Upon Further Review Iowa

Iowa played 2 teams with an Offensive Pulse, and it went like : Michigan, 26-0, Penn St 31-0. I know Coach Hype wants this bowl win, and; that he OK'd Joe Opting out tells me He has full confidence in Nico. Vol fans should just relax. Tennessee's got this.

Hang on…”he OK’d Joe opting out?” What makes you think Joe needed Heupel’s OK to not play in the bowl and instead focus on his possible future in the NFL?

Serious question, guys. Can a head coach actually prevent one of his players from opting out of a bowl game?

I don’t think this is possible but maybe I’m wrong. Somebody set me straight, please.

Hang on…”he OK’d Joe opting out?” What make you think Joe needed Heupel’s OK to not play in the bowl and instead focus on his possible future in the NFL?

Serious question, guys. Can a head coach actually prevent one of his players from opting out of a bowl game?

I don’t think this is possible but maybe I’m wrong. Somebody set me straight, please.
Lol no of course they can’t.

Michigan averaged 3.2 yards per play in that game. Without the short fields I don’t know if they would have scored 10 points
But the flow of the game allowed for Michigan just to grind it out and play it safe. They didn’t have to try and do anything to break a big play just grind it out which they did and it worked.

If I were Iowa I would take a sack on first down, maybe a false start on second down, just try to get to a third and fifteen or even better something like third and 20+ would really work.
If you want to improve your long range passing.

Reactions: Ttucke11
I have watched Iowa play a few times this year. (I’m retiring in the Des Moines area in 2024).

Their offense is offensive

Our opt outs will hurt us, no doubt. But I’d be more worried if we were playing an explosive offense. Even at full strength Iowa struggles to score 21 points, and I just can’t see us being held under 21.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, it won’t be the first time. But if we lose to Iowa, even with all of our opt outs, people will freak out all offseason
People are going to freak out on here all off season even if we blow Iowa out.

Man, I hope our coaching staff has more confidence than some of the "fans" on here. The same ones screaming about how bad our secondary and QB have been this year are the same ones moaning how we don't have a chance because our secondary and veteran QB are gone. SMH.

Reactions: Ratvol
Hang on…”he OK’d Joe opting out?” What makes you think Joe needed Heupel’s OK to not play in the bowl and instead focus on his possible future in the NFL?

Given CJH's & Joe's History, (Both of them very Loyal to each other) that was an easy extrapolation. (for some)

If being a long term Vol fan has taught me anything, it's that they can lose any bowl game to anyone.

Fulmer managed to lose 4 bowl games between 92 and 01 to. 3 Big 10 teams and K State with some of the best rosters ever assembled at TN.

And the Music City debacles to NC and Purdue should be relatively fresh in most everyone's mind on here.

I’m sure Iowa is a fine football team, in the Big10. I’m sure there defense is stellar…against the Big10. But I always look back at how we traditionally fare against (big, slow) Big10 teams in these matchups.

There is a difference in the athletes we field. Other than TOSU and Michigan, the Big10 doesn’t field the same type of athletes.

We got this IMO.
Agree with comments on historical basis. However, we are not fielding the type of athletes of those earlier teams . We did not manhandle run of the mill Purdue two years ago. Discount last year vs totally disinterested Clemson.

I worry that WR have not been productive vs anyone and scheming inexperienced QB will probably slow offensive production. The other side is I watched Iowa vs OSU and Nebraska and not sure they score 21 against air.

Agree with comments on historical basis. However, we are not fielding the type of athletes of those earlier teams . We did not manhandle run of the mill Purdue two years ago. Discount last year vs totally disinterested Clemson.

I worry that WR have not been productive vs anyone and scheming inexperienced QB will probably slow offensive production. The other side is I watched Iowa vs OSU and Nebraska and not sure they score 21 against air.
You are right about Purdue of course, but remember that team was decimated by the portal and in the first year of a new coach. My point was simply, all things being equal, we field a different type of athlete than the mid-pack Big10 teams do. See Northwestern, Iowa, and Wisconsin. We weren’t exactly a powerhouse when we played those teams….but the athletic difference was apparent.

Iowa may wax us…definite possibility. But I think it’s more likely that a speed and size difference becomes apparent at some point in the game. They have a tremendous defense, but I certainly don’t give them the advantage in the head to head between coaches. Heupel has shown what he can do in game planning when he has this much time to dedicate to it. Based upon our track record against the middle of the Big10 I refuse to to get too worried.

All speculation of course…on everybody’s part. That’s why they line up and play them. Happy New Year and Go Vols!

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and Ratvol
Anxious to see our WRs.
If Nico's passes are dropped, it will tell us a bit about this past season. I hope they rise to the challenge. and Nico too.
We have to protect him.
If he has time to pass, we should be ok.

Joe could choose to go pro without Coach's consent. That does not mean that he didn't have it, with Coach's good wishes added. I think it certain that they discussed the situation. Nico playing this bowl game could be good for him and the team, like Joe playing the Orange Bowl was good for him and the team. That keeps Joe safe for the league. Call it what you want.

Joe could choose to go pro without Coach's consent. That does not mean that he didn't have it, with Coach's good wishes added. I think it certain that they discussed the situation. Nico playing this bowl game could be good for him and the team, like Joe playing the Orange Bowl was good for him and the team. That keeps Joe safe for the league. Call it what you want.

Yeah, I fired too quickly, jumping to a conclusion that wasn’t really the case. Heupel and Joe obviously built a trusting relationship over the past few years. If I’m Joe, I wouldn’t even think of making a decision like that without Heup’s input and blessing. If I’m Heup, I would certainly want Joe to do what’s in his best interests.

All that to say…my bad.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back