Vols Fall Practice #2

see that they see that Chaz Nimrod has taken a step up is nice to hear...it means we have a lot more depth and anyone that beats him out has done something. Nimrod and Webb were not chopped liver last season by any means could have liked to have seen more but knowing they are improving is good news in case some others don't necessarily pan out.

I'll get roasted but Nico, while having filled out a bit, still looks pretty wiry to me.

He's a tall kid next to Gaston Moore and the others but apparently weighs about the same as Moore.

The SEC Defenses are going to try to break him in half, I'm afraid. On the plus side, he's got some dogs in front of him.
I concur. He may shock, but he's a Slim Jim. I don't think even Peyton was that skinny. He makes me think about the Metal Men characters and Tin and Mercury.
1722545286789.jpeg

Nico has put on 25lbs since he got to UT, and they want 5 more before the 1st game. He still looks underweight. That’s coming from my 6’7” 260lbs eyes. Has Heuple ever used a trick play at any point in his 3 years of coaching at UT? I can’t remember one if he has.

Nico has put on 25lbs since he got to UT, and they want 5 more before the 1st game. He still looks underweight. That’s coming from my 6’7” 260lbs eyes. Has Heuple ever used a trick play at any point in his 3 years of coaching at UT? I can’t remember one if he has.
Princeton Fant threw a touchdown against ut Martin. That’s about all I can remember

Just watched some of the early footage from day 1 of fall camp and it looks like we have a loaded roster. Talent all over the field. But the group that stands out above the rest is the d-line. It's insane how much talent and depth we have at that position. We literally can go 3-deep at every defensive line position with guys who are quality SEC starters and potential future pros. I don't think there's a team in the country that comes close to our talent level on the defensive line.

2 guys who stood out to me that could have breakout seasons were #97 Jayson Jenkins and #29 Jordan Ross. Both look like grown men. Ross being a true freshman and already looking like the most impressive physical specimen on the d-line is crazy. I think he ends up being better than James Pearce when it's all said and done.

Well at least the media seems to be agreeing with you. From Fingers practice notes today:

Along the defensive line Tennessee has an embarrassment of riches, particularly at edge rusher. Josh Josephs looks stronger and I’m really impressed by Jordan Ross makeup as a freshman that enrolled in June. Lots of edge rushers arrive at college way to slender to even touch the field. That’s not the case for Ross. Tennessee has so much depth that he may not play much at all, but it won’t be because of his build.
r.schumpert

Princeton Fant threw a touchdown against ut Martin. That’s about all I can remember
That one comes to mind. Also depends on what one calls a “trick play.” Heupel confuses defenses often with late motion that creates indecision regarding who passes off receivers to other DBs and who picks them up.

Was the TD to Hyatt after he lined up in the backfield against Missouri a trick play?

Guys we are a secondary away from being serious title contenders. Might just be even with a so so secondary
The odds are just simply in our favor for an improved secondary this year. Heupel is in his fourth season and the talent & depth should be much better now.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nico is 6-6. That makes him look thinner. He would look filled out if he were the same thickness at 6-3. So he’s no easier to “break” than a filled out 6-3 QB.
I guess that's true. I think of Trevor Lawrence, who was a similar size and build, I suppose. He didn't get killed but the ACC ain't the SEC.

Arch weighs about what Nico weighs, is a couple of inches shorter and runs a similar 40, I think, and no one would accuse him of being a beast.

Or Ewers, who is about like Arch, I think. Or Carson Beck, who Nico would smoke in a 40, but looks pretty average size for a QB.

I'm just looking at him vs his peers. He's bigger than last year and hopefully hasn't lost any speed getting there, but it's a tough conference.

VN Store

Back