UAB game discussion

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 6, 2005 12:12 AM
Uh... he's one of the best QBs I've ever seen (and I've followed football quite closely for many years).  Last year, he threw for over 3,000 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, 55% completion rate.... but that doesnt even tell the whole tale.  Against Baylor, we got up 56-7 and took Hackney out of the game in the 3rd Quarter.  Against TCU, Hackney threw 5 TD passes in the first half of the game.  When we returned for the 2nd half, he only played a few minutes of the 3rd Quarter.  UAB also has a pretty balanced attack.  In fact, in most games, we had far more run plays than we did have pass plays. 

Here's some video from our Media Days... it has some video clips of Hackney from last year.  http://www.cstv.com/cgi-bin/csvideo.cgi?sc...&sport=FOOTBALL
[snapback]122375[/snapback]​

Obviously you never saw Peyton Manning. As a throwing QB you can have Hackney and I'll take Manning and all things being equal I'll beat you by 2 TD's every time.

Manning's
Soph year he threw for 3,000 yds 22 TD's, 4 INT's, 64% Completion rate
Jr year he threw for 3,300 yds 20 TD's, 12 INT's 64% completion rate
Sr. year he threw for 3,800 yds 36 TD's, 11 INT's, 60% completion rate

Career 11,200 yds 89 TD's, 33 INT's, 62% completion rate

vs Hackney

FR - 1,977 yds 14 TD's, 7 INT's, 51% completion rate
SO - 1,659 yds 9 TD's, 6 INT's, 51% completion rate
JR - 3,070 yds 26 TD's, 8 INT's, 55% completion rate

Career 6,700 yds 49 TD's, 21 INT's, 53% completion rate

Hey... Manning doesn't play for us anymore. But Hackney is relevant to the topic, because he will be playing against us soon.

And besides, anybody with half a brain would take Manning over Hackney.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 6, 2005 2:33 AM
Hey... Manning doesn't play for us anymore. But Hackney is relevant to the topic, because he will be playing against us soon.

And besides, anybody with half a brain would take Manning over Hackney.
[snapback]122545[/snapback]​

Read what he said in the first line.

I think we are just trying to admit Hackney has talent. Not relate him to Peyton. In alot of ways admire AUB for the date.

Sure come to our house, I could even almost say Blazer85 is happy his team took the match. A good showing for them even in a loss? shows testicular circumference. I can see in C-USA where this is strides.

That's fine and great and I have no problem with UAB but this is different

Uh... he's one of the best QBs I've ever seen (and I've followed football quite closely for many years).

its all good that uab has a big, mobile qb, cuz weve got a good sized handful of big, mobile dlinemen. hello mr. hackney, meet mr. mahelona, mr. harrell, mr. haralson, mr. mcbride, mr. hall, etc. u dont have to bring a qb down to pressure him anyways. all u need is enough pressure to hurry a qb.

Ok... a couple of things... I AM very well aware of who Manning was, but a couple of points about that. Manning had a supporting cast of much better players than what Hackney has had to deal with (ie, better WRs, better OL, etc). Secondly, Hackney, again played just 3-4 games his freshman and sophomore years. Both years he was injured. Last year was his only year where he was unhampered by injury and you can see what he did. If he had been unhampered by injury, I dare say his numbers his freshman and sophomore years would be close to 3,000 yards as well. I mean when you cut that many games out of a kid's freshman and sophomore years, that's going to hurt your stats. It makes it look like he played, and he did... but not the whole year by any means.

Originally posted by hvwarrior58@Aug 6, 2005 5:39 AM
its all good that uab has a big, mobile qb, cuz weve got a good sized handful of big, mobile dlinemen. hello mr. hackney, meet mr. mahelona, mr. harrell, mr. haralson, mr. mcbride, mr. hall, etc. u dont have to bring a qb down to pressure him anyways. all u need is enough pressure to hurry a qb.
[snapback]122570[/snapback]​

Hackney used to feel pressure to hurry his pass in the past, but he's learned that it's better to just tuck the ball away and try to get as many yards as possible. He's learned from a few costly games not to try to force the pass. 26 TDs to 8 INTs for last year was one of the best touchdown to interception ratios. He's a smart guy and won't make many mistakes. He'd rather take a sack alot of times because he averages about 11 yards on every pass. UAB doesnt do alot of quick 5-6 yard slants. UAB, when looking for the pass, tends to do a 20-30 yard pass or just look for the long bomb. For example, one of our WRs deep down the depth chart had just 2 catches last year, but for about 70 yards, so he had a 35yd per catch average.

Just looked it up. In 2003, Hackney was out for 5 full games. In 2002, Hackney was out for 1 full game, and didnt play but in maybe half of 3 more games. That's 6 full games, and at least 3 half games... so let's just call it 7.5 full games. He averages about 300 yards passing per game, so if he kept with his average, that would give him 2,250 more yards. Which would put him at 8,950 for his career to this point. I know it's all theoretical, but you cant look at his stats and try to make that point because again, I dont think Manning was hampered by any injury and I know you guys wouldnt argue in me saying that he had a better supporting cast. Manning was a VERY good QB, but you cant compare Hackney and Manning considering they play on two very different teams. If Manning had played with UAB's players, I can just about assure you he wouldnt put up those kind of numbers. Throwing the ball is only half the job... youve got to have somebody to catch it.

