the right answers and knew everything. My eye opening moment was getting assigned to the Navy Command Center during Desert Storm as a watch officer. It seems they did know what they were doing and really didn't need my help to win that war. Imagine my surprise.

Hate to break it to you but yes I was in the Army for 6 years, appears that we were in around the same time. True that I can’t speak to the aviation side of the service but in the infantry the Os may give the orders but it’s the NCOs that get it done.

Reactions: tntar heel
Student military pilot is in critical condition after ejecting on to POWER LINES during training flight before jet crashed into three homes in Lake Worth

A military aircraft crash was reported on Sunday morning in Lake Worth, Texas that left three homes damaged and two pilots injured, with one in critical condition after being ejected from the aircraft and on to power lines.

The pilots, an instructor and a student, were using the aircraft as part of a military training course near Corpus Christi International Airport. The instructor pilot was in stable condition after being ejected in the neighborhood.

The student pilot was seen engulfed in flames before hitting powerlines, a witness told CBS 11.

Pilot in critical condition after landing on powerline from military aircraft crash near Fort Worth | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: Silence Dogood
US Submarine Hits underwater object in South China Sea
210311140957-01-uss-connecticut-submarine-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)A US nuclear powered submarine struck an object underwater in the South China Sea on Saturday, according to two defense officials.

A number of sailors on board the USS Connecticut were injured in the accident, the officials said. None of the injuries were life-threatening, according to a statement from US Pacific Fleet. It's unclear what the Seawolf-class submarine may have hit while it was submerged.

"The submarine remains in a safe and stable condition. USS Connecticut's nuclear propulsion plant and spaces were not affected and remain fully operational," the statement said. "The incident will be investigated." The US Navy did not specify the incident took place in the South China Sea, only that it occurred in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region.

US submarine hits underwater object in South China Sea - CNNPolitics
https://www.cnn.com/profiles/oren-liebermann

What kind of objects could possibly be submerged either naturally or by thd the ChiComs that would not show up on sonar?

Is that even possible? I am an AF brat and admittedly know little about sub navigation...is this just a junior officer crapping the bed and running into a reef or what? In that billion dollar sub lol..

What kind of objects could possibly be submerged either naturally or by thd the ChiComs that would not show up on sonar?

Is that even possible? I am an AF brat and admittedly know little about sub navigation...is this just a junior officer crapping the bed and running into a reef or what? In that billion dollar sub lol..

The Chinese have been playing with underwater drones, but you'd think something that bounced guys around inside a sub would be pretty massive.

Oh, a comment on one of the military news sites, "I hear Stacy Abrams was scuba diving in the area. Any word on her location?"

I agree, how is that even possible. A Billion Dollar submarine that can't see? Navy personnel that don't know how to operate the submarine?

I would say there is a good chance there was some cat and mouse being played with a ccp vessel and they got to close..

Of course during the Cold War it happened very frequently. That was a contentious few decades but now we supplement that activity with our trade with the enemy

A U.S. Navy nuclear submarine in the Indo-Pacific is limping back to Guam with some bumps and bruises after hitting an unidentified object while submerged.

The incident involving the USS Connecticut took place on Oct. 2, according to a Thursday statement from the Pacific Fleet. No one sustained any life-threatening injuries.

The submarine’s nuclear propulsion was not damaged in the crash and remains fully operational, while officials are still evaluating the extent of the damage to the rest of the submarine.

The fleet’s statement did not mention what the object was that the submarine hit, though the incident is under investigation.

An anonymous official told the Navy Times that the area’s topography didn’t indicate a landmass in front of the submarine. That individual also noted that there were no indications that the incident was actually a hostile and intentional action.

You are being redirected...

A U.S. Navy nuclear submarine in the Indo-Pacific is limping back to Guam with some bumps and bruises after hitting an unidentified object while submerged.

The incident involving the USS Connecticut took place on Oct. 2, according to a Thursday statement from the Pacific Fleet. No one sustained any life-threatening injuries.

The submarine’s nuclear propulsion was not damaged in the crash and remains fully operational, while officials are still evaluating the extent of the damage to the rest of the submarine.

The fleet’s statement did not mention what the object was that the submarine hit, though the incident is under investigation.

An anonymous official told the Navy Timesthat the area’s topography didn’t indicate a landmass in front of the submarine. That individual also noted that there were no indications that the incident was actually a hostile and intentional action.

You are being redirected...
Kraken?

Hate to break it to you but yes I was in the Army for 6 years, appears that we were in around the same time. True that I can’t speak to the aviation side of the service but in the infantry the Os may give the orders but it’s the NCOs that get it done.
It's the same in the Nav. I respect Naval Aviators to enth degree, because they fly over the open water with no where to land, but fact is without the enlisted mechs and maintainers the pilots have multi-million dollar pieces of metal sitting on deck.

Reactions: Wireless1

It’s a Seawolf… so prob more like $5 billion

It's the same in the Nav. I respect Naval Aviators to enth degree, because they fly over the open water with no where to land, but fact is without the enlisted mechs and maintainers the pilots have multi-million dollar pieces of metal sitting on deck.

I dont really care about this argument, I know officers, NCOs/enlisted who are all tough as nails. But the opposite is also true, without the pilots, mechanics and maintainers just have pieces of metal sitting on the deck.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
I dont really care about this argument, I know officers, NCOs/enlisted who are all tough as nails. But the opposite is also true, without the pilots, mechanics and maintainers just have pieces of metal sitting on the deck.

Thanks for your input.

3500 pilot hours flying the finest aircraft in the world maintained by the finest men and women on earth. It was an honor.

3500 pilot hours flying the finest aircraft in the world maintained by the finest men and women on earth. It was an honor.
I was raised by an Airedale, married an Airedale bro. I have nothing but respect for the men and women who shoot off the flat tops or trap a helo on a frigate in 20 ft seas. Incredible to me. Effing brown shoes.

VN Store

Back