Upon Further Review Iowa

Iowa played 2 teams with an Offensive Pulse, and it went like : Michigan, 26-0, Penn St 31-0. I know Coach Hype wants this bowl win, and; that he OK'd Joe Opting out tells me He has full confidence in Nico. Vol fans should just relax. Tennessee's got this.
Well said….

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Iowa played 2 teams with an Offensive Pulse, and it went like : Michigan, 26-0, Penn St 31-0. I know Coach Hype wants this bowl win, and; that he OK'd Joe Opting out tells me He has full confidence in Nico. Vol fans should just relax. Tennessee's got this.
Yes and those 2 teams were freaking Michigan and freaking Penn st

I might have missed some, but that chart only showed 11 completions beyond 10 yards. That's insane for a D-1 team.

Reactions: KHVol
I'll also admit that outside of white, I'm not sold on the playmaking ability of our WRs.
Maybe Nico working with the younger guys now in the rotation will pay dividends. I’m not giving up on any of the first year on the field WR guys until they get more reps with the 1’s. The RB’s too.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Whatever. Better for Nico to get his feet wet now against a good defense rather than the first game next season at Oklahoma, as long as our inexperienced running backs don’t let him get hurt on a hit on the Qb.

I wouldn’t compare UT’s offense this season to Michigan’s or PSU’s. UT was underwhelming on offense to say the least. Iowa has a chance and could stifle this offense, although I believe Nico to be an upgrade over Joe if he can maintain his poise.

Everyone seems to be concerned about UT’s ability to cover in the secondary, however I am more concerned about their ability to tackle, as games like UF, Mizzou, and Bama come to mind. Iowa can exploit this.

Of course, new QB and new secondary anything can happen. It’ll be funny if these guys ball out and VolNation explodes with the, “why weren’t they playing all year?”

Go Vols!!!

I wouldn’t compare UT’s offense this season to Michigan’s or PSU’s. UT was underwhelming on offense to say the least. Iowa has a chance and could stifle this offense, although I believe Nico to be an upgrade over Joe if he can maintain his poise.

Everyone seems to be concerned about UT’s ability to cover in the secondary, however I am more concerned about their ability to tackle, as games like UF, Mizzou, and Bama come to mind. Iowa can exploit this.

Of course, new QB and new secondary anything can happen. It’ll be funny if these guys ball out and VolNation explodes with the, “why weren’t they playing all year?”

Go Vols!!!
Our offense wasn’t stellar, agreed, but did you watch PSU all year? They weren’t great either from the eye test. I haven’t looked up stats but I watched 3 full games they played and I didn’t see anything that stood out

Reactions: TN1111 and JRich
Mostly agree. Two remaining concerns are inexperienced defensive secondary and the lack of our most experienced RBs, especially on pass block
I wouldn't worry about the secondary. Iowa was dead last in the country in passing. I agree regarding the RB's though.

I looked at the Michigan results. Yes, UM won but Iowa held UM to 213 total yards in that game just saying - they have a defense.
Michigan plays the same brand of football that they play but with better athletes. It will be very interesting to see how they play our splits and if they can keep up with our tempo. First down is key for us in this one.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I looked at the Michigan results. Yes, UM won but Iowa held UM to 213 total yards in that game just saying - they have a defense.
They did limit them but the stats are somewhat skewed too in the fact that Michigan returned a punt 87 yards to the Iowa 5 and had two fumble recoveries inside the Iowa 15. That’s 17 points UM scored on those 3 possessions by gaining a total of 8 yards (5 yards TD, 6 yards TD, -3 yards FG). I don’t care what my yards are if I put up the points to win the game.

Last edited:
Mostly agree. Two remaining concerns are inexperienced defensive secondary and the lack of our most experienced RBs, especially on pass block
More so the former, but I think you can’t diminish the fact that Nico, no matter how good, is still a true freshman getting his first start against a good defense. That worries me more than the RBs. I think Sampson’s going to come out swinging.

They didn’t limit them but the states are somewhat skewed too in the fact that Michigan returned a punt 87 yards to the Iowa 5 and had two fumble recoveries inside the Iowa 15. That’s 17 points UM scored on those 3 possessions by gaining a total of 8 yards (5 yards TD, 6 yards TD, -3 yards FG). I don’t care what my yards are if I put up the points to win the game.

Yes - UM scored off special teams and turnovers. UM did not run all over Iowa offensively. Some on this board believe that Tennessee will be able to do. Maybe they can, but the two teams that folks point at being the two best offensive teams Iowa lost too, were stymied by the Iowa defense. The points were on special teams play and turnovers.

Iowa is a good defensive team. We are starting a "true freshman" and will not have the trio of running backs - Not understanding the overwhelming confidence other than being the bias that says SEC > B1G.

Reactions: Vol2B and KHVol
They didn’t limit them but the states are somewhat skewed too in the fact that Michigan returned a punt 87 yards to the Iowa 5 and had two fumble recoveries inside the Iowa 15. That’s 17 points UM scored on those 3 possessions by gaining a total of 8 yards (5 yards TD, 6 yards TD, -3 yards FG). I don’t care what my yards are if I put up the points to win the game.
Michigan averaged 3.2 yards per play in that game. Without the short fields I don’t know if they would have scored 10 points

Yes - UM scored off special teams and turnovers. UM did not run all over Iowa offensively. Some on this board believe that Tennessee will be able to do. Maybe they can, but the two teams that folks point at being the two best offensive teams Iowa lost too, were stymied by the Iowa defense. The points were on special teams play and turnovers.

Iowa is a good defensive team. We are starting a "true freshman" and will not have the trio of running backs - Not understanding the overwhelming confidence other than being the bias that says SEC > B1G.
I meant to say they “did limit them”.

Michigan averaged 3.2 yards per play in that game. Without the short fields I don’t know if they would have scored 10 points
Well your team scored 0 so 10 would’ve been plenty. I also question how explosive UM’s offense is period. Granted PSU, OSU and Iowa are all good defenses but they failed to crack 350 yards in any of those games and less than 300 in 2 of them. We had one game of sub 300 yards vs UGA and put up 350 or more in losses to UF, Mizzou and Bama (over 400). I don’t think it’s far fetched to suggest that our offense (in its pre-bowl form) was more explosive than UM’s to begin with.

VN Store

Back