U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

I would say there is a good chance there was some cat and mouse being played with a ccp vessel and they got to close..

Possible, IMO if that was the case we would never hear about it unless loss of the submarine or life.

Reactions: AM64
If you believe the Chinese are advanced enough to have managed this collision, there's a lot that makes even more sense in the Chinese reaction. They want those waters uncontested - end of story.

Zhao, the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, said the accident exposed the “serious threat and significant risk to regional peace and stability” posed by U.S. naval operations in the South China Sea aimed at challenging China’s claim to virtually the entire strategic waterway. He also accused the United States of delaying the release of information about the collision, and he reiterated China’s objections to a deal announced last month to provide Australia with nuclear-powered submarines in what Beijing sees as part of a campaign to counter its rising military and economic power in Asia.

“The U.S. side should abandon its old cold war and zero-sum thinking and narrow geopolitical concepts and stop this wrong approach that undermines the peaceful and stable development of the region,” Zhao said.

Damaged US sub in port after undersea collision in South China Sea

I wonder if the boat had to return to port at surface.

The ship has had to transit at the surface and is slated to arrive in Guam today, said the official, who added that it’s unclear whether the Connecticut’s damage will affect its mission readiness.

“The submarine remains in a safe and stable condition,” the Navy said in a statement. “USS Connecticut’s nuclear propulsion plant and spaces were not affected and remain fully operational.”

I've only found this in one story although I thought I read it in a different story yesterday.

Officials: 11 sailors injured after USS Connecticut submarine ‘struck an object’ underwater earlier this month

Reactions: Orangeburst
I've only found this in one story although I thought I read it in a different story yesterday.

Officials: 11 sailors injured after USS Connecticut submarine ‘struck an object’ underwater earlier this month

Apparently that HY100 steel is a bear to weld or repair when procured. Hopefully they can do it on Guam. The optics of a Seawolf hitching a ride back to the states will be a propaganda victory for the CCP even though they probably had no collision with a CCP vessel..CCP subs strong

Apparently that HY100 steel is a bear to weld or repair when procured. Hopefully they can do it on Guam. The optics of a Seawolf hitching a ride back to the states will be a propaganda victory for the CCP even though they probably had no collision with a CCP vessel..CCP subs strong

There are lots of stories about containers falling from cargo ships. You never know. Can you imagine "There we were just rolling along, minding our own business at 250 ft and got smacked by a load of car batteries."

There are lots of stories about containers falling from cargo ships. You never know. Can you imagine "There we were just rolling along, minding our own business at 250 ft and got smacked by a load of car batteries."
Yep. Many of those cargo ships are navigating over capacity right now during a time of severe supply shortages. It's definitely a possibility

Yep. Many of those cargo ships are navigating over capacity right now during a time of severe supply shortages. It's definitely a possibility

I watched one travel up river in Savannah a few years ago, and couldn't believe how high the containers were stacked and with no signs of support. That was nothing compared to pictures I've seen lately. You wonder where the center of gravity is and why we haven't heard of a container ship capsizing.

I watched one travel up river in Savannah a few years ago, and couldn't believe how high the containers were stacked and with no signs of support. That was nothing compared to pictures I've seen lately. You wonder where the center of gravity is and why we haven't heard of a container ship capsizing.

Not container cargo, but I remember seeing this quite sometime ago. The aspect ratio is awful

Last edited:
The ship has had to transit at the surface and is slated to arrive in Guam today, said the official, who added that it’s unclear whether the Connecticut’s damage will affect its mission readiness.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it were necessary for the sub to go all the way to Guam at the surface that its mission readiness is currently compromised.

FYI, I'm retired Navy. Submarines. I don't know any more than what we have all read in the news, but I do know how the game is played underwater.

"Underwater object". Right. I actually laughed at that one. Like calling an illegal alien an "Undocumented Immigrant".

There's more to the story. Just let it play out. Odds are, we will never know what really happened, but watch the Wardroom of the USS Connecticut. If the CO, XO, Navigator, or OOD get relieved, then we screwed up. If not, then they were exactly where they were supposed to be, and doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

When you play chicken, sometimes you bump.

FYI, I'm retired Navy. Submarines. I don't know any more than what we have all read in the news, but I do know how the game is played underwater.

"Underwater object". Right. I actually laughed at that one. Like calling an illegal alien an "Undocumented Immigrant".

There's more to the story. Just let it play out. Odds are, we will never know what really happened, but watch the Wardroom of the USS Connecticut. If the CO, XO, Navigator, or OOD get relieved, then we screwed up. If not, then they were exactly where they were supposed to be, and doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

I was wondering when you would chip in

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it were necessary for the sub to go all the way to Guam at the surface that its mission readiness is currently compromised.

Yep, That's the part that really got my attention. I won't swear to it, but I went back later to see if I remembered correctly about having to move surfaced; and if it was in fact the same article, that part had been scrubbed.

Yep, That's the part that really got my attention. I won't swear to it, but I went back later to see if I remembered correctly about having to move surfaced; and if it was in fact the same article, that part had been scrubbed.
When I spoke with my buddy that served aboard an Ohio-class sub, he had heard a limited update about the status of the USS Connecticut. I'm not really wanting to put it out there on the internet. It wasn't good.

Never liked the explanation for the CCP and Burke bumps when Obama was President. Navigational issues!
With Taiwan heating up, 1 of 3 Deep Diver Seawolfs out. Step up Virginias.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

The Murmansk Brushing Incident.

I think they made a movie about that.

Never liked the explanation for the CCP and Burke bumps when Obama was President. Navigational issues!
With Taiwan heating up, 1 of 3 Deep Diver Seawolfs out. Step up Virginias.

I have this feeling the Los Angeles Class could still clean the clocks of anything the Chinese would throw at us.

I was wondering when you would chip in

I probably shouldn't have, but I'm 21 years past retirement (2000). I was never on the Pac side, but I did my time in the Med and up north. I've been there. There's a lot going on that the average citizen never hears about. Go read "Blind Man's Bluff", by Sherry Sontag. How she got some of that info, I'll never know. Must have bought a lot of rounds at the Horse & Cow.

I still have contacts in the Silent Service. Mostly Atlantic side. But the game is much the same, whether it's the Russians, or the Chinese.

Ignore anything you hear from the Pentagon, or the WH. That ain't what happened. Watch the Wardroom of the UConn.

Any bubblehead worth his dolphins knows what happened here. We just can't say it.

I probably shouldn't have, but I'm 21 years past retirement (2000). I was never on the Pac side, but I did my time in the Med and up north. I've been there. There's a lot going on that the average citizen never hears about. Go read "Blind Man's Bluff", by Sherry Sontag. How she got some of that info, I'll never know. Must have bought a lot of rounds at the Horse & Cow.

I still have contacts in the Silent Service. Mostly Atlantic side. But the game is much the same, whether it's the Russians, or the Chinese.

Ignore anything you hear from the Pentagon, or the WH. That ain't what happened. Watch the Wardroom of the UConn.

Any bubblehead worth his dolphins knows what happened here. We just can't say it.

Did you get a tattoo after not "being able to talk about it"?

A friend of mine that I have not seen in years was aboard the USS Alabama and our master tech at a prior company. I used to prod and he was tight lipped just on "how deep can u go".
I applaud the submariner community as one gets nothing. Honor and Integrity. Hope it still holds true.

I honestly belive the future of naval conflict is subsurface. Stealth is the name of the game in any of the 3 domains.

BTW, Thank You for your service.

VN Store

Back