Vols doing well tonight

I still really don't believe that he can be evaluated as a head coach. He took over in one of the worst stretches of TN football. The guy walked into a very tough up hill battle situation. If he were to take over a talent rich bama team people may have seen him as the best coach ever. Not saying he is, just that we may never know. I am one that felt he needed to be fired as well. But just felt like even Nick Saban wouldn't have done much better with our roster.

?? You don't think guys have walked into bad situations before at UT over the course of 100 years or so? Yet he was the ONLY coach in our school's history to ever.... ever, post 3 consecutive losing seasons. He was a losing coach before he came to UT, he was a losing coach at UT, he'll be a losing coach if he ever gets a head coaching gig again after UT.

Decently productive?!?!? :banghead2: He's the second leading rusher in UT HISTORY!!!
He was on tract to becoming our number one rusher in history and would of been if not for his final year. He should of been able to make that happen his final season. If not for a complete meltdown the record books would read differently. I don't put his shortcomings in failing to become number one on him though, it is all on that seasons coaching staff. All in all I think our former Vols looked good tonight, everyone except Derrick Doofus Dooley. I don't think that man will ever look good doing anything football related. Even in the picture posted above he looks confused as crap. He just looks lost, like he just realized how big of a screw up he is and maybe just maybe coaching is not for him. Is it just me or did he always seem to have that exact look and expression on his face a few times a game? He just cant handle the big stage, you know he's thinking man I don't know what to do im completely lost.

Last edited:
Not a chance. He won 5 games with Wilcox as his D Coord the year before. He'd have found a way to squeak out 7 losses with or without him.

Recall that he had almost NOTHING to work with. We've had very little talent on defense in recent years--pretty bad. Losing him and hiring Sal was a disaster. It doesn't seem that Dooley was a good manager--there had to have been personality issues with the guy, which is strange because he's very bright and articulate and impressive in most ways. But when nearly all the assistants either left or were fired after his second year (I believe), one knew that something wasn't quite right.

Having a cohesive group of coaches is a good thing, so long as, in the case of Fulmer, they all get stale. But others make a tense environment work--see J. Majors and Saban. Butch and his group seem together and focused, and that has me encouraged. But then Dooley had me encouraged for a short while, too!

I still really don't believe that he can be evaluated as a head coach. He took over in one of the worst stretches of TN football. The guy walked into a very tough up hill battle situation. If he were to take over a talent rich bama team people may have seen him as the best coach ever. Not saying he is, just that we may never know. I am one that felt he needed to be fired as well. But just felt like even Nick Saban wouldn't have done much better with our roster.

Don't compare Dooley and Saban, just don't. Dooley mailed it in a recruiting last year when the ahole was getting paid multiple millions by our school. I don't ever want to hear any defense of that ****stick because I won't have any part of it. He has a losing record as a head coach and had an uncanny ability to find ways to lose being bad hires, bad players, bad calls, bad management, just plain bad.

Mike Hamilton deserves to be tar and feathered.

Recall that he had almost NOTHING to work with. We've had very little talent on defense in recent years--pretty bad. Losing him and hiring Sal was a disaster. It doesn't seem that Dooley was a good manager--there had to have been personality issues with the guy, which is strange because he's very bright and articulate and impressive in most ways. But when nearly all the assistants either left or were fired after his second year (I believe), one knew that something wasn't quite right.

Having a cohesive group of coaches is a good thing, so long as, in the case of Fulmer, they all get stale. But others make a tense environment work--see J. Majors and Saban. Butch and his group seem together and focused, and that has me encouraged. But then Dooley had me encouraged for a short while, too!
You are correct, we had very little to work with and most of the talent was very young yet he still managed a top 25 defense. I think he is a very good coach and one day down the road will be a head coach somewhere. If Wilcox would of stuck around I think he would of single handedly saved Dooleys job. I think it was a blessing he left even though at the time it sucked. There is no doubt in my mind that if he had stayed the team would of had a pretty good season last year. Dooley would still be on the hill and together they would field competitive teams on a yearly basis. With that said though, Dooley coached teams would always have a max ceiling and its not a very high one. He would of been able to get us to the hump but not quite over it. Had Wilcox stayed it would of just prolonged the inevitable which is the firing of Dooley.

Last edited:
I was enjoying reading about former Vols (players, that is) in the NFL preseason games.

Can the @#$%^&* Dooley debate be taken somewhere else, please??

Reactions: 2 people

He had me encouraged and hopeful for awhile as well, especially after Kiffin. But in the end, he was woefully inept as a head coach and left UT with its first 3 consecutive losing season stretch in school history.

