Veterans, where you served

me_grag53

Grew up on or around army bases. Army 1972-1975 interrogation , 96C. Language school Monterey Ca. Stationed at FT Huachuca Az. And Munich , Germany. Got there spring after the the attack on Israeli Olympians in ' 72. Loved moving around and seeing the world. Never in combat as troops were coming home from Nam by then.

Army 2002-2022. 11B
Trained at Ft. Benning ‘02
Ft. Drum ‘03-’04 (2 deployments to Iraq)
Ft. Stewart ‘04-‘11 (3 deployments to Iraq)
Ft. Jackson ‘11-‘13 (Drill Sergeant)
JBER ‘14-‘16 (1 deployment to Kosovo)
Ft. Campbell ‘17-‘22

Last edited:
Would be cool to hear about people you ran into or may have been stationed together with at other places. I ran into a girl in Ft. Belvoir Va. I hung out with at Ft. Sheridan Illinois , a bit south of Great Lakes Naval Station. Ever met someone at an airport you hadn't seen in a few years. I really did love the travelling.

You experienced a lot of different cultures and places during your time in the Army. The language school in Monterey sounds interesting

Reactions: me_grag53
You experienced a lot of different cultures and places during your time in the Army. The language school in Monterey sounds interesting
It was really great. Up the hill behind the barracks you can see most all of Monterey Bay. One of my instructors had been working in Argentina and one of his coworkers was taken away. Turns out he was a wanted nazi. And the stories of Russians and vodka , all true. We had a few classes in the NCO club and they made lemon vodka with lemon peel and peppercorn vodka for an authentic Russian meal. I think they ended up closing the Monterey campus. I have most definitely been blessed.

Reactions: malinoisvol
USAF '80 - '05

Texas (BMTS)
Illinois (Tech School)
Arkansas (Blytheville)
Louisiana (Barksdale)
Arizona (Davis-Mothan)
Germany (Weuschheim AS)
North Carolina (ShadyJ)
Alaska (Eielson)
Florida (Tyndall)
Korea (Suwon)
Florida (Hurlburt Field)

With extended vacations to Panama, Korea x3, and Qatar x2.

ETA: I forgot about Saudi (PSAB).

USAF '80 - '05

Texas (BMTS)
Illinois (Tech School)
Arkansas (Blytheville)
Louisiana (Barksdale)
Arizona (Davis-Mothan)
Germany (Weuschheim AS)
North Carolina (ShadyJ)
Alaska (Eielson)
Florida (Tyndall)
Korea (Suwon)
Florida (Hurlburt Field)

With extended vacations to Panama, Korea x3, and Qatar x2.

ETA: I forgot about Saudi (PSAB).
My only overseas station was Munich. Alaska and Panama seem like would be cool to go to. What tech school Illinois? I am not very familiar with AF stations. What is the AF base by Ft Dix? When we hit formation we were at the end of the runway, so takeoffs were almost right overhead. Watching the jets takeoff and the DC5s land was cool. They seem to just float down out of the sky ..

My only overseas station was Munich. Alaska and Panama seem like would be cool to go to. What tech school Illinois? I am not very familiar with AF stations. What is the AF base by Ft Dix? When we hit formation we were at the end of the runway, so takeoffs were almost right overhead. Watching the jets takeoff and the DC5s land was cool. They seem to just float down out of the sky ..
Munich... went to class there for 4 days back in 1987. Awesome city! Alaska, if you can get past the mosquitos, is great. Panama, loved the few locals I got to meet in December '89.

Maguire (sp?) Is next to Dix. I've never been there. Nothing like the sound of a C5... especially the one that you are manifested on :).

Would be cool to hear about people you ran into or may have been stationed together with at other places. I ran into a girl in Ft. Belvoir Va. I hung out with at Ft. Sheridan Illinois , a bit south of Great Lakes Naval Station. Ever met someone at an airport you hadn't seen in a few years. I really did love the travelling.
The first 10 years of my oldest being in the USAF led to a lot of texts asking "Do you remember so and so?" "He's here and is now an (E9, WG, or GS)." Does my heart good to know a lot of my younguns have surpassed me and that they will look after my offspring.

JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson) is in Anchorage. That was by far my favorite duty station.

Last edited:
The first 10 years of my oldest being in the USAF led to a lot of texts asking "Do you remember so and so?" "He's here and is now an (E9, WG, or GS)." Does my heart good to know a lot of my younguns have surpassed me and that they will look after my offspring.
That is awesome. Did you remember many people he mentioned?

Munich... went to class there for 4 days back in 1987. Awesome city! Alaska, if you can get past the mosquitos, is great. Panama, loved the few locals I got to meet in December '89.

Maguire (sp?) Is next to Dix. I've never been there. Nothing like the sound of a C5... especially the one that you are manifested on :).
Thats it Maguire(sp?also). And I have heard about the mosquitos in alaska from my bro in law who went looking for gold. Lasted about one summer.

What about you? You get to travel much?
Your time in Monterey sounds incredible, especially with all those unique experiences! I haven’t traveled as much as you have, but I’ve had some memorable trips. I visited Italy a few years ago and was amazed by the rich history and the local cuisine. It’s always such a privilege to explore new cultures.

Your time in Monterey sounds incredible, especially with all those unique experiences! I haven’t traveled as much as you have, but I’ve had some memorable trips. I visited Italy a few years ago and was amazed by the rich history and the local cuisine. It’s always such a privilege to explore new cultures.
What amazed me , besides the history , is how they managed to build the things they did that are still around today with what they had then . That , the cappucino, and most of everything I ate.

VN Store

Back