UT Administration

“Here right now, there’s not a better set up anywhere in the country than what we have right here,” Barnes said. “I have been doing it a long time and with Randy Boyd, Donde Plowman and Danny White with the staff he has put together with what’s going on in athletics it blows my mind how much it’s changed here the last three years.”

Kind of takes a shot at Fulmer

From On3

Based on what I’ve seen since Danny White’s arrival, I completely agree with him!

…and really, Fulmer didn’t problems other than somehow thinking a guy who couldn’t speak English could be a head coach. He was just the guy at the end of a line of bad administrators. I think he always was going to just be a stop gap.
If the plan was for Fulmer to just be a stop gap AD, he was an expensive one. His annual pay when fired was in the top 10 of AD's.

It just took us an extra 20-30 years to learn what most schools already know. Coaches should coach and administrators should run the school. That’s not a shot at Fulmer. It’s just hard to be good at two jobs which are so different.
Just boggles the mind that Fulmer was even on a list to be an AD at a program like Tennessee. Any other elite program you could name a phone book worth of names of qualified ADs before you got to Fulmer. The fact he even got hired shows how incompetent our leadership was at the time or possibly if I’m being more forgiving how ready they were to get the Haslam influence out of the AD.

…and really, Fulmer didn’t problems other than somehow thinking a guy who couldn’t speak English could be a head coach. He was just the guy at the end of a line of bad administrators. I think he always was going to just be a stop gap.
I’ve always heard Fulmer wanted Tucker to be hired. Anderson wanted Pruitt; wanted that Saban connection especially with Smart doing so well at Georgia. Pruitt had been successful at Georgia, Bama, FSU; won titles at a couple places as DC. Anderson basically enabled Fulmer to get the AD job after the Schiano fiasco.

Reactions: Ratvol
Just boggles the mind that Fulmer was even on a list to be an AD at a program like Tennessee. Any other elite program you could name a phone book worth of names of qualified ADs before you got to Fulmer. The fact he even got hired shows how incompetent our leadership was at the time or possibly if I’m being more forgiving how ready they were to get the Haslam influence out of the AD.

I think Davenport thought if she just gave it to him, that maybe it would keep the wolves away from her door.

The extension happened May 2020, right after Cornbread had some minor success and folks at the university were feeling good about themselves. Sorry if that wasnt clear in my post.

Maybe he didn’t want to go anywhere but I don't know of anyone outside of his home who thought he was a long term answer as AD. Of course he didn’t look for another job. Why would he? But it wasn’t his decision anyway.
I don't mean he didn't want to look for another job - I mean he didn't want to retire. I don't think it was his or the University's plan to for him to hire a football coach, hang around a little bit after that during the transition period, and then leave.

Him being a stop gap measure was always kind of assumed by a lot of people, but there is nothing that actually indicates he was a stop gap measure. He had been politicking for the AD job for at least a decade. The deal he initially signed was for 4 years, and 2 years into it he got an extension.

I don't mean he didn't want to look for another job - I mean he didn't want to retire. I don't think it was his or the University's plan to for him to hire a football coach, hang around a little bit after that during the transition period, and then leave.

Him being a stop gap measure was always kind of assumed by a lot of people, but there is nothing that actually indicates he was a stop gap measure. He had been politicking for the AD job for at least a decade. The deal he initially signed was for 4 years, and 2 years into it he got an extension.
Speaking in a press conference, Plowman praised Fulmer for his commitment to the university as he now prepares to step down from his post after roughly three years.

"Phillip suggested that I hire a new athletics director to hire a new football coach," Plowman said during a press conference on Monday. "Did you know Phillip came out of retirement to take his current position and never intended for it to be long term? Phillip has offered to bridge the gap and stay in his position until a new athletic director is ready to take over.

"But I do want to emphasize this: Phillip Fulmer is demonstrating why he's a legend at the University of Tennessee. Once again, agreeing to serve the university he loves, and I want to thank him and for his family's commitment to the university. I also want to underscore that there is no allegation, nor has anything suggested that Phillip was in any way involved or knew anything about this. I have relied on Phillip's counsel since the day I arrived, and I will continue to rely on his assistance and advice even after he retires as athletic director."

So our most recent hero Donde Plowman literally called it bridging a gap and Fulmer himself told her it was never intended to be a long term deal. Then He told Plowman to hire an AD and then let them hire a coach. Any contracts would just mean more money and don’t automatically make it some plot or ploy to stay in power. He didn’t have to retire, he bowed out gracefully as he should have.

Not sure if you have access to 247, but here’s the link.

Speaking in a press conference, Plowman praised Fulmer for his commitment to the university as he now prepares to step down from his post after roughly three years.

"Phillip suggested that I hire a new athletics director to hire a new football coach," Plowman said during a press conference on Monday. "Did you know Phillip came out of retirement to take his current position and never intended for it to be long term? Phillip has offered to bridge the gap and stay in his position until a new athletic director is ready to take over.

"But I do want to emphasize this: Phillip Fulmer is demonstrating why he's a legend at the University of Tennessee. Once again, agreeing to serve the university he loves, and I want to thank him and for his family's commitment to the university. I also want to underscore that there is no allegation, nor has anything suggested that Phillip was in any way involved or knew anything about this. I have relied on Phillip's counsel since the day I arrived, and I will continue to rely on his assistance and advice even after he retires as athletic director."