If UAB is gonna beat TENN, they better learn the 5-8 yard slant and try to work it in under our LB's. I don't care how bad our secondary was last year, they WILL NOT allow a Conf. USA QB to beat them by throwing 20-30 yard "Bombs" downfield all day.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Aug 6, 2005 9:18 AM
If UAB is gonna beat TENN, they better learn the 5-8 yard slant and try to work it in under our LB's.  I don't care how bad our secondary was last year, they WILL NOT allow a Conf. USA QB to beat them by throwing 20-30 yard "Bombs" downfield all day.
[snapback]122604[/snapback]​

No... we do 20-30 yard slants typically. Our "bombs" are like 60+ yards. Hackney has two records in CUSA. As a freshman, he got the CUSA record for longest TD pass (94-yards). As a sophomore, he broke his own record for longest TD pass (95-yards).

Another little tidbit of info on his strength. Hackney, on his knees, can launch the football 60 yards down the field. Standing upright, he can launch the ball 80 yards.

blah blah blah.

hackney is a punk. who has played nothing but punks. ohh big game against baylor. wow.

when he has 108000 screaming tennessee rednecks in his ear he will wither away and die.

keep dreaming blazer. ut 48 uab 10...... turn out the lights the party is over.

Just to add a few points to the discussion:

Hackney is very talented and a blast to watch. The 2 limitations he has are 1) he is not very tall - he's listed as 6'2" but probably more like 6'1". I think this will impact his draft status. 2) he's had knee problems. They may be completely fine but often once you've had a knee problem - they come back.

I've seen him live about 5 times and his mobility and arm strength are quite impressive. He can toss a touch pass down field about 30 yards while on the run with seemingly just a flick of the wrist.

As to the comment about UA receivers beating UT DB's last year; it did happen but my guess is that it was partly by design. The defensive scheme was to load the box, stop the run and make Spencer throw it. It was a gamble that paid off since Bama was held to it's lowest rushing total and Spencer sucked! Had the legendary "Brodie" been in the game, I would bet that you'd have seen better coverage.

UAB/UT should be an entertaining game.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Aug 6, 2005 9:30 AM
blah blah blah.

hackney is a punk. who has played nothing but punks.  ohh big game against baylor. wow.

when he has 108000 screaming tennessee rednecks in his ear he will wither away and die.

keep dreaming blazer. ut 48 uab 10...... turn out the lights the party is over.
[snapback]122611[/snapback]​

:laugh1: One thing in common here. UT will be #3 when UAB plays them (just as UGA was when we played them) and we lost by just a FG. Keep taking them lightly. I know some of these Vol fans are not so naive, but some of you are setting yourself up for disappointment by picking such big blowouts. Maybe you will blow UAB out, but I doubt that even if UT wins that it will be a blow out. Just dont be upset if it's a much closer game than you expect.

IF Tennessee DOES blow UAB out, will you be here to tell us what a GREAT job Tennessee did? Because apparently UAB is so damn awesome that it's gonna be "impossible" to cover the spread against them.

Will I disappear? Nope. I dont really EXPECT UAB to win, but I dont think it's a pipe-dream to think UAB has any chance at all. It wouldnt be the first time an SEC has taken UAB lightly. As I've said before, I would venture to bet UAB fans known UT better than UT fans know UAB. Many of you having admitted you know little about UAB are still predicting a blowout, and with little to no knowledge of UAB, I dont know how you can make such claims.

And I dont know why youre putting the quotes around impossible, because I most certainly did not say that.

just take ur 3 million and lay down. lol

ut has had a couple of crappy opening games the last few years. unlv and fresno st. we should of killed both of them. if the coaching staff has our guys prepared this will be fun.

but, the way the ncaa has limited scholarships, the playing field hasnt leveled but it is alot closer to sea level. if u get my drift.

maybe uab is this awesome one man show. who knows.

all i know is on sep 3 i will be in the stands raising hell and i expect the same from the big orange.

they might wanna adopt the quick pass. if hackney wants to sit in the pocket all day, hes gonna end up on the ground alot. i wouldnt worry about him tucking the ball either. as good as he is being made out, id say the coaches will stick a spy on him all day. he may be elusive, but i can guarantee that simon and/or mitchell will be licking their chops when they see him sprinting.

Yeah... most of our passes are quick slants. Alot of our receivers have pretty good speed 4.3-4.4 so they can get down the field just about as fast as any other team's WRs.

Another interesting thing. Alot of times we'll stack the backfield. You guys have probably never even seen or heard of it ...or maybe you have. It's not common, but it does exist. Sometimes UAB will have Hackney in and then stack 2 or even 3 RBs behind him.

Originally posted by hvwarrior58@Aug 6, 2005 10:32 AM
what formations? was that meant to be sarcastic or serious?
[snapback]122635[/snapback]​

No... I'm serious. I dont know what it's called, but basically there was the Center, QB, FB, RB, A-Back all in a line. UAB plays with an A-back (Norris Drinkard). He had a limited role last year and didnt play really any games early in the season. We only really began to use him in the latter half of the season. Pretty good, quick little back, but not very big.

Sounds like a Stack I formation. I'm assuming what you are calling an "A-back" is what most refer to as an H-back; basically a hybrid between a TE and a FB that motions a lot.

Are you really serious that you sont think tennessee is going to blow UAB away. Besides the fact that we have never lost to a mid major team under Fulmer, Besides the fact that even though u lost by a field goal aginst georgia last year, we actually beat them, and besides the fact you lost one of your main offensive productor in your wide reciver and you think you can hang with posibly the best defense in the nation???? not likely.

VN Store

Back