Wanna beat Iowa?

Iowa has a very good defense and a below average offense. I think Tennessee scores in the 24-28 range, it will be a slow pull away. I don’t think Iowa can manage much passing even with our depleted secondary. We should win the battle upfront on defense and that should limit Iowa’s running game. I see a 21-10 or 27- 10 or 13 type win. GBO

Reactions: Lars
@BrewHawk last time we played, Brandon Scherff was tagged as an early-round NFL talent, won the Outland Trophy, was a consensus All-American, and has enjoyed a healthy pro career. His day at the office against Derek Barnett was fun to watch.

Any individual performers we should keep an eye on, or any matchups that are particularly intriguing?

@BrewHawk last time we played, Brandon Scherff was tagged as an early-round NFL talent, won the Outland Trophy, was a consensus All-American, and has enjoyed a healthy pro career. His day at the office against Derek Barnett was fun to watch.

Any individual performers we should keep an eye on, or any matchups that are particularly intriguing?
Well, our punter is our best player...not kidding.

Beyond that, we'll be missing our best actual player, Cooper DeJean who is an all-american CB and PR.

The defense does well because they're where their supposed to be and tackle well. What I remember from the Tax Slayer Bowl is that you can't tackle what you can't catch. I think this year's defense is much better than that one, but that game left a mark.

We rotate eight on the DL without much drop-off. The two LBs (#8 and #34) are tackling machines.

My favorite player on the defense is Sebastian Castro (#29). One nickname I've seen floating around is the Cuban Missle Crisis, and it is very appropriate. He plays a hybrid LB/S position and flies all over the place. He is the difference between our defense now vs the last one the Vols abused.

On offense, really the only players worth mentioning are the RBs (#2 and #4) and third string TE (#87). WR (#3) has come on a bit, but the **** playcalling doesn't give him much of a chance to shine.

It's easy if you can do a few things...

On offense: Be patient, take what the defense gives you. Short passes, try to establish run game, have variety. Don't run reverses, don't throw deep or over the middle, and don't turn the ball over. Score in the red zone.

On defense: Load up the box to stop the run. Man up on the wideouts. Know where the TEs are and jam them off the line. Don't worry about the deep ball because our OL can't protect the QB long enough to get the pass off.

Don't expect much success on special teams. Michigan's punt return the other night was a complete bonus surprise for them and not the norm. Convert FGs when you get the chance. If you can get four, it will likely be enough points to win.

Safe travels for those going to Orlando. You will likely outnumber Iowa fans by at least 4:1 again.
Or…we could hope Milton completes the routine intermediate passes when he’s not under pressure. Most of this season he hasn’t been able to do so. He played well against uk and UConn…and to be honest that’s it. Those are the only games where he looked like a difference maker. Sucks. Didn’t have to be this way. Most of us realized 3 years ago he wasn’t good. Sure would love to see a hefty dose of Nico in the game. But history says that won’t happen.

On offense: Be patient, take what the defense gives you. Short passes, try to establish run game, have variety. Don't run reverses, don't throw deep or over the middle, and don't turn the ball over. Score in the red zone.

On defense: Load up the box to stop the run. Man up on the wideouts. Know where the TEs are and jam them off the line. Don't worry about the deep ball because our OL can't protect the QB long enough to get the pass off.

Don't expect much success on special teams. Michigan's punt return the other night was a complete bonus surprise for them and not the norm. Convert FGs when you get the chance. If you can get four, it will likely be enough points to win.

Safe travels for those going to Orlando. You will likely outnumber Iowa fans by at least 4:1 again.
Hope that Tennessee and Iowa have an injury free game and you come back next year when Tennessee and Iowa are playing each other in the playoffs to start the same thread!! If you are heading yourself down to Orlando safe travels

Thanks!

Went and looked back at my posting history and realized it had been eight years since my last post here. Didn't mean to be such a stranger on a great board.
true football fans are more than welcome here. Most appreciate a level headed fan…no matter the team. At least I do anyways! Good luck to you guys in the future and hope we able finish this season with a win.

We’ll beat you however we want to beat you. Nowhere near SEC-level talent on your roster. Your OC won’t put up 14 points against us.

sounds like the pregame formula for most any game...

Reactions: feathersax
Well good and bad news.

Good news: We throw a lot of short passes.

Bad news: We have yet to figure out how to man up on WRs.

Reactions: feathersax
true football fans are more than welcome here. Most appreciate a level headed fan…no matter the team. At least I do anyways! Good luck to you guys in the future and hope we able finish this season with a win.
We’ll beat you however we want to beat you. Nowhere near SEC-level talent on your roster. Your OC won’t put up 14 points against us.

🙄

I agree that our offense won't score 14. Three FGs and a defensive TD might be enough to win 16-12 though.

I went to the outback bowl where we played Iowa, and their fans were great. But what else would you expect from Midwest people? ( Excluding Somalia I, I, I mean Michigan...... or Ohio) 😂😂

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Want Iowa to beat TN. Easy. Load the box and make Milton beat you with his arm. News Flash... he wont.
You’re out here making comments like that like we haven’t won a single game under Milton. He might not be Hooker but he certainly isn’t the worst QB we’ve had on the hill.. and it’s not even close.

Imagine tho somebody makes a post with a giant breakdown of their opinion and your input is “Milton can’t win.”

Couldn’t be me. But then again I actually understand what I’m watching while I watch a football game.

Man I watched the IA-MI game. Y’all need some O! Still surprising that even with the pre-season stated scoring goals/ contract language for the OC you still ended up with a good record and played for the Big10 ship. Defense looked pretty stout, fundamentally sound and like you said good special teams/punter. However I do not believe you will be able to contain our offense. Be close until right before halftime then the vols will pour on the steam.

VN Store

Back