He had me encouraged and hopeful for awhile as well, especially after Kiffin. But in the end, he was woefully inept as a head coach and left UT with its first 3 consecutive losing season stretch in school history.
Yeah at the beginning he was a little encouraging. Whatever his shortcomings are as a coach (and he had plenty), I truly believe had Wilcox stayed around Dooley would still be coach on the hill. Im glad Wilcox left though because I feel like had he stayed they would of fielded just a competitive enough of a team on a yearly basis to justify him keeping his job for a few more years. Eventually though everyone would realize that this as good as it's going to get with Dooley and UT would part ways with him. Together they would of had us right at the hump looking in but never completely over it.

Did Bray really look good? I know he completed his first two passes--than got sacked and lost a fumble on 3rd and 10. Was 1 for 5 after that. I hope he looked good. KC fans are excited about him because of his size and arm--but I'm still a skeptic. He will have to learn to make good, quick decisions in the pocket, get rid of the ball and be accurate. We'll see. It's a good situation for him, but....

I don't think he looked very good. He needs 2 years in this system under Reid before we can tell what he will be.

IIRC, we had a top 25 D with Wilcox here. People are quick to forget that Hunter went down the third game of the season and after that our offense could barely do a thing. Considering the D was always on the field, I'd say Wilcox did a great job! Our defense was great when the Chief left (I wished we had retained him, but at the same time a little excited to see what Monte could do), we lost a step or two when Monte took over, we were solid with Wilcox, then Sunseri derailed a train full of toxic waste all over the field. It wasn't pretty, and it might take a season or two to completely clean all that ish up...

NFL forum

Yeah, you posted this on the CP thread, too.

What's wrong? Just because you have to go read about YOUR alumni in the Volnation NCAA forums doesn't mean that Vol fans should have to do the same.

They're our players, not yours, and I for one would like to keep up with them for a bit. You can read about Tim and Aaron over yonder. :pepper:

IIRC, we had a top 25 D with Wilcox here. People are quick to forget that Hunter went down the third game of the season and after that our offense could barely do a thing. Considering the D was always on the field, I'd say Wilcox did a great job! Our defense was great when the Chief left (I wished we had retained him, but at the same time a little excited to see what Monte could do), we lost a step or two when Monte took over, we were solid with Wilcox, then Sunseri derailed a train full of toxic waste all over the field. It wasn't pretty, and it might take a season or two to completely clean all that ish up...
Sunseri sure as crap did derail that train and spill toxic waste everywhere. I am still amazed our defense was able to get that bad seemingly overnight. After the NC State game and first half of UF game I felt we had a pretty solid D. Next thing I know everything is turned upside down on its head so quickly your just left wondering wow what just happened, whats going on here. After the 2nd half melt down vs. FL and onto in the next few games it became really clear that Sal was an awful DC and didn't have a clue what he was doing. The good news is that there is no where to go but up this season. I think they will be better than expected. Hopefully top 30 nationwide, middle of the pack in the SEC.

Last edited:
I'd honestly be surprised if Z. Rogers doesn't make the Jet's roster. He's not the biggest guy in the world, but his potential is off the charts. Too bad he'll have the likes of Mark Sanchez throwing to him.

Not for long on Sanchez.

?? You don't think guys have walked into bad situations before at UT over the course of 100 years or so? Yet he was the ONLY coach in our school's history to ever.... ever, post 3 consecutive losing seasons. He was a losing coach before he came to UT, he was a losing coach at UT, he'll be a losing coach if he ever gets a head coaching gig again after UT.
How many coaches in U.T. football history had to face Alabama 3 times, Georgia 3 times, So. Carolina 3 times, Florida 3 times, LSU 2 times, Arkansas 1 time, and Oregon 1 time while all were Top 10 caliber teams? Dooley faced 4, 5, or 6 really highly ranked teams in all 3 years plus another Top 25 team or two. We were practically guaranteed a losing season every year with a depleted roster, and coaching changes.

2012 would have been a winning season, except for the defensive change. Fulmer, Majors, Dickey, and Neyland never played as many highly ranked ranked teams, because either S.C, Georgia, Florida, or Alabama, or 2 or 3 of them were down in some of those years. Dooley never had the luxury of coaching against Gerry DiNardo, Mike Shula, Brad Scott, Ron Zook, or Ray Goff.

Reactions: 1 person

DD = Mike Shula. Dooley had a chance, but he hired the wrong DC just like Fulmer. A better higher by either one of them would have resulted in a few more years of coaching at UT for both of them. A coach is like a CEO, they have to bring in the right people to be successful. When they don't, they are out the door.

P.S. Saban would have done the same thing here that he has done at Alabama. He went 5-7 his first year at Alabama. I don't think the team he inherited from Mike was any better than what DD inherited, but he turned it around in a hurry. Dooley didn't.

Sucks to see how a mediocre to decently productive tailback for us becomes an absolute stud in the NFL (aka Arian Foster)
Happy to see these guys doing well though.

worse when you realize that, on the roster around the same time, we had Arian (top 3 back in the NFL) and Montario (2nd round draft pick), yet only once did either of them record more than 40 yards against Florida (the year Phil didn't coach)

VN Store

Back