Update Me on Lindsey Nelson Renovations

People drive 1-2 hours for a basketball game all of the time. They may not go to all of them, but they do. In fact, it’s been a while, but I’ve been to see UT play at both Ole Miss and MSU from Memphis and back the same night.
You are missing the point. 1 game. In and out. No tailgate. A few people will make the trip. It is not the culture of basketball where as football and baseball it is. The previous count point was a reference to basketball and why baseball was different.

You are missing the point. 1 game. In and out. No tailgate. A few people will make the trip. It is not the culture of basketball where as football and baseball it is. The previous count point was a reference to basketball and why baseball was different.

Not a huge deal to argue on. You originally said there was nothing else to do there. My point was baseball was much bigger at MSU than most other things. It’s the sport. If they can get 12k at baseball games when they are terrible, then why can’t they fill up the Hump regularly? They made the NCAAT this year.

UT can get more fans at baseball games, but MSU can does what it does because of sustained success starting in the 80’s.

Not a huge deal to argue on. You originally said there was nothing else to do there. My point was baseball was much bigger at MSU than most other things. It’s the sport. If they can get 12k at baseball games when they are terrible, then why can’t they fill up the Hump regularly? They made the NCAAT this year.

UT can get more fans at baseball games, but MSU can does what it does because of sustained success starting in the 80’s.
I can agree the 80s factor. I can agree the sport factor. I just don't think that is enough. I think you have to factor in the fact there is nothing to do in this part of the country. Baseball. Football. Hunting. We agree on everything else.

Reactions: VolGee4
What's the deal here? I saw a number of folks on Twitter say the UT admin really needed to give these updates the go ahead. I thought I remembered that a plan had already been approved to be done in stages. What's the word on this?
I'm certain money is not the problem.

That is disappointing to me as a fan. I still want to expand Neyland to the 125k range. If I want an “experience” I will book a night at a five star resort. I want winning football and a roaring, passionate crowd; not a place where millionaires sup their mimosa in leather chairs behind insulated glass. Bring on the colosseum vibes.
The only “experience” I want doesn’t involve comfort. I want to “experience” Saban throwing his headset in rage after a Vols win. That is enough
Great comment.

The thing that needs to be done at LN is to somehow make it bigger and host fewer games there.

That is going to be us now! Sustained success. GBO! 🍊

All of the radio pundits I listen to are saying that Danny White and Co. are kicking the can down the street and it may end up being a 5 year window. To me, that is ridiculous considering how quickly things are built these days. The Neyland/TBA entertainment strip is taking priority at the moment.

Sorry, but I have trouble believing Danny White won’t move forward with two projects at the same time. He certainly doesn’t seem the type to squander momentum the baseball program has now.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I haven't seen anyone on here mention the post from Volquest this morning. It alluded to the Board of Trustee meeting scheduled for next week where they are going to ask for more money for LNS. The total has ballooned to 98 million. I went to the UT website and pulled up the agenda and read the supporting documents. Final project says approximetly 6150 seats with room for an additional 1600 standing.

What is everyones thoughts on that capacity? Bottom line for me is; if I get better seats it's big enough. If I don't, they made it too small.

I am puzzled by the 1600 SRO. Where in the world would they go? I'm guessing there's going to be some serious earth moving equipment on hand if that is going to happen. Anyway, glad to see something FINALLY ready to get started.

I haven't seen anyone on here mention the post from Volquest this morning. It alluded to the Board of Trustee meeting scheduled for next week where they are going to ask for more money for LNS. The total has ballooned to 98 million. I went to the UT website and pulled up the agenda and read the supporting documents. Final project says approximetly 6150 seats with room for an additional 1600 standing.

What is everyones thoughts on that capacity? Bottom line for me is; if I get better seats it's big enough. If I don't, they made it too small.

I am puzzled by the 1600 SRO. Where in the world would they go? I'm guessing there's going to be some serious earth moving equipment on hand if that is going to happen. Anyway, glad to see something FINALLY ready to get started.

Thx for the update. My thought is 6.2-7.5K seats is great as long as they keep the seats as close as possible to the field to create a hostile and rowdy environment for our foes. Throw in some suites behind the seats (to keep the bigger money donors happy creating more baseball revenues) while keeping the rabid fans close to the action and we have the best of both worlds.

Perfect size.

The increase in SRO is about 1k or so. My guess is a lot of that will be accomplished in the 3B line build out. A lot of that area shows a really wide concourse/ patio area.

For comparison sake, best numbers I could come up with…

Florida: 7000 + 2800 Berms

Vandy: 3700, Reno announced May 2023

South Carolina: 8242

Tennessee: 4387, Proposed Reno, 6150 + 1600 standing

Kentucky: 2500 seats up to 7000 grass berms

Georgia: 3420 Reno announced April 2023, add 230, total 3650

Missouri: 3031

Arkansas: 10,000 Record 10,737

LSU: 10,326

Alabama: website says 5876, internet says 8500

Auburn: 4096

TAMU: 7053