So our most recent hero Donde Plowman literally called it bridging a gap and Fulmer himself told her it was never intended to be a long term deal. Then He told Plowman to hire an AD and then let them hire a coach. Any contracts would just mean more money and don’t automatically make it some plot or ploy to stay in power. He didn’t have to retire, he bowed out gracefully as he should have.

Window dressing. Same effect as a catapult or trap door…but saving face.

Not everything is a conspiracy
He had recently signed an extension with a hefty raise and he took a buyout on the heels of an embarrassing NCAA investigation. Connecting those dots to his immediate resignation needs no trip to Wal-Mart for aluminum foil. It wasn’t a planned exit. They made it a graceful boot instead of tar and feathers due to his lifetime service in the program.

He had recently signed an extension with a hefty raise and he took a buyout on the heels of an embarrassing NCAA investigation. Connecting those dots to his immediate resignation needs no trip to Wal-Mart for aluminum foil. It wasn’t a planned exit. They made it a graceful boot instead of tar and feathers due to his lifetime service in the program.
So you’re calling Plowman a liar? Bold move Cotton. Lets see if that pays off.

Donde was being nice.

Reactions: Ratvol
Donde was being nice.
No you’re right. She only said those things to cover up an administration wide conspiracy to keep power by Fulmer, Randy Boyd, the Haslams, Lovie’s airplane, Gruden’s land in East Tennessee, and Jim Cheney’s dietician.

No you’re right. She only said those things to cover up an administration wide conspiracy to keep power by Fulmer, Randy Boyd, the Haslams, Lovie’s airplane, Gruden’s land in East Tennessee, and Jim Cheney’s dietician.
It wasn't a conspiracy. Fulmer is hardly the first person who was fired from a job and allowed to "step down" and have a ton of nice things said about them on the way out. Especially someone who was around as long as he was and had a lot of good (and bad) things happen on their watch. What does Plowman have to gain from publicly blasting Fulmer in a press conference? Not only does it serve no useful purpose, it would have pissed a lot of people off.

Hell, if it had worked out with Pruitt, I bet Phil would still be here as AD. He waited and politicked for over a decade for the job, got a 4-year contract out of the gate, and 2 years into that deal got an extension and a raise that re-upped the contract to 4 more years total. That isn't a "stop gap" arrangement. He had absolutely no plans of going anywhere, and was coming up with a list of candidates to replace Pruitt with when he was shown the door himself. Remember, he got a buyout. He was fired. You don't get money on the way out if you leave on your own.

Reactions: Delmar
It wasn't a conspiracy. Fulmer is hardly the first person who was fired from a job and allowed to "step down" and have a ton of nice things said about them on the way out. Especially someone who was around as long as he was and had a lot of good (and bad) things happen on their watch. What does Plowman have to gain from publicly blasting Fulmer in a press conference? Not only does it serve no useful purpose, it would have pissed a lot of people off.

Hell, if it had worked out with Pruitt, I bet Phil would still be here as AD. He waited and politicked for over a decade for the job, got a 4-year contract out of the gate, and 2 years into that deal got an extension and a raise that re-upped the contract to 4 more years total. That isn't a "stop gap" arrangement. He had absolutely no plans of going anywhere, and was coming up with a list of candidates to replace Pruitt with when he was shown the door himself. Remember, he got a buyout. He was fired. You don't get money on the way out if you leave on your own.
So youre calling Plowman a liar too. After all she has done, this is the thanks she gets.

Chancellor Donde Plowman reiterated that Fulmer made the decision to step down so that his successor could hire Pruitt's replacement and that Fulmer's exit is not tied to the ongoing investigation.

So youre calling Plowman a liar too. After all she has done, this is the thanks she gets.

Chancellor Donde Plowman reiterated that Fulmer made the decision to step down so that his successor could hire Pruitt's replacement and that Fulmer's exit is not tied to the ongoing investigation.

Have you ever said that somebody did a good job when they didn't? It's called a little white, professional lie. Happens every day in corporate America.

Reactions: Delmar
Have you ever said that somebody did a good job when they didn't? It's called a little white, professional lie. Happens every day in corporate America.
Actually I typically refrain from telling anyone they did a good job if they didn’t because I dont want anyone coming back to me asking why I said something that wasn't true, due to previous corporate HR experience.

Besides Plowman isnt running a corporation, and furthermore deserves more respect than that. I think she’s earned it. When her back was against the wall she told the truth to the NCAA. if they had found out she was covering up a white lie, it could have been devastating.

Actually I typically refrain from telling anyone they did a good job if they didn’t because I dont want anyone coming back to me asking why I said something that wasn't true, due to previous corporate HR experience.

Besides Plowman isnt running a corporation, and furthermore deserves more respect than that. I think she’s earned it.
You act like I'm taking a shot at Donde by saying she went easy on Phil on the way out. I'm not. She was playing nice with a longtime, well-known figure who left under uncomfortable circumstances. She is hardly the first person to make comments like that about someone, and it isn't some kind of scandal.

Besides, the proof is in the pudding. Phil was bought out. When you're leaving on your own, they don't pay you money to go.

You act like I'm taking a shot at Donde by saying she went easy on Phil on the way out. I'm not. She was playing nice with a longtime, well-known figure who left under uncomfortable circumstances. She is hardly the first person to make comments like that about someone, and it isn't some kind of scandal.

Besides, the proof is in the pudding. Phil was bought out. When you're leaving on your own, they don't pay you money to go.
The proof is in the quotes provided directly by plowman, which literally almost verbatim support what I was saying. I believe what she said over whatever youre implying. Its that simple.

VN Store

Back