unconventional
Heavyweight Championship
Junior dos Santos(15-1) vs. Frank Mir(16-6) - TKO

Cain Velasquez(10-1) defeats Antonio Silva(16-4) - TKO

Roy Nelson(17-7) defeats Dave Herman(21-4) - KO

Stipe Miocic(9-0) defeats Shane del Rosario(11-1) - TKO

Stefan Struve(24-5) defeats Lavar Johnson(17-6) - Submission

Last edited:
Should be a great card. All heavyweight bouts.

Jason Miller is on the preliminary card. Maybe he'll finally get his first UFC win. He's 0-2 with losses to GSP and Bisping.

I've been looking more forward to this event than any other that has been scheduled so far this year. Everyone knew that Jones would win against Evans, and everyone predicts that Silva will keep his title against Sonnen, but there is no telling what will happen at 146. I still wish Overeem was still on the card though. Watching Dos Santos' striking against a K1 champion would have been sweet!!

Predicts (for right now, subject to change)

Mir over Dos Santos. No disrespect to Santos but his win over Velasquez was an upset. All Mir has to do is get the fight to the ground and Santos will be in very unfamiliar territory. Mir has to keep his hands up though to avoid what happened to Valasquez.

Cain Velasquez over Silva. Velasquez IMO is the best HW in the UFC right now. He's too good all around for Silva.

Nelson over Gonzaga. Don't really know much about Gonzaga to be honest, and all reports are saying that Nelson is somewhat taking training more seriously now.

Rosario over Miocic. Rosairo just seems to have an easier time actually finishing fights than letting them go to the judges.

Struve over Hunt. This fight could easily go to Hunt but I think that Struve will be able to use his reach advantage over Hunt if this turns into a striking battle. I think this one will go to decision.

Last edited:
Gonzaga was a scratch. Nelson fights Dave Herman now.

Gosh I hope Mir wins this fight! I don't dislike JDS, but Frank is one of my all time favorites. Like VOLtage said, if he can get it to the ground, I feel like he has huge advantage. The key is to not get tagged when he shoots for a takedown. I'm super excited about this fight.

Also, Cain will destroy Silva. I don't look for that fight to get past the 1st Round.

I'll also take Nelson, Rosario, and Hunt. It's very possible that not a single fight on the main card goes to the judges. Tha would be amazing.

Just read this on the Underground

"Mark Hunt has been forced to pull out of his UFC 146 fight against Stefan Struve, MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the fight. As a result, Struve will now face Lavar Johnson on less than two weeks' notice.
Johnson last fought just 12 days ago at UFC on FOX 3. He knocked out Pat Barry in the first round of their main card fight.
Both Struve and Johnson enter the fight riding two-fight winning streaks."

Just read this on the Underground

"Mark Hunt has been forced to pull out of his UFC 146 fight against Stefan Struve, MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the fight. As a result, Struve will now face Lavar Johnson on less than two weeks' notice.
Johnson last fought just 12 days ago at UFC on FOX 3. He knocked out Pat Barry in the first round of their main card fight.
Both Struve and Johnson enter the fight riding two-fight winning streaks."

That's a really quick turnaround to fight a guy that I would think would be really hard to gameplan for. I respect Johnson for taking the fight. 2 wins in a month can really help you move up the HW ladder, also.

You have to wonder if this could be it for Roy Nelson should he lose.

I don't think it should be it for him since only one fighter has finished him and his fights are really fun to watch but he's 3-5 in his last 8 and turns 36 in June. If he loses, this might be the end of the road for him. So with that being said, I hope he wins just so he sticks around a little longer.

I think it will the end of him in HW. However, D. White has said that he would love to see Nelson in LHW. So he if he does lose to Johnson, but does cut to 205, he may be able to stay. Rogan, in the fight Nelson vs. Werdum, said he thinks Nelson could even be a middleweight with his kind of body, minus the fat.

Last edited:
Roy should definitly cut to 205, he looks slow and out of shape at 246 and 6'0 tall. It would probably take him 9 to lose 40 pounds though. A pound a week for 40 weeks.

I don't know if he has the self-discipline to change his body like that. His attitude when he was on TUF leads me to believe he's not very willing to change his ways on much of anything.

Still, I like to watch him fight and I want to see him stay in the UFC. I'll be rooting for him Saturday.

Roy should definitly cut to 205, he looks slow and out of shape at 246 and 6'0 tall. It would probably take him 9 to lose 40 pounds though. A pound a week for 40 weeks.

I'm thinking he's even slower compared to the competition at 205 lbs. I haven't watched him fight in a couple years, but I do remember him knocking out Brendan Schaub, who is one of the quicker handed heavyweights.

Opening Odds:

Lavar Johnson -110
Stefan Struve -120

Shane Del Rosario +125
Stipe Miocic -155

Dave Herman +180
Roy Nelson -230

Antonio Silva +300
Cain Velasquez -400

Frank Mir +375
Junior Dos Santos -550

........................................................ :unsure: .......................

roy-nelson-dave-herman.JPG

I'd be stunned if Mir beats JDS. Mir's last 3 opponents have all been losing more than they've been winning as of late. JDS is on a completely different level.

I'm expecting JDS to knock Mir out.

VN Store

Back