Wanna beat Iowa?

It's easy if you can do a few things...

On offense: Be patient, take what the defense gives you. Short passes, try to establish run game, have variety. Don't run reverses, don't throw deep or over the middle, and don't turn the ball over. Score in the red zone.
Lucky for you, we're bad at most of those things. We're a big play offense that hasn't had nearly enough big plays this season (partly due to losing 2 of our top WRs). We do well throwing deep and running. We're not nearly as good at short and intermediate throws or converting 3rd and short.

Bad news for you all is our D-line is pretty good. We're pretty thin at LB and secondary, though.

I honestly think this will be a pretty good game. Low scoring. Even though Heupel is known for offense, our D has been stronger than the offense this year. Don't be surprised by a 20-13 type of game.

Thanks for dropping by, BrewHawk! Appreciate your comments!

On offense: Be patient, take what the defense gives you. Short passes, try to establish run game, have variety. Don't run reverses, don't throw deep or over the middle, and don't turn the ball over. Score in the red zone.

On defense: Load up the box to stop the run. Man up on the wideouts. Know where the TEs are and jam them off the line. Don't worry about the deep ball because our OL can't protect the QB long enough to get the pass off.

Don't expect much success on special teams. Michigan's punt return the other night was a complete bonus surprise for them and not the norm. Convert FGs when you get the chance. If you can get four, it will likely be enough points to win.

Safe travels for those going to Orlando. You will likely outnumber Iowa fans by at least 4:1 again.
Any chance Phil Parker wants to leave Iowa? We will take him

Good effort!

Of course, he has already been fired, effective at the end of the season.
With a name like BrewHawk I had to go out and check a brewery or two.

Have you got any info on Cousin Eddie's Breakfast Ale?

On defense: Load up the box to stop the run. Man up on the wideouts. Know where the TEs are and jam them off the line. Don't worry about the deep ball because our OL can't protect the QB long enough to get the pass off.

Don't expect much success on special teams. Michigan's punt return the other night was a complete bonus surprise for them and not the norm. Convert FGs when you get the chance. If you can get four, it will likely be enough points to win.

Safe travels for those going to Orlando. You will likely outnumber Iowa fans by at least 4:1 again.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Believe it or not, Tennessee is much closer in talent to Penn State and Michigan, the two teams that they lost to In magnificent ways, than any of the teams that Iowa beat.

Conversely, Iowa is between Kentucky and Vanderbilt in aggregate talent (slightly closer to Kentucky than Vanderbilt).

In other words, if Iowa wins we would be their biggest win in relation to talent difference and they would be our worst loss, by far.

By faaaaar.

The reality is the B1G, outside of the top three teams, is solidly an untalented conference. 2 of the top 3 teams would be no more than mildly mid level SEC rosters.

I have a lot of great Hawkeye friends. They are great fans and frustrated with the offense the last two seasons.

Looking forward to a great game against a great defense. Hopefully our best pass rusher will be out of hot water by then.

Believe it or not, Tennessee is much closer in talent to Penn State and Michigan, the two teams that they lost to In magnificent ways, than any of the teams that Iowa beat.

Conversely, Iowa is between Kentucky and Vanderbilt in aggregate talent (slightly closer to Kentucky than Vanderbilt).

In other words, if Iowa wins we would be their biggest win in relation to talent difference and they would be our worst loss, by far.

By faaaaar.

The reality is the B1G, outside of the top three teams, is solidly an untalented conference. 2 of the top 3 teams would be no more than mildly mid level SEC rosters.
And yet there’s a slow trickle of NFL talent out of those Big Ten west schools every year. I guess the same can be said for the likes of UK and Mississippi State though.

And yet there’s a slow trickle of NFL talent out of those Big Ten west schools every year. I guess the same can be said for the likes of UK and Mississippi State though.
I mean, Terrell Owens played at Chattanooga. To play at a p5 school you are the top 1% of the top 1%, but it's still easy to see that schools do not all have similar talent. And, comparative talent matters a great deal in predicting winners and losers.

Want Iowa to beat TN. Easy. Load the box and make Milton beat you with his arm. News Flash... he wont.

Boo to you and everyone that liked this post. Y’all suck. Not a big Milton fan, but it it what it is at this point. If you want to be butthurt go after the coach that put him in week in and week out.

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
No, but Toppling Goliath is an outstanding Iowa brewery.
TG is phenomenal but I prefer Pulpit Rock just up the road from it. If you want great beer it’s hard to beat Decorah. We go up there every August and rent a cabin in Yellow River State Forest. It’s a great time.

I think to beat Iowa we need to take advantage of our superior speed. That means throwing the ball downfield and over the top. That also takes advantage of Milton's arm strength

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back