Update Me on Lindsey Nelson Renovations

You say it is a culture thing. I say there is nothing else to do in those locations!

It’s also specific to a sport. MSU may get 12k in their last weekend series after a poor season, but they don’t fill up the Hump in basketball. The Hump holds 10,500, and their average attendance this year was 7600. To them, baseball is a social event, too.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Probably hosting a big time recruit on campus since he (and the team) haven‘t been in Knoxville much lately. I think it’s odd that the baseball transfer portal opens right before postseason starts. Puts teams in postseason at a huge disadvantage—especially those who aren’t hosting. It should open the day after CWS ends.
I did see a couple guys who looked like they could have been baseball players walk by as well but didn’t recognize them from the team so I bet that’s what was going on.

I don’t understand what the “experience” is if not to watch the ball game
Because everyone doesn't want to watch the game 100% of the time. People want to be a part of an experience. Kids want to meet Smokey, meet the team, run the bases, play on the playground, get ice cream, watch some of the game. Non fans want to experience eating different kinds of foods than nachos and hot dogs, they want different drink options, shaded areas that they pay extra for, a casual meet people atmosphere (the porches). More open spaces like the deck at Neyland, more bathrooms, lots of concession option so they don't stand in a 15 minute line. Grab and go beer/drinks. Many people don't go to sports for the sports. And that makes money.

You say it is a culture thing. I say there is nothing else to do in those locations!
Perhaps but the fans aren’t just coming from those towns especially given how small some of them are. They’re traveling in from hours away. Hell, I had a MS St alum coworker who lived in south GA who traveled back to Starkville for nearly every home series, while his sister and her kids came up from Hattiesburg, parents came in from his hometown in the Delta. It’s passed down through the generations and they treat the weekends like a football weekend with the tailgating and preparation that goes into it.

Because everyone doesn't want to watch the game 100% of the time. People want to be a part of an experience. Kids want to meet Smokey, meet the team, run the bases, play on the playground, get ice cream, watch some of the game. Non fans want to experience eating different kinds of foods than nachos and hot dogs, they want different drink options, shaded areas that they pay extra for, a casual meet people atmosphere (the porches). More open spaces like the deck at Neyland, more bathrooms, lots of concession option so they don't stand in a 15 minute line. Grab and go beer/drinks. Many people don't go to sports for the sports. And that makes money.
I’ve never met a Tennessee fan that went there for anything but the game.

Reactions: etmVol
That would be a bad idea. We don’t have enough baseball support in this fanbase to fill a 12,000 seat stadium. The most I would go is 7,500
I disagree strongly. Ticket prices on secondary market indicate a demand that far exceeds current supply. Baseball is a huge sport in Tennessee, it’s got much deeper roots in this state than basketball

This day was gonna come. Sold out games for Lipscomb on a Tuesday or Wednesday, no walk up and then a good portion don’t try to fill the seats, just don’t go. It’s a bummer, but it comes with the territory. It’s not all bad. 10 years ago almost no college baseball was televised in the regular season, now one can watch about every game. Progress.

I do appreciate that folks here in the baseball forum started a thread to pass on tickets, that’s also progress. We’ll be okay.

GBO!!!

Perhaps but the fans aren’t just coming from those towns especially given how small some of them are. They’re traveling in from hours away. Hell, I had a MS St alum coworker who lived in south GA who traveled back to Starkville for nearly every home series, while his sister and her kids came up from Hattiesburg, parents came in from his hometown in the Delta. It’s passed down through the generations and they treat the weekends like a football weekend with the tailgating and preparation that goes into it.
Heck, I travel from ATL to virtually every weekend series—even made a lot of midweek games in 22 when work travel was curtailed due to pandemic. Knew of another couple who made every weekend series driving down from Indiana. Lots of diehard BaseVol fans make long drives to support the Vols. With that said, I personally think seats for 7K (with SRO for another 1K) will keep the hornets nest environment at LNS and allow for more fans to attend hopefully at an affordable price.

Yeah I get what you are saying. There is still nothing to do in those small towns. I lived in southern Arkansas for a couple of years in elementary school. Nothing to do.

Probably hosting a big time recruit on campus since he (and the team) haven‘t been in Knoxville much lately. I think it’s odd that the baseball transfer portal opens right before postseason starts. Puts teams in postseason at a huge disadvantage—especially those who aren’t hosting. It should open the day after CWS ends.
I agree. The timing is all wrong.

Reactions: taylorvol
And the ones holding the premium, season tickets don’t show up regularly. So yes, we might “sell” 12k tickets but there won’t be 12k in there other than for a Saturday game in a Vandy/UF/LSU/Arkansas series perhaps. Our fanbase is to fickle and “bandwagony” on the fringe sports. I was in Starkville last year for our series and saw crowds of 12-13k every game for a team in last place, playing their last games of the season with nothing to play for. This fanbase will NEVER put 12k in the seats for a losing baseball team on the last weekend of the season. It’s a culture thing and it’s just not engrained in the culture of our fanbase like the baseball schools in this conference. Look at Vandy and UF, they’ve been the two most successful schools on the field in the last 15 years and can’t remotely draw close to what OM/State/LSU/Arky do even if they had the capacity to do it.

