Veterans, where you served

Navy 99-07
Goose Creek SC 1 year
Mayport, FL 2 yrs
Gaeta, Italy 2 yrs
Changed job to Seabees and spent the rest in Port Hueneme, CA.
Deployments to Iraq, Japan, Persian gulf. Been to most of Mediterranean and Black Sea Europe as well as numerous Middle Eastern countries.

Navy 99-07
Goose Creek SC 1 year
Mayport, FL 2 yrs
Gaeta, Italy 2 yrs
Changed job to Seabees and spent the rest in Port Hueneme, CA.
Deployments to Iraq, Japan, Persian gulf. Been to most of Mediterranean and Black Sea Europe as well as numerous Middle Eastern countries.
Was in Mayport a couple of years……. 01-05 not in the port but across the street behind McDonald’s….the HSL hangars.

Reactions: joevol24
Very nice list. We arrived in Roatan on my wifes 50 bday and watched the sunrise over the island . Priceless.
Birthday port calls are great. We pulled into Tarragona Spain on my 21st. I was supposed to have duty, but for the only time in the history of the military, a buddy took my duty for free. Good memories

In high school, I was dead set on joining the Navy when I got out. Nam was raging when I graduated and my parents begged and pleaded with me to try a semester in college. So, I did and discovered sex, drugs and rock n roll!! And finally graduated.
For years I always wondered "what if". Then in 04, after being laid off as a Contractor to NASA in Huntsville, AL, got a job as a Contractor to the Army and went to the big "Sandbox" 04-06. Kuwait most, 6 mos. in Iraq (Camp Liberty, Baghdad and AlAsad) with side trips to Qatar and Dubai. Sailed the coast of Greece for 3 weeks on leave in 05. Back to TN late 06 to care for my Dad in his last days. Worked at Arnold AFB, TN in 07 and was contacted by a headhunter late 07 and in 08-11 went to work as a Contractor to US Navy in Indonesia on an island N of Australia, Timor Leste. I was support for companies of USN SeaBee's that rotated in and out on humanitarian missions.
So, although I was never in the Service, sometimes you get close to what you wish for!

Army 84-05

Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell

Few deployments mixed in there, Honduras, Kosovo, Iraq....

Did you all stay in the Campbell area after retirement? Not a terrible place for the army to keep sending you for a Tennessee fan. MOS?

I didn't mind it at all.

People were friendly. Decent local food.

Our guys went at the worst possible time. The first rotation got to do a bit of traveling, but the next group that went over got locked down during COVID and did nothing for a year.

Army 84-05

Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Korea
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell
Germany
Ft Campbell

Few deployments mixed in there, Honduras, Kosovo, Iraq....
Why keep going to Campbell? Unless you're from TN and even then, I wouldn't have wanted to do most of my time there lol

Why keep going to Campbell? Unless you're from TN and even then, I wouldn't have wanted to do most of my time there lol
I didn't have a choice. LOL Reenlisted for Drum once, that's desperate, orders deleted because they didn't have Hawks there yet. Had orders to Eustis once, those orders deleted due to stop move. Tried to send me to Korea for a third trip.

VN Store

Back