UFC 148 - July 7th @ 10PM ET

unconventional
Middleweight Championship
Anderson Silva(31-4) vs Chael Sonnen(27-11-1)

Forrest Griffin(18-7) vs. Tito Ortiz(16-10-1)

Cung Le(8-2) defeats Patrick Côté(17-8) - Unanimous Decision

Demian Maia(16-4) defeats Dong Hyun Kim(15-2-1) - TKO

Chad Mendes(12-1) defeats Cody McKenzie(13-3) - TKO

Mike Easton(13-1) defeats Ivan Menjivar(24-9) - Unanimous Decision

Last edited:
Not really looking forward to the first three fights. Odds favor all three to go the distance. That's fine as long as the fights are good but saw a few fights go the distance this past Friday and Saturday without a lot of action. The other three fights should be good though.

All 9 of Cung Le's fights have ended in KO's and TKO's. So that should be a good fight.

Tito's fights are usually pretty good too. Didn't he say he was retiring after his last fight though? He's definitely going to if he loses this fight. He's 1-6-1 in his last 8 fights. That's really bad.

Nothing really needs to be said about the Silva and Sonnen fight. Let's just hope it lives up to the hype. I'll be pulling for Silva without question. Not really a Silva fan or anything but I can't stand Sonnen.

Last edited:
I usually root against guys like Sonnen but for some reason I like him so I hope he wins. Pulling for Griffin in the co-maine event.

I usually root against guys like Sonnen but for some reason I like him so I hope he wins. Pulling for Griffin in the co-maine event.

There was a point in time when I would have pulled for Sonnen over Silva but I'm just not big on Sonnen anymore. Him, Bisping and Evans are about the only 3 fighters I really don't like. I think that's it anyways. If Brock returns, he's included as well.

There was a point in time when I would have pulled for Sonnen over Silva but I'm just not big on Sonnen anymore. Him, Bisping and Evans are about the only 3 fighters I really don't like. I think that's it anyways. If Brock returns, he's included as well.

With Sonnen I find him funny for some reason. I think it's more of an act with him just trying to get attention, but Evans, Bisping and Brock I think they really are pricks can't stand those three.

Middleweight Championship
Anderson Silva(31-4) vs Chael Sonnen(27-11-1)

Forrest Griffin(18-7) vs. Tito Ortiz(16-10-1)

Cung Le(7-2) vs. Patrick Côté(17-7)

Dong Hyun Kim(15-1-1) vs. Demian Maia(15-4)

Chad Mendes(11-1) vs. Cody McKenzie(13-2)

Ivan Menjivar(24-8) vs. Mike Easton(12-1)

Looks like a good card to me

It's good for the UFC if Sonnen defeats Silva. The UFC desperately needs a guy like Sonnen who can draw PPV buys. They need him to win because they no longer have Brock Lesnar. Whether you like him or not, and regardless of whether he admits it or not, Sonnen hypes fights. The more Sonnen talks, the more people will buy the PPV just to see him get his butt kicked, just like Brock. The difference? Sonnen is for real. Brock was/is one hell of an athlete, but Sonnen is a fighter.

I think it's smart business for Sonnen to revert to WWE tactics to sell a fight. Just like the WWE, people tune in to the UFC to be entertained. While most of what Sonnen says he says to hype or sell a fight, there is a lot of truth in there as well.

I've never been a huge Anderson Silva fan and here are a few reasons why:

- He's a great fighter, but after the fights with Demian Maia and Thales Leites, I don't care for him at all. Silva's antics during those fights were an embarassment, not only to himself, but to the sport of MMA.

- He pretends not to speak English when he clearly understands and speaks it.

- Outside of 3 fighters (Henderson, Sonnen, Marquardt), he's fought a bunch of mid-level fighters. I don't think that is a coincidence. Beating up math teachers and one-trick ponies doesn't impress me very much.

Sonnen will attack from the moment the referee tells them to get it on until the same guy tells them it's over. Silva's never faced a guy who brings the fight to him. Sonnen will do just that, and Sonnen will be your new UFC Middleweight Champion.

Sorry for the rant.

I wonder if Griffin and is even going to want to get within 25 feet of Silva after what happened to him lol. I got:

Silva TKO - He's going to be motivated out of his mind.
Griffin TKO
Cote decision
Maia submission
Mendes KO
Easton decision

Silva's never faced a guy who brings the fight to him. Sonnen will do just that, and Sonnen will be your new UFC Middleweight Champion.

Actually, Silva has had another guy bring the fight to him. Ask Griffin how that turned out. There is nothing more that Sonnen can bring that he didn't the last time they fought. A more motivated than he has been in years Silva will bring the world down on Sonnen.