I would venture to say there are a lot who buy up season tickets today just for the opportunity to turn them. So the premium per game isn’t driven as much by the demand side as it is the supply side (lack of supply). At 7-8k capacity you would more than satisfy the game to game, walk-up demand, it would take the premium off of the secondary market and we’d still likely only max the place out on Friday and Saturday SEC games.

What else were people in Starkville going to do? They go to baseball because their Applebee's waiting list is too long and one can only eat so many riblets.

I ABHOR ticket scalpers or whatever name they call themselves (broker, resellers, etc.) I think they are scum and those that are outside the stadiums EVERY event are a little better than the ones online or who belong to forums - such as this, solely to sell tickets.

I gave up my season tickets for 2019 divorce and because of COVID and demand, I can't get them back. But half the stadium is now seemingly owned by scalpers, corporate interests or social butterflies who rarely show up. I AM PISSED

Last edited:
Saw Tony at Ruth Chris in Knoxville tonight, which I found interesting given the fact that the team left for Omaha in the mid-afternoon from what I saw earlier. Had me thinking he was going to fly with some big donors possibly?
He doesn’t usually travel directly with the team, he usually waits till later to try and squeeze a recruiting trip in

What else were people in Starkville going to do? The go to baseball because their Applebee's waiting list is too long and one can only eat so many riblets.

I ABHOR ticket scalpers or whatever name they call themselves (broker, resellers, etc.) I think they are scum and those that are outside the stadiums EVERY event are a little better than the ones online or who belong to forums - such as this, solely to sell tickets.

I gave up my season tickets for 2019 divorce and because of COVID and demand, I can't get them back. But half the stadium is now seemingly owned by scalpers, corporate interests or social butterflies who rarely show up. I AM PISSED
Agreed. The two seats next to me had someone in them for exactly 2 weekend games (a different couple both times) that I attended and they didn’t show up for the first time until the Sunday Gonzaga game and didn’t see someone again until Miss St. I called the ticket office the Monday right after Gonzaga to confirm they were actually sold cause if they weren’t, I was going to add 2 more because it’s a hassle and costs a fortune to find a 3rd seat whenever my wife decides she wants to tag along. They were of course already sold they just never got used.

What else were people in Starkville going to do? The go to baseball because their Applebee's waiting list is too long and one can only eat so many riblets.

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but I think it's more a case of more and more folks falling in love with college baseball.... specifically UT baseball.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Ticketmaster and the other resell markets don't help the problem.

Even in the rare occasion the artificial price floor they set isn't comically high, selling a ticket 15-20 bucks turns into a 35-45 dollar deal after all the tacked on stuff.

But let me say that those could have been my two tickets. I have two reserve seats that I have not sat in in four years because I stand up the whole game and we use them for my grand children or my sons who stand with me. So mine will be some right behind home plate that are rarely sat in. I give away my midweek gangs, and sometimes if I know somebody is sitting in the field or right field. I will let them sit in my seat.

It’s also specific to a sport. MSU may get 12k in their last weekend series after a poor season, but they don’t fill up the Hump in basketball. The Hump holds 10,500, and their average attendance this year was 7600. To them, baseball is a social event, too.
I agree about specific to sports but the reasons are different. Basketball ball is a single 2 hour game a weekend. People come and go without hangout. For baseball you get three hour games and 3 of them. Good breaks between to eat and see people. You can make a weekend of that. Why would you drive 1, 2 or more hours for a 2 hour game?

I disagree strongly. Ticket prices on secondary market indicate a demand that far exceeds current supply. Baseball is a huge sport in Tennessee, it’s got much deeper roots in this state than basketball
I remember going to the Nashville Vols games with my grandfather at Sulfur Dell back in the 1950s/60s and going with him to see the Atlanta Crackers was my first away game. Guess baseball does have deep roots in Tn.

I remember going to the Nashville Vols games with my grandfather at Sulfur Dell back in the 1950s/60s and going with him to see the Atlanta Crackers was my first away game. Guess baseball does have deep roots in Tn.
Who is the man in the beige sport coat in your profile photo? I recognize the others.

I agree about specific to sports but the reasons are different. Basketball ball is a single 2 hour game a weekend. People come and go without hangout. For baseball you get three hour games and 3 of them. Good breaks between to eat and see people. You can make a weekend of that. Why would you drive 1, 2 or more hours for a 2 hour game?

People drive 1-2 hours for a basketball game all of the time. They may not go to all of them, but they do. In fact, it’s been a while, but I’ve been to see UT play at both Ole Miss and MSU from Memphis and back the same night.I guarantee some fans do it in East TN.

But, yes, baseball does have a series. But baseball is ingrained at MSU.

VN Store

Back