Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Every year I see people complain that the orange on the uniforms etc... is different than it was back in the day.

Truthfully it probably is but not on purpose look at the different materials that Jerseys & Pants are made out of now days compared to the 70'-90's your going to get variations. The color will change as it gets wet from rain or sweat.

Not to mention different textures you take take PMS 151 or any color for that matter and you paint 10 different items all made of different materials, textures and finishes your going to 10 different shades of the same color.

I am so excited about this season we could be on the cusp of something special but I wish to write about something I feel passionately about the uniforms in the first two games. Two games without any orange shirts or orange pants on them.
Tennessee Volunteers and Orange is iconic, it is unique, it is special, well to me anyway. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, Penn State gosh even little Vsndy go with two alternate uniforms. I don’t want to be like Oregon. For those who say it’s makes it modern and fun I say would you support the American flag having a different shade of red and blue on it or even worse replace the red with brown and the blue with purple just so you can sell more flags?…I thought not,
Sorry forme to be so grouchy and annoyed and I will still be cheering just as loud tomorrow but please give me back my Orange and White and White and Orange Nike.

I am so excited about this season we could be on the cusp of something special but I wish to write about something I feel passionately about the uniforms in the first two games. Two games without any orange shirts or orange pants on them.
Tennessee Volunteers and Orange is iconic, it is unique, it is special, well to me anyway. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, Penn State gosh even little Vsndy go with two alternate uniforms. I don’t want to be like Oregon. For those who say it’s makes it modern and fun I say would you support the American flag having a different shade of red and blue on it or even worse replace the red with brown and the blue with purple just so you can sell more flags?…I thought not,
Sorry forme to be so grouchy and annoyed and I will still be cheering just as loud tomorrow but please give me back my Orange and White and White and Orange Nike.
I hear ya, Man. This is my all-time favorite combo: Orange jersey/White pants w/ classic helmet
81tw30MKH3L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Did you complain when the lady vols wore baby blue but were winning the national title?

We all feel the same about the Vols. We all love the UT traditions the same as you. Most of us are not wiling to die on the Dabo "I will not change and use the protal" hill.

Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white or win in alternate uniforms? If the recruits like alt uniforms, then by all means have alts. Most of the recruit profiles we see on here, have them in the black uniforms....so the recruits must like it. Need the Jimmy's and Joe's to win.

I know you will say Alabama, Ohio St., etc never wear them, that is correct but recruits have seen them win a natty, while UT's last was a decade before these kids were born.

Winning titles can cure a lot, including the vibe and fun created by alt uniforms.

Did you complain when the lady vols wore baby blue but were winning the national title?

We all feel the same about the Vols. We all love the UT traditions the same as you. Most of us are not wiling to die on the Dabo "I will not change and use the protal" hill.

Did you complain when the lady vols wore baby blue but were winning the national title?.

I know you will say Alabama, Ohio St., etc never wear them, that is correct but recruits have seen them win a natty, while UT's last was a decade before these kids were born.

Winning titles can cure a lot, including the vibe and fun created by alt uniforms.

I respectfully disagree for instance:

Did you complain when the lady vols wore baby blue but were winning the national title?- totally different because of two words Pat Summitt
Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white or win in alternate uniforms? If the recruits like alt uniforms, then by all means have alts. Most of the recruit profiles we see on here, have them in the black uniforms....so the recruits must like it. Need the Jimmy's and Joe's to win. - try singing Nico, Brandon or David Sanders by paying them no NIL money but let them play in black

Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white - having supported the Vols since 2009 I think I have proved that winning isnt everything.

I respectfully disagree for instance:

Did you complain when the lady vols wore baby blue but were winning the national title?- totally different because of two words Pat Summitt
Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white or win in alternate uniforms? If the recruits like alt uniforms, then by all means have alts. Most of the recruit profiles we see on here, have them in the black uniforms....so the recruits must like it. Need the Jimmy's and Joe's to win. - try singing Nico, Brandon or David Sanders by paying them no NIL money but let them play in black

Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white - having supported the Vols since 2009 I think I have proved that winning isnt everything.

Right, Pat Summit was fine adding alt uniforms colors, we should be too.

NIL comes after, the alts are part of keeping or getting players interested and then the NIL helps get them to commit.

Being a Vol fan since '85 I have seen the best and the worst. I appreciate all the traditions and love them, but I can also adjust with the times. I remember when Neyland switched the turf in 1994, when they added the end zone upper deck in 1995.

Imagine if we didn't do any of those things because of the "not what we have done or not who we are" crowd.

Speaking of colors, did anybody else notice that we are skimping on the orange paint. Both the T at midfield and the orange in the checkerboards seemed to have a lot of green bleeding through. They could have done with another coat of Orange.

Speaking of colors, did anybody else notice that we are skimping on the orange paint. Both the T at midfield and the orange in the checkerboards seemed to have a lot of green bleeding through. They could have done with another coat of Orange.
Danny White certainly knows how to extract every single dollar from this program

Right, Pat Summit was fine adding alt uniforms colors, we should be too.

NIL comes after, the alts are part of keeping or getting players interested and then the NIL helps get them to commit.

Being a Vol fan since '85 I have seen the best and the worst. I appreciate all the traditions and love them, but I can also adjust with the times. I remember when Neyland switched the turf in 1994, when they added the end zone upper deck in 1995.

Imagine if we didn't do any of those things because of the "not what we have done or not who we are" crowd.
does that extend to changing the colors on the US national flag? In the Olympics they changed the Union Jack colors to pink and purple. Is nothing sacred from making more $ and £s?

does that extend to changing the colors on the US national flag? In the Olympics they changed the Union Jack colors to pink and purple. Is nothing sacred from making more $ and £s?
The US flag has nothing to do with attracting recruits to play for the University of Tennessee, alt uniforms do.

