Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

The Orange was created to match the color of the wild daisies with grew on the "Hill". The modern "Orange " is no where near the correct color. Nike screwed us on this one.

The "modern" orange is basically the same it's been my whole life and we've only been with Nike about 10 years. I have no idea what you are talking about. I just posted picture of the Fulmer era orange and it most ceratinly isn't lighter.

1720886872186.png1720887012565.png

That's Doug Dickey.....you seriously look at that and our modern uniforms and think "WOW WE'RE SO MUCH DARKER!!!!"

Again if so....get your eyes checked.

The "modern" orange is basically the same it's been my whole life and we've only been with Nike about 10 years. I have no idea what you are talking about. I just posted picture of the Fulmer era orange and it most ceratinly isn't lighter.

View attachment 658391View attachment 658393

That's Doug Dickey.....you seriously look at that and our modern uniforms and think "WOW WE'RE SO MUCH DARKER!!!!"

I think a lot of people dont think about the advent of HD and better camera's. You go back and look at old pictures and video and the colors are not as accurate as what you'd see on modern cameras and TV's.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

View attachment 658391

My first exposure to the real Tennessee Orange was in 1945 when I saw my first Tennessee football game. I had two brothers who attended Tennessee after they came home from WWII. One of the friends was the starting end for Tennessee and he and his wife would visit our home on weekends during the off season. They would bring me Tennessee stuff from the football team. That was the same as the original Tennessee Orange. It was very different than the Orange of the 1990s when my son was on the team and received his SEC and National Championship rings. The Nike Orange of today is much to reddish and far from the Original Tennessee Orange.In fact, I have a Letterman’s certificate my father received in 1931 which is also outlined in the original Tennessee Orange. My history with the University of Tennessee span 6 generations, so I do have some historical knowledge of my University. I also have my son’s Jersey from the 1998 Orange Bowl hanging in my Tennessee den. He would not let me have his National Championship jersey from the 1999 Fiesta Bowl

Last edited:
I think a lot of people dont think about the advent of HD and better camera's. You go back and look at old pictures and video and the colors are not as accurate as what you'd see on modern cameras and TV's.

There's that too. Plus our orange is notorious for looking different in different light, night vs. day, etc. I remember the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2022 our basketball uniforms looked way darker on that court, so much I thought we had different uniforms. But the next week at a different arena they looked normal again.

There's that too. Plus our orange is notorious for looking different in different light, night vs. day, etc. I remember the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2022 our basketball uniforms looked way darker on that court, so much I thought we had different uniforms. But the next week at a different arena they looked normal again.
Also never forget Walmart..... cheap Walmart and JCPenney's UT gear (from back in the day) that fades on first wash is all over the place over the decades so probably affects peoples ideas on what it should look like.

My first exposure to the real Tennessee Orange was in 1945 when I saw my first Tennessee football game. I had two brothers who attended Tennessee after they came home from WWII. One of the friends was the starting end for Tennessee and he and his wife would visit our home on weekends during the off season. They would bring me Tennessee stuff from the football team. That was the same as the original Tennessee Orange. It was very different than the Orange of the 1990s when my son was on the team and received his SEC and National Championship rings. The Nike Orange of today is much to reddish and far from the Original Tennessee Orange.In fact, I have a Letterman’s certificate my father received in 1931 which is also outlined in the original Tennessee Orange. My history with the University of Tennessee span 6 generations, so I do have some historical knowledge of my University. I also have my son’s Jersey from the 1998 Orange Bowl hanging in my Tennessee den. He would not let me have his National Championship jersey from the 1999 Fiesta Bowl

That may all be true, but the post said Nike ruined it. We've only been with NIke 10 years, we were with Adidas before and the uniforms going back as far to at least the 80s (my only frame of reference) has been pretty much the same. The Fulmer years were referenced as being lighter and I already posted a pic that proves that's not true. Here's another from 2002, way way before we ever switched to Nike,

1720889049730.png

That is Adidas and if anything that orange looks darker than what we have now.

And regardless, the original post said our orange looked like Clemson which is ridiculous, and then the goalposts were moved to "It isn't the same as 70 years ago".

Also never forget Walmart..... cheap Walmart and JCPenney's UT gear (from back in the day) that fades on first wash is all over the place over the decades so probably affects peoples ideas on what it should look like.

It's not as bad (well I don't think) but my favorite personal game used to be when I went to Tennessee footbal and basektball games to pick out all the wrong shades of orange in the stands.

I own a game worn Tennessee football jersey from every year dating back to 1986. Save for some fading on a couple of them, they are all exactly the same shade of orange, though different materials do not necessarily photograph the same way, based on the lighting. Lone exception is the 2010 orange jersey that was worn the second half of the season in the new Adidas “tech fit“ fabric. It was off, and got worse every time it was washed, to the point where it looked yellow under the bright white lights in the Music City bowl against North Carolina.

