Vols you played with or against growing up

I played against Bill Bates when he was at Farragut. I also got to spend some time with him in Black Mountain NC at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Conference. He was a beast and a azz on the field. Off the field, he was/is a quality guy.

Jeremaine Copeland at the Kingston City Park (still believe he was good enough to play basketball at Tennessee, and good enough to play WR in the NFL -- just never got on the right team).

Went to high school with Kevin Mays, though he was a bit older. Nice guy, though.

Played against Travis Cozart in little league football. He was unstoppable then, and remains the biggest waste of God-given ability that I've ever seen. Million dollar body, ten cent brain.

One time I challenged Tyler Bray to see who could throw beer bottles the furthest. I bailed, but it didn't end well for Tyler

Reactions: 2 people
I played baseball with Larry Simcox. His son AJ is a star for the UT team now.

I played against Larry Simcox. (Actually, I think I sat on the bench, but WE played against him.) Played summer league with Larry Tinsley who had a sub-2.00 era his lone year with the vols and played some minor league ball after that.

Guarded Michael Poole.

Non-Vol Jimmy Braddock scored 58 against us. I think I was the only one who didn't have the honor of chasing him that night. (Very disappointed when he went to UNC. He could've averaged 25 for DeVoe.)

Near-brush with greatness: Spent a couple of weeks on the football team, then quit to practice basketball. That season, Reggie White humiliated the football team. Played a practice game with Reggie's high school basketball team, but Reggie was involved in the football playoffs, so we didn't get to play him.

edit: Sorry, forgot that Larry Tinsley and I were also on the same high school team for a short while, then I got too frustrated with the coach and went off to practice basketball instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I played against Haskell Stanback in a pick-up basketball game on the court between Hess Hall and Melrose Hall. He was a much better running back than a basketball player. He was pretty fast though.

Reactions: 1 person
I played baseball with Al Wilson at JCM... He was a senior and I a lowly freshman.

I played against Kevin Mays. I grew up in LC and was a couple of years older than Travis Cozart. By the time he was in 8th grade he could easily hang with the older guys.

I was at Fountain City when Reggie Cobb played at Central, and I was at Gresham when Todd Helton was Central's QB.

One of the wildest high school games I ever saw was between Todd Helton-led Central and Little Man Stewart-led Morristown West. There were several lead changes before Central pulled away in the 4th quarter.

I tackled Reggie White in hs....well he tripped and fell down when he ran over me.

He was much thinner in hs and played tight end on O for Howard HS. Charles Morgan was their QB. He was much thicker built than Reggie at that time and hit like a freight train. Shame he didn't last at UT.

Jeremaine Copeland at the Kingston City Park (still believe he was good enough to play basketball at Tennessee, and good enough to play WR in the NFL -- just never got on the right team).

Went to high school with Kevin Mays, though he was a bit older. Nice guy, though.

Played against Travis Cozart in little league football. He was unstoppable then, and remains the biggest waste of God-given ability that I've ever seen. Million dollar body, ten cent brain.

Travis did waste his talent. A shame.

Former Vol Arrested For Campus Assault

Ex-Vol player shot in West Knoxville Walmart parking lot - WKRN, Nashville News, Nashville Weather and Sports

You still in the Chattanooga area? We need to have a gathering. I didn't realize how many Chattanooga/North Georgia people were on here.

The Bullocks were a big miss for us. I remember watching Demetrius and Brandon Fields shred them from Cleveland High .

VN Store

Back