Vacation / Travel

Cumberland State Park whiln you were in high school and junior high. Hot spot. You had to make a reservations on New Years Eve and hope for the best, Ill elaborate about the area latera
Ahhh, The Park (as we referred to it). Many wonderful times there. A few parties in those cabins.

Attachments

• Cumberland Mt. State Park-rainy deluge.jpg
    Cumberland Mt. State Park-rainy deluge.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. Loved it. Felt mostly like it did 15 or so years ago when I was last there. I would be more likely to live outside Amsterdam. Kaatsheuvel was a nice town. Biddinghuizen, Rotterdam, The Hague were good cities. Far outskirts of Amsterdam in areas like Haarlem and Weesp would be good.

Schiphol is great for cheap flight most anywhere with Easyjet and other cheap airlines. Not a huge deal, but the Netherlands has pretty much the most expensive public transportation. Usually 1 or 2 depending on how you calculate things. Great country with friendly people.

I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. Loved it. Felt mostly like it did 15 or so years ago when I was last there. I would be more likely to live outside Amsterdam. Kaatsheuvel was a nice town. Biddinghuizen, Rotterdam, The Hague were good cities. Far outskirts of Amsterdam in areas like Haarlem and Weesp would be good.

Schiphol is great for cheap flight most anywhere with Easyjet and other cheap airlines. Not a huge deal, but the Netherlands has pretty much the most expensive public transportation. Usually 1 or 2 depending on how you calculate things. Great country with friendly people.
Is it as expensive as BART?

Reactions: ArdentVol
Crossville? Did you stay at Tansi, Fairfield Glade, etc.? Crossville is my hometown. Went to high school with Curt Watson, the "Crossville Comet". Of all the times we've been to Myrtle Beach, Pawley's Island is a place we've missed. That will change in September of this year when we return. of course. Thanks for the great response.
Ever have a teacher, Francis Bass Carson?
Had her in Oak Ridge around 1965 before she got married and moved to Crossville.
Excellent teacher. Thought us to think for ourselves

I spent about 2 and a half weeks there back in September, they sell shirts that say “No kangaroos in Austria.”
I liked both places. But that post is just a joke. There's no such airport desk. T-shirts might be real, tho. Not a bad shirt. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
IMG_7132.jpeg
Beaufort SC. The bay is a confluence surrounded by rock one side, and a growing barrier area on other. Average depth is 3-5", breakers hit the rip rap. As a result, you have a large expanse of flat, very low wave activity.

Heavy tidal activity, bc its SC. Tons of shrimp in area.

One would think that redfish and sea trout would be everywhere🤦🏼‍♂️ its just shark.

Last edited:
View attachment 647978
Beaufort SC. The bay is a confluence surrounded by rock one side, and a growing barrier area on other. Average depth is 3-5", breakers hit the rip rap. As a result, you have a large expanse of flat, very low wave activity.

Heavy tidal activity, bc its SC. Tons of shrimp in area.

One would think that redfish and sea trout would be everywhere🤦🏼‍♂️ its just shark.
Dang, you would assume there'd be plenty of trout and redfish

countdown under way for annual week inFort Morgan w/ son, DIL and 3 grandkids

Ahhh, The Park (as we referred to it). Many wonderful times there. A few parties in those cabins.
The image you attached to The Park is a spitting image pf a photo Dad took at Cumberland. It was taken near a favorite fishing hole in one pf the many summers we vacationed there. But I have no idea why The Park played such a big part of my boyhood.

I assume it had something to do with his being a state employee in Nashville since the Smokies were his version of heaven. I do know that he Park, and particularly the lodge, was a source of good family memories of evenings playing ping pong. badminton, shuffleboard , horseshoes and all those contraptions that gobbled up all my nickels,, dimes and quarters.

More on the Lodge. lake and the teen years later......

The image you attached to The Park is a spitting image pf a photo Dad took at Cumberland. It was taken near a favorite fishing hole in one pf the many summers we vacationed there. But I have no idea why The Park played such a big part of my boyhood.

I assume it had something to do with his being a state employee in Nashville since the Smokies were his version of heaven. I do know that he Park, and particularly the lodge, was a source of good family memories of evenings playing ping pong. badminton, shuffleboard , horseshoes and all those contraptions that gobbled up all my nickels,, dimes and quarters.

More on the Lodge. lake and the teen years later......
I enjoy reading your memories of Cumberland Mt. State Park & your Dad. So many fun picnics, swimming (before the pool) in Byrd Lake, hiking the trails, etc. So, I'll attach another photo (winter scene from 2022).

Attachments

• Cumberland Mt. State Park Jan2022.jpg
    Cumberland Mt. State Park Jan2022.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 4

VN Store

Back