I was also on the branding transition team when we moved from Adidas to Nike. Nike did a fantastic job of making sure that not only was the color correct, but that it was consistent across all of its products, where Adidas had not been because of the many different vendors they used for different uniforms and products. Again, some materials photograph differently under different lights, but the gear and uniforms are all Tennessee Orange, when that was not always the case under the previous provider.

Modern cameras, particularly high definition television cameras, provide a much truer color palate for television and print than previous technology did. That has also played a role in the perception that the orange has changed, when it has not.

I own a game worn Tennessee football jersey from every year dating back to 1986. Save for some fading on a couple of them, they are all exactly the same shade of orange, though different materials do not necessarily photograph the same way, based on the lighting. Lone exception is the 2010 orange jersey that was worn the second half of the season in the new Adidas “tech fit“ fabric. It was off, and got worse every time it was washed, to the point where it looked yellow under the bright white lights in the Music City bowl against North Carolina.

I was also on the branding transition team when we moved from Adidas to Nike. Nike did a fantastic job of making sure that not only was the color correct, but that it was consistent across all of its products, where Adidas had not been because of the many different vendors they used for different uniforms and products. Again, some materials photograph differently under different lights, but the gear and uniforms are all Tennessee Orange, when that was not always the case under the previous provider.

Modern cameras, particularly high definition television cameras, provide a much truer color palate for television and print than previous technology did. That has also played a role in the perception that the orange has changed, when it has not.
The test I use are placing the jerseys next to each other and observing the difference in colors. I don't worry about camera when you have the real thing. If one can not see the difference, one must have a problem with color blindness. I do not have that problem

The test I use are placing the jerseys next to each other and observing the difference in colors. I don't worry about camera when you have the real thing. If one can not see the difference, one must have a problem with color blindness. I do not have that problem
Like I said, I have them in my collection and have done exactly that. I can lay the 1986 Russell Athletic, the 1993 Sports Belle, 2002 adidas and 2015 Nike and they’re all the same.

@DOCTORLOOMIS

You own a plethora of jerseys. Care to chime in?

I do remember the jerseys looking weak, pale, almost yellow on tv in the aughts. Glad we don’t have that issue anymore. Regardless of what anyone wants to claim, UT orange is distinctive, and looks nothing like that of Clemson, Syracuse, UF, Ok State, Oregon State, etc. That much, unequivocally, hasn’t changed. If you disagree on that point, you’re just pushing an agenda of some kind, be it anti-Nike or whatever.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I do remember the jerseys looking weak, pale, almost yellow on tv in the aughts. Glad we don’t have that issue anymore. Regardless of what anyone wants to claim, UT orange is distinctive, and looks nothing like that of Clemson, Syracuse, UF, Ok State, Oregon State, etc. That much, unequivocally, hasn’t changed. If you disagree on that point, you’re just pushing an agenda of some kind, be it anti-Nike or whatever.
On the Pantone range of Orange of all the schools that use it, I think we are on the lightest side
(closest to yellow) and Texas is on the other side (closest to brown).

Last edited:

Those 2010 jerseys ruined the way the last few NCAA Football games from EA represented us. Go back to NCAA 12-14 and our uniforms were basically yellow.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
@DeerPark12

Orange helmets this weekend?👀

I don't expect to see orange helmets this year. They still have them on hand (hence them still being in College Football 2025), but they didn't order any new ones this year and there are several guys on the roster that have custom fit helmets that weren't on the team in 2022.

About a third of the roster wears a model of helmet that didn't exist when they did the orange set. It's possible that they could get enough without ordering a set, but that has not happened to my knowledge.

Those 2010 jerseys ruined the way the last few NCAA Football games from EA represented us. Go back to NCAA 12-14 and our uniforms were basically yellow.

This was all due to a man named Frederick Hyman. A former video game developer, he was hired as the product manager for NCAA football in 2010. He’s a 1992 Alabama graduate.

He set out to destroy the Tennessee brand through unconventional means. Here’s a rare picture from his lair.

1725478060273.jpeg

I don't expect to see orange helmets this year. They still have them on hand (hence them still being in College Football 2025), but they didn't order any new ones this year and there are several guys on the roster that have custom fit helmets that weren't on the team in 2022.

About a third of the roster wears a model of helmet that didn't exist when they did the orange set. It's possible that they could get enough without ordering a set, but that has not happened to my knowledge.
I’m honestly fine with that. Feels like we have plenty of uniform combos in the arsenal with black being added to the mix. Let’s win on the road with what we’ve got.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I will never forget my first game, Vanderbilt in 1965 and just how much more yellow the jerseys were when I sam them in person for the first time. Had nothing to do with a camera.

VN Store

Back