It is not about trashing traditions, it is about moving forward and putting a product on the field that makes fans excited. That also sells more tickets, sells more jerseys, hats, etc Which leads to a greater athletic budget, which leads to better facilities, which helps attract better recruits to all sports.

would you feel the same way if wearing alt uniforms gave us 6 natties since 2009 or would you stick to those guns have zero natties and to continue to be traditional?

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

Would you rather suck but always wear orange & white or win in alternate uniforms? If the recruits like alt uniforms, then by all means have alts. Most of the recruit profiles we see on here, have them in the black uniforms....so the recruits must like it. Need the Jimmy's and Joe's to win.

Alabama never sucked wearing their crimson and white, neither did Michigan wearing maze and blue. Tennessee is just a fad program just like most others. I am beginning to think some of out players just do not like the orange and want it to be all about them.

Alabama never sucked wearing their crimson and white, neither did Michigan wearing maze and blue. Tennessee is just a fad program just like most others. I am beginning to think some of out players just do not like the orange and want it to be all about them.
Really?? You dont remember the Mike Dubois era do you? Michigan from 2008-2010 or the mid 90's Michigan teams?

The US flag has nothing to do with attracting recruits to play for the University of Tennessee, alt uniforms do.

It is not about trashing traditions, it is about moving forward and putting a product on the field that makes fans excited. That also sells more tickets, sells more jerseys, hats, etc Which leads to a greater athletic budget, which leads to better facilities, which helps attract better recruits to all sports.

would you feel the same way if wearing alt uniforms gave us 6 natties since 2009 or would you stick to those guns have zero natties and to continue to be traditional?
My point about the US flag was, following your logic, change the colors and the youth will be signing up in thier droves.

And forgive ne for not realising that changing colors means more nattys, well it’s about time then to change the checkerboard ends into Smokey gray and white and old Smokey itself can retire for as nice poodle or whatever is todays popular breed

Reactions: onevol74
My point about the US flag was, following your logic, change the colors and the youth will be signing up in thier droves.

And forgive ne for not realising that changing colors means more nattys, well it’s about time then to change the checkerboard ends into Smokey gray and white and old Smokey itself can retire for as nice poodle or whatever is todays popular breed
I am not sure I have enough crayons to explain this to you but I will try....

- Natties require better players than what we have had for the last two decades
- To attract better players, you need to have more hype and better facilities
- To get better facilities, you need more money
- To get more money, you need to sell more tickets, merch, and excitement
- the current children who are the better players, enjoy the alt uniforms, they enjoy the music and light shows, etc
- in order to attract those players, which will create more wins, which creates more excitement, which creates more money, our program needs to adapt to the current times
- the old blue hairs of the past stopped giving to the University years ago, it is now the people who enjoy the party deck atmosphere

So in a round about way, the alts can help create natties.

Do you think we should still be the Generals Tennessee and win games 9-6 or do you like scoring the way we do? Because if we were a "traditional" SEC school, we would just run the ball and play defense. Adapt or fall behind, just as clemson has.

I’ll respond.
Things change. The flag has changed with the times over the years. Not the color in your example but it changed as things do. We haven’t changed our colors. We are using them differently to enhance the experience. In game day polls that talk about uniform popularity, Tennessee is up there time and time again. That stuff matters to a lot of people. Much like the end zones weren’t always checkerboards or how the “T” has changed, or how Rockytop hasn’t always been a part of the “tradition”. Those were changes that some people probably weren’t responsive to long ago but it’s what you and we all now know as normal and what makes our game days awesome. Smokey greys and Dark Mode aren’t your favorite. We get that. But traditions start somewhere and new ones enhance the atmosphere for the majority I’d bet. And to whoever likes to refer to other programs who are successful and don’t change theirs…every team has had an alternate, maybe with the exception of Penn State.

I’ll respond.
Things change. The flag has changed with the times over the years. Not the color in your example but it changed as things do. We haven’t changed our colors. We are using them differently to enhance the experience. In game day polls that talk about uniform popularity, Tennessee is up there time and time again. That stuff matters to a lot of people. Much like the end zones weren’t always checkerboards or how the “T” has changed, or how Rockytop hasn’t always been a part of the “tradition”. Those were changes that some people probably weren’t responsive to long ago but it’s what you and we all now know as normal and what makes our game days awesome. Smokey greys and Dark Mode aren’t your favorite. We get that. But traditions start somewhere and new ones enhance the atmosphere for the majority I’d bet. And to whoever likes to refer to other programs who are successful and don’t change theirs…every team has had an alternate, maybe with the exception of Penn State.
You are correct. Using alternative uniforms makes Tennessee just like every other average team. UT has a unique color and color combination that sets itself apart from every other team in the country but seems to want to change their identity.

Reactions: BDP!
You are correct. Using alternative uniforms makes Tennessee just like every other average team. UT has a unique color and color combination that sets itself apart from every other team in the country but seems to want to change their identity.
Just curious. Does not using alternates make us just like any team that doesn’t use alternates anymore? By your logic we should only do things that other universities don’t. What would that leave us with? I would rather do what will help the university in our own unique way. Nobody else has alternates like we do. Show me another team with helmets like our Smokey Greys with the Smokey Mountains blended in. We can do alternates and be unique. We still use our beloved orange and white, albeit not like we always have. And believe me, I prefer the orange and white! But I understand that the alternates bring excitement and energy.

VN Store

Back