Actually, Silva has had another guy bring the fight to him. Ask Griffin how that turned out. There is nothing more that Sonnen can bring that he didn't the last time they fought. A more motivated than he has been in years Silva will bring the world down on Sonnen.
Sure Sonnen can bring something that he didnt bring last time. He will bring the knowledge that he can beat Silva, and that he did beat Silva standing and on the ground for 4 1/2 rounds. Sonnen is in Silva's head big time.

This

Sure Sonnen can bring something that he didnt bring last time. He will bring the knowledge that he can beat Silva, and that he did beat Silva standing and on the ground for 4 1/2 rounds. Sonnen is in Silva's head big time.

While I understand where you are coming from I disagree. Saying that Sonnen will win because he brings the knowledge that he can beat Silva is like saying Craig Ehlo will successfully defend Michael Jordan just because he stopped Jordan on a couple possessions during the game.

Also, I think Silva has learned how to stop Chael from moving him, like what happened in the first fight. My reasoning for this is Silva's last fight against Yushin Okami. Okami is widely regarded as possibly the strongest middleweight in the UFC, and Okami trained with Chael to prepare for Silva. While I don't think that Okami's wrestling skill is as good as Sonnen's, I did not see Anderson even have to struggle to avoid the take downs Okami tried, which were done to duplicate Sonnen's method.

Lastly, .... do you really want to be in the head of the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Like, I can understand why you want to get into the head of any other opponent, but messing with Silva is like messing with King Leonidas. You better be prepared to get kicked down a deep well.

Last edited:
I understand your point, but I disagree. Did you watch the first fight? Chael had no problems taking the fight to the ground. He won't have any problems this time either. The first fight wasn't a close fight. Not by a longshot. I don't get now why people think Anderson will "destroy" Chael. What moment from that first fight gives you that impression? Also, "pound for pound" is a bunch of nonsense. There is no way to know who is better across weight classes.

I'm not looking at just that fight, I'm looking at the total of the two careers. Till Sonnen, Anderson had essentially only clearly lost one round to an opponent, Henderson. When I last saw the two fight I saw an unmotivated and injured Silva verse a guy with an illegal testosterone level 17 times that of a normal person. That falls outside the range of allowance for someone who even has been cleared for testosterone replacement therapy. This time Silva is ready for anything Chael will throw at him. Also, so what if Silva gets taken to the ground. He'll submit Chael like he did the first time, and like he did against Henderson.

I'm not looking at just that fight, I'm looking at the total of the two careers. Till Sonnen, Anderson had essentially only clearly lost one round to an opponent, Henderson. When I last saw the two fight I saw an unmotivated and injured Silva verse a guy with an illegal testosterone level 17 times that of a normal person. That falls outside the range of allowance for someone who even has been cleared for testosterone replacement therapy. This time Silva is ready for anything Chael will throw at him. Also, so what if Silva gets taken to the ground. He'll submit Chael like he did the first time, and like he did against Henderson.

The 17 times the normal level comes from his Piss test not a blood test, which is where it should come from, from what I have read.

I watched the fight again and you know, I think it will be all Silva.

Sonnen basically won the first 4 rounds. But during those rounds, Silva had him in position to tap him out a couple of times.

Sonnen threw the kitchen sink at him. He was tagging him, he was dropping elbows on the ground, he was throwing bombs on the ground, he was kneeing him on the ground.

4.5 rounds later, the champion tapped him out.

I get it.......... Sonnen did his thing for 4+ rounds.

But get this........... Silva has been training for it.

While everyone is quick to say that Sonnen owned him, what about the fact that Sonnen might have blown his only chance to throw Silva off guard? He threw everything he had at Silva and Silva still had enough to finish him in round 5.

That does not mean I don't think Sonnen can't beat Silva. It was a great fight. But let's not pretend like Sonnen can use the same game plan to beat the world champion. You know that Silva and has team have watched the fights also and he has trained for everything that Sonnen threw at him. Sonnen's fight worked in the first fight but Silva has been prepping to stop it.

I was pulling for Sonnen in the first fight but let's quit acting like Silva isn't one of the most dominant champions for a reason. Those take downs... Silva has been working on preventing it for half a year.

I'm not a Silva fan but it is what it is. Sonnen can beat him but let's not pretend it's going to be the same as the first fight. Not to mention, Silva looked lethargic in the first fight. As if he got used to being undefeated in the UFC and underestimated Sonnen.

Let's just say that Sonnen deserves the title if he wins. I think Silva is coming out in the best shape he's been in, in at least 2 years. He may not break arms or knock out teeth but I'm buying that's he's pissed, and not in a way that Sonnen is under his skin.

I've got Silva in 3 or less.

VN Store

Back