Vols open at -48 against Kent State

Crap games like Kent State, I don't like them either. I think they get scheduled to provide extra early fall practice. Mainly, to evaluate players more, iron out a few kinks, and basically as extra intra-squad style practices. Once in a blue moon, this backfires (NIU vs. ND). Personally, I'd prefer scheduling mid to bottom tier major conference teams.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Crap games like Kent State, I don't like them either. I think they get scheduled to provide extra early fall practice. Mainly, to evaluate players more, iron out a few kinks, and basically as extra intra-squad style practices. Once in a blue moon, this backfires (NIU vs. ND). Personally, I'd prefer scheduling mid to bottom tier major conference teams.

i'd rather us play Kent st and put 28 on the board in 1Q, then Kent gives up, injury chance becomes low, than to play a Memphis and have it close-ish for 2 quarters and them playing for all the marbles the entire game.

This is good scheduling. Our schedule is brutal enough as is, we need a tune up/practice/soft game for scheme practice and fundamentals for the entire team especially backups. Injuries can happen in any setting and especially if the other team thinks they have a chance.

I have 5 extra lower level tickets in Section A. If interested please call or text at 901.606.1998 - Thanks Dan

Break some records?

The rout can be traced back to a 22-0 loss the Georgia Tech baseball team, also coached by Heisman, suffered in the spring of 1915. Heisman suspected that Cumberland had stacked its team with professional ringers.

He didn't have to wait long for his chance for revenge. Cumberland discontinued its football program in 1916 but had committed to play Georgia Tech on Oct. 7 before the program was suspended. Cumberland reportedly would owe Tech $3,000 if the game was not played. Heisman insisted Cumberland come to Atlanta and play the game. He chipped in $500 (worth roughly $11,500 today) and paid for travel expenses.

Cumberland's roster was filled with fraternity brothers assembled by the team's student manager. Tech was stocked with players went on to win the national championship in 1917 by defeating Cal in the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
Kent is ranked dead last in D1 football. Look at the predicted scores by Volnation members on the name the score thread. Most have UT winning by 50+. I see it as 63-3 . That's a cover. 42-0 in the first half. Second teamers add 21.
My advice is solid. Dont' take -48 on any game. Wild **** happens and a 45 point victory is still a big ass win.

The concept of "running up the score" is a curious one. Would it be respectful to take your foot off the gas so as not to hurt the feelings of others? Not to mention, the idea of second and third string not playing hard due to a high score they weren't involved in. Therefore, I think I am justified in predicting 80-0. Cut the check.
One of the tiebreakers in SEC standings is score margin. So against SEC opponents, you run up the score if possible.

Break some records?

The rout can be traced back to a 22-0 loss the Georgia Tech baseball team, also coached by Heisman, suffered in the spring of 1915. Heisman suspected that Cumberland had stacked its team with professional ringers.

He didn't have to wait long for his chance for revenge. Cumberland discontinued its football program in 1916 but had committed to play Georgia Tech on Oct. 7 before the program was suspended. Cumberland reportedly would owe Tech $3,000 if the game was not played. Heisman insisted Cumberland come to Atlanta and play the game. He chipped in $500 (worth roughly $11,500 today) and paid for travel expenses.

Cumberland's roster was filled with fraternity brothers assembled by the team's student manager. Tech was stocked with players went on to win the national championship in 1917 by defeating Cal in the Rose Bowl.
Thanks for that History! Now we know the why/how. BUT, wouldn't 100-0 be sufficient revenge? lol

48 is OK. Never give up 50+. Kent St is Dead last #134 in the power rankings. Vols by 60. They lost at home to St Francis........
I mean honestly we can score whatever we want. Heupel may decide to run the ball every down and get this one over though which would keep the score lower. I have no doubt we could score triple digits if we cared to vs this team though.

I mean honestly we can score whatever we want. Heupel may decide to run the ball every down and get this one over though which would keep the score lower. I have no doubt we could score triple digits if we cared to vs this team though.
Tennessee can score 50 on the ground. Nico has to get his throws in ----in the first half, just to "keep improving" Heuple, "It's not about them, It's about us." Josh wants the team to continue improving, which means reps. The second/third teamers could cover the 50. Nico gets 5 TDS in the first half.

I HOPE THIS is the TACT used for ALL traveling in for this game...

If anyone talks smack to most opposing fans, but especially a team like Kent State, you may need to do some looking inward to figure out that you have a problem.

If anything, a Kent State fan traveling to sit in the rain is there to watch and experience all the pageantry and tradition that we have as much as they are there to cheer their team on.

VN Store

Back