UAB game discussion

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I thought I would go ahead and start a thread for some preview chatter on the UAB game.

Do you think it's fair to compare Hackney with Steve McNair? I am not implying that he is that good but I think his build and style of play are very similar.

I hope Blazer doesn't get mad at me, but I know absolutely nothing about UAB. I HAVE heard folks say UAB will give Tennessee fits and that they shouldn't be taken lightly. Is Hackney as good as Erik Ainge?

Hackney is more experienced than Ainge and is more mobile. Of course, I think Ainge has a bigger upside.

Uh... he's one of the best QBs I've ever seen (and I've followed football quite closely for many years). Last year, he threw for over 3,000 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, 55% completion rate.... but that doesnt even tell the whole tale. Against Baylor, we got up 56-7 and took Hackney out of the game in the 3rd Quarter. Against TCU, Hackney threw 5 TD passes in the first half of the game. When we returned for the 2nd half, he only played a few minutes of the 3rd Quarter. UAB also has a pretty balanced attack. In fact, in most games, we had far more run plays than we did have pass plays.

Here's some video from our Media Days... it has some video clips of Hackney from last year. http://www.cstv.com/cgi-bin/csvideo.cgi?sc...&sport=FOOTBALL

Hackney is very good, but the thing that makes him unique is the fact that he is huge and probably one of the hardest QB's to tackle in the college game.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Aug 5, 2005 10:15 PM
So, IF Tennessee shuts him down, I guess that makes us pretty damn good?
[snapback]122382[/snapback]​

Few teams have. I mentioned it once before and I'll say it again... Hackney and our offense was held under 20 points just once last year (against a stingy FSU defense). Offense should be the least of UAB's worries in this game. Not that it will be easy against UT, but offense is UAB's forte without question.

I don't think UAB will have much luck running the ball and I do believe that we will get some pressure on him. However, I also believe that our secondary will give up some passing yards.

No, it's more a matter of shutting down everyone around him. Unless you're talking about Michael Vick, a man needs something working for him to win some games like that. Hackney's very good, but he's not *that* good.

About all id seen of him was a clip, He dropped a shoulder and laid some kid out. When on the run he hits back?
But i dont believe he'll get away with much of that on the CRUSH.

I was watching this past year's UT vs UAT game, and UAT's WRs had the UT DBs beat on half the plays. UAT's problem was that they didnt have a QB that could put the ball where it needed to be. If UT DBs get beat by UAB's WRs, Hackney WILL burn them. Hackney has a rocket for an arm and has amazing accuracy. Wont find many QBs with a 3:1 TD:INT ratio. UAB's average OL size is 315lbs (SEC size) and all are quick and experienced.

As for our RBs, both average about 5 yards per carry. One's a bruiser and the other is a bit more of a slasher. We use our TEs to run the ball at times too.

I think the UAB game will be a tight game for the 1st maybe 2ndQ. But it will start to spread out over time in the 3rd and 4th. UT has too much, however it wont be a dominant game. UT just has too much, AND theyre in K-ville. JMO.

We can crush everyone around him... But he's tough. I just looked on our roster -- Hackney is bigger than almost every linebacker on the Vols roster. :eek:

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Aug 5, 2005 10:28 PM
About all id seen of him was a clip, He dropped a shoulder and laid some kid out. When on the run he hits back?
But i dont believe he'll get away with much of that on the CRUSH.
[snapback]122406[/snapback]​

Absolutely. As you can see in my sig, he loves the stiff-arm too. The one in my sig is a Miss State defender. He had a vicious one against a TCU defender as well... I think there's some video of it in that video I posted at the top. He also loves to lay some licks on people and he's not afraid. I'm not talking about him laying out little DBs... he's laid out some LBs and even small DL.

Here's a picture of Hackney dragging an East Carolina defender...

a-hackney111602.jpg

Originally posted by Smokey_Vol@Aug 5, 2005 10:46 PM
He looks like a Leftwich?!?!?!?
[snapback]122448[/snapback]​

Yeah... he's definitely gotten that comparsion before too. Or a Dante Culpepper.

What ever highlight id seen? It looked like a DB trying to play smash mouth with him. He covers the ball up well once he's decided to run.

I understand he's a big and tough guy, But will the ALA-B staff let him take to much of a beating? As play calling, to limit him from risks.

Yes, the UAB coaching staff allow him to do what's necessary. We dont often (if ever) design run plays for Hackney. But if he's forced from the pocket, he'll do what's necessary to get positive yardage. And he wont get a few yards and slide... he runs over people.

Another thing is that UT defenders better get him down quickly. Hackney has enough upper body strength that he's thrown at least 1 TD pass and other long completions with a defender draped all over him...

a-hackney102602.jpg

Sounds like Jared Lorenzen, but with talent.

Yeah... we're all really thinking he'll be quite high in next year's draft. But sometimes, coming from a school like UAB, it makes us less certain simply because of the stigma around "midmajor" teams and players.

And he's not quite as large as Lorenzen, but he is definitely more mobile.

Is Hackney gonna be a junior or senior?

And don't worry about the stigma from mid-majors... Alex Smith was the first pick, and there was even a D-IAA player taken second round.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 5, 2005 11:14 PM
Is Hackney gonna be a junior or senior?

And don't worry about the stigma from mid-majors... Alex Smith was the first pick, and there was even a D-IAA player taken second round.
[snapback]122496[/snapback]​

This will be his senior year.

Yeah, it isnt the mid-major being a problem. More of what do NFL GM's think of a huge, great arm and mobile QB? Not tippytoe thru the daisys with grace but drop his shoulders like a Fullback and tap someone.
Its all he knows, When eles fails his size doesnt.

VN Store

Back