Veterans, where you served

I’ve only experienced the MEDEVAC side, but it’s mostly a good time. I would not enjoy all the planning that goes into an air assault. I like getting coordinates and pulling the guts out of it en route. Only thing better would be blowing stuff up.
Did MedEvac in Korea and Germany. Great and needed service. Just not for me.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
I didn't have a choice. LOL Reenlisted for Drum once, that's desperate, orders deleted because they didn't have Hawks there yet. Had orders to Eustis once, those orders deleted due to stop move. Tried to send me to Korea for a third trip.
VERY lol

Were you at Arafjon or Bhuering when in Kuwait??

First time we were at Doha just outside Kuwait City. We moved out to another area but I can’t remember the name. Second time was when Iraq was moving toward the border. I was at home and called back to base. We deployed 2 days later.

First time we were at Doha just outside Kuwait City. We moved out to another area but I can’t remember the name. Second time was when Iraq was moving toward the border. I was at home and called back to base. We deployed 2 days later.
Ah yes, forgot about Doha! I was only there once. Sort of a transient camp if I remember correctly!

Ah yes, forgot about Doha! I was only there once. Sort of a transient camp if I remember correctly!

I guess it was kind of like the NTC of the Middle East. Well there and I think there was a training facility in Egypt. There’s active duty there but also serves as a hub for training rotations.

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
I had to work with some Egyptians while over there.....they would lie to you about what they wanted for breakfast..:mad:

USAF Retired: F15s 100% Service Connected T&P
Lackland AFB Basic Training
Lowry AFB 1 yr Tech School
Eglin AFB
Dahrah Saudi Arabia (Khobar Towers)
Riyahd SA - Missions in Iraq and Afghanistan
Lakenheath AFB England
Seymour Johnson AFB
Spent time (multiple) Nellis AFB and the Pentagon
Other…can’t say

Best decision I ever made!!

Grew up on or around army bases. Army 1972-1975 interrogation , 96C. Language school Monterey Ca. Stationed at FT Huachuca Az. And Munich , Germany. Got there spring after the the attack on Israeli Olympians in ' 72. Loved moving around and seeing the world. Never in combat as troops were coming home from Nam by then.
US Army (R)
85-88 Panama (Honduras, Costa Rica)
88-91 FTCKY
92-95 Hickman AFB (SRV, Laos, Cambodia)
95-97 FTBNC
98-01 FTHTX (Bosnia)
01-02 Korea
02-06 FTCKY (Iraq x 2)
07-13 Maxwell AFB

Loved almost every minute 😎

USAF Retired: F15s 100% Service Connected T&P
Lackland AFB Basic Training
Lowry AFB 1 yr Tech School
Eglin AFB
Dahrah Saudi Arabia (Khobar Towers)
Riyahd SA - Missions in Iraq and Afghanistan
Lakenheath AFB England
Seymour Johnson AFB
Spent time (multiple) Nellis AFB and the Pentagon
Other…can’t say

Best decision I ever made!!
Thanks for your service! Also, LOVE your Avi!!!

"Lifers Brat" here, born in Germany. Lived on base in Ft. Benning, Ga., Ft. Knox, Ky., and Ft. Greely, Ak.
Joined the Navy in 82. Boot Camp in Orlando, Fl., A-School in Millington, Tn., 1st real duty station at Coronado Island, Ca., and finished in 86 at Misawa, Japan.

In high school, I was dead set on joining the Navy when I got out. Nam was raging when I graduated and my parents begged and pleaded with me to try a semester in college. So, I did and discovered sex, drugs and rock n roll!! And finally graduated.
For years I always wondered "what if". Then in 04, after being laid off as a Contractor to NASA in Huntsville, AL, got a job as a Contractor to the Army and went to the big "Sandbox" 04-06. Kuwait most, 6 mos. in Iraq (Camp Liberty, Baghdad and AlAsad) with side trips to Qatar and Dubai. Sailed the coast of Greece for 3 weeks on leave in 05. Back to TN late 06 to care for my Dad in his last days. Worked at Arnold AFB, TN in 07 and was contacted by a headhunter late 07 and in 08-11 went to work as a Contractor to US Navy in Indonesia on an island N of Australia, Timor Leste. I was support for companies of USN SeaBee's that rotated in and out on humanitarian missions.
So, although I was never in the Service, sometimes you get close to what you wish for!
Quite list of really interesting places. I am glad you have been able to get your opportunity to serve . A lifetime of memories. I was a few years after you, but my Dad left Nam 2 weeks before '67 Tet offensive.They had the draft lottery when I turned 18 and it turned out I wouldn't have been drafted, but I have been educated , blessed , and experienced places and things many only dream of. Most memorable may be 3rd grade. Dad was stationed in Fountainbleu, France . We lived in an old estate with the courtyard covered by blooming wisteria vine , the walls bombed out in a couple of places. It had a tennis court and stables , on maybe an 1-2 acres. It was directly across the street from a bakery. The aroma of fresh bread and pastries... priceless. It was a magical place for an 8-9 year old kid.

"Lifers Brat" here, born in Germany. Lived on base in Ft. Benning, Ga., Ft. Knox, Ky., and Ft. Greely, Ak.
Joined the Navy in 82. Boot Camp in Orlando, Fl., A-School in Millington, Tn., 1st real duty station at Coronado Island, Ca., and finished in 86 at Misawa, Japan.
Me too. It was funny when I joined. I had like 13 partial adresses for the "list your previous adresses" . Told Sarge I was an Army brat. He just said that was o.k then , we know all that already.

Army 84-05

Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell

Few deployments mixed in there, Honduras, Kosovo, Iraq....
Where in Germany? Used to drive to Augsburg from Munich occasionally. Generally went south though on my own time.

US Army (R)
85-88 Panama (Honduras, Costa Rica)
88-91 FTCKY
92-95 Hickman AFB (SRV, Laos, Cambodia)
95-97 FTBNC
98-01 FTHTX (Bosnia)
01-02 Korea
02-06 FTCKY (Iraq x 2)
07-13 Maxwell AFB

Loved almost every minute 😎
Good on you for doing over 20. I was never doing a day over (I did 28 days over technically lol). The Army couldn't afford me 😂

Reactions: JC61 and me_grag53
Just found this ,for those with the means to take advantage of it. " New authorization expands eligibility for guests at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch, Germany I visited for a weekend from Munich. Was wondering if it was still there. M. I. duty stations seem to be a bit off the beaten path. New Authorization Eligibility

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back