USS destroyer sailing by chinese disputed islands

China Ready To Use Military Force If US Violates Its Territorial Waters

China will not tolerate U.S. violations

On Thursday, Chinese media slammed the U.S. for its “ceaseless provocations.” The Global Times, a mouthpiece of the Communist Party, said in an editorial that China will not “tolerate rampant U.S. violations” of its territorial waters and skies over the “expanding islands.” Tensions have mounted between the two world powers since China started transforming submerged reefs into artificial islands in the disputed waters.

The artificial islands are large enough to support military facilities. The U.S. says Chinese activities in the disputed waters threaten freedom of navigation. Brunei, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Taiwan have overlapping claims in the waters over which China claims full sovereignty. U.S. has responded by telling its Asian allies that it doesn’t recognize artificial islands, and will sail warships past disputed islands.

Is what they are doing not illegal?

I'm not sure. I think a few nations are claiming sovereignty over the islands.

If these islands are within their jurisdiction, I don't see how it is illegal? But i suppose that's what's in question...

If these islands are within their jurisdiction, I don't see how it is illegal? But i suppose that's what's in question...

There is no islands, they are making them by pumping sand off the ocean floor and covering a reef barrier up.

The Philippines sued and won. China ignored it. Stated it didn't apply to them.

This island is a long way away from their coastline. China has over stepped its bounds.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't realize they didn't exist. I was assuming they were making small ones bigger..

No, and as Obsessed pointed out, these are no where near China. If you get a chance to look at it on a map you'd be shocked at how far away from China these islands are and the audacity they have to claim it as their territory.

They will be monitored.

But China would be stupid to get aggressive with a navy destroyer.

Hell the US navy is larger than all the other country's navys combined.

I'm sure we will be monitored but I meant we won't be alone as in we will have some unseen help.

No, and as Obsessed pointed out, these are no where near China. If you get a chance to look at it on a map you'd be shocked at how far away from China these islands are and the audacity they have to claim it as their territory.

Why does proximity matter now? It never has to the west.

VN Store

Back