We will beat Oregon

I Agree with this thread 100% we do have a chance where they beat people is by wearing them down most games they play in the first half score is fairly close then into the 3rd they have wore them out so bad by running a fast game the other team just can't keep up, and then the ducks gash the game open. If we can keep it close and not tire out I think we can beat this team. GBO

We win this game and put ESPN on notice. We pulverize them into duck sauce and save the drippings.

I would be interested to hear why he thinks he was "garbage".

Plus if he's garbage, what's Worley been then?

Everyone already knew Worely was nothing special....Mariotta is passing for 53 percent in his first 2 games ...ok grbage was an overstatement because he has put up some good rushing yardage as well, but so fra Oregon has not demonstrated a consistent ability to throw downfield or even to throw that well in general......i don'tthink Mriotta can beat us if we somehow contain Thomas and their backs...

Well our entire offense has been "utter garbage" and defense is still giving up big gains which is what Oregon thrives on.

Stanford held them to 14 points because Stanford is a really good football team and UT sucks compared to them.

Get real.

You can not say UT sucks compared to Stanford at this point...this is not Dooley's team anymore..it is Butch's and anyone with eyes can already see a huge difference.

The odds makers had us a 13.5 point favorite against WKU and big bad Bobby P. How did that work out?

To add to the OP's point - Oregon is very weak on D between the tackles. So they will have to commit more guys to run support, otherwise Lane and Neal will be having huge days. Worley and the receivers need to have a good game.

Butch knows what to do to slow down their offense and has told everybody the key. Our D has to have good eye discipline. They have to stay in their lanes/zones and maintain good eye discipline to not get caught looking in the backfield and falling for the fakes and motion.

How successful we are depends on how disciplined this team will be in a hostile environment. They have absolutely nothing to lose being such a big underdog with no expectations for success.

Nichollas State? UO may have mostly used their 3rd string players for that game.

Ah yes, the once powerhouse Nicholas State, not to be confused with Nicholls State.

In all seriousness though. I feel like we will be able to run the ball on them because of their weakness at linebacker. Hopefully our defensive ends have been coached up not to crash in on plays like they did all year last year or we will be in for a looooong game.

Isn't that the team from the North Pole? I hear the coach is a right jolly old soul, but the players are short and undersized. The mascot does have an interesting red nose, though.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone already knew Worely was nothing special....Mariotta is passing for 53 percent in his first 2 games ...ok grbage was an overstatement because he has put up some good rushing yardage as well, but so fra Oregon has not demonstrated a consistent ability to throw downfield or even to throw that well in general......i don'tthink Mriotta can beat us if we somehow contain Thomas and their backs...

Your entire thread was an overstatement. Do we have a chance to beat Oregon? Of course. Is it very likely as in "We will beat Oregon"? Absolutely not. Ive seen stranger things in college football, but this game will be extremely difficult for us to stay in and will take everything possibly lining up perfectly for us to be able to win.

So far, their LBs look to be a major weakness and they have zero push up the middle on offense...even against Nichollas state..Mariotta has been utter garbage the first 2 games but can burn you with his feet. 3 percent passing thus far and couldn't even get half his completions against Nicholas State...this is a one dimensional offense thus far...

They are far from invincible and have some glaring weaknesses for a number 2 ranked team...and they can't run between the tackles.

Anyone saying we can't win needs to STFU and not even watch the game....a 20th ranked Stanford held them to 14 points in Eugene last year....we just forced plus turnovers from a Bobby Petrino led offense...if we contain Thomas on the edges Mariotta will cough something up down the field against our defense. So tired of everyone saying we can't win this game when we can.

I still don't think we can win this game however, if we were going to catch a team sleeping early in the year it's going to be these guys. They haven't faced any kind of adversity, it's been a breeze through two games for them so it hasn't fostered that sense of urgency. Like I said I think the talent gap is wide enough that they should win, but if I were going to pick a game for us to have a major upset, it's this one.

The problem is they don't need to run between the tackles. To beat us you run to the outside and throw to the middle. I hope somehow they are foolish enough to make this a game of trenches, but they won't.

If we can seal the edges, they have nowhere to go but in the middle. Forcing them to win by throwing the ball is getting them out of their offensive philiosophy, and plays to our advantage. If we can win the 1x1 battles on the line, while sealing the edges and form tackling, Oregon can be beaten.

We are the best defensive line they will see this year, short of a potential championship game.

Well our entire offense has been "utter garbage" and defense is still giving up big gains which is what Oregon thrives on.

Stanford held them to 14 points because Stanford is a really good football team and UT sucks compared to them.

Get real.

You equate almost 100 points (the most in 2 opening games in like 15 years) as "utter garbage"?

Interesting take. I'll leave you to it.

So far, their LBs look to be a major weakness and they have zero push up the middle on offense...even against Nichollas state..Mariotta has been utter garbage the first 2 games but can burn you with his feet. 3 percent passing thus far and couldn't even get half his completions against Nicholas State...this is a one dimensional offense thus far...

They are far from invincible and have some glaring weaknesses for a number 2 ranked team...and they can't run between the tackles.

Anyone saying we can't win needs to STFU and not even watch the game....a 20th ranked Stanford held them to 14 points in Eugene last year....we just forced plus turnovers from a Bobby Petrino led offense...if we contain Thomas on the edges Mariotta will cough something up down the field against our defense. So tired of everyone saying we can't win this game when we can.

There's always a chance that the Vols could win a big game but our chances winning against Oregon are very slim. Not saying we won't win but it's going to be extremely difficult trying to deal with their speed and a tough environment. I do agree with you that some Vol fans need a little bit more confidence coming into this game. Heck some of them think we shouldn't even show up. So what if they're the #2 team in the country? If we can move the ball on offense and get stops on 3rd downs, it could be a lot closer than most people think. Like I said before, our chances are very slim but I have 100% faith in coach Jones and the staff to figure out a game plan on how to stop Oregon.

The problem is they don't need to run between the tackles. To beat us you run to the outside and throw to the middle. I hope somehow they are foolish enough to make this a game of trenches, but they won't.

This. Their strength happens to exploit our weakness, which is the secondary (in spite of last week's performance)

Its actually 125 points but he obviously isn't counting.

Maybe you missed my point:

45 vs AP
52 vs WKU
__
97 total

(Granted there was some defensive scoring, but that is the best 2-game start for a UT team in about 15 years, I think... It in no way indicates a garbage offense and the referenced statement indicates someone who has not watched the games, or someone who is just on here to troll.)

I do think UT can win. I literally have NEVER, NEVER actually believed UT didn't have a chance to win a football game. It's like my ability to think logically slowly erodes in the week leading up to the game. Last season was the closest I came because I had such lack of confidence in our coach. However, I always talk myself into believing and have done so with this game. I think we have a coaching staff that knows what they are doing, and a team that trusts and plays for their coaches. I think when you have that, you have a shot.

He was actually 12-21 which is 57% . Which btw is over half . When you can average 26.11 yds per carry you can get by with 12-21

He was actually 12-21 which is 57% . Which btw is over half . When you can average 26.11 yds per carry you can get by with 12-21

With our DL and Butch's emphasis on eye discipline/gap integrity, I personally don't think he'll average 26.11 yards per carry. I'll come on after the game and take my lumps if I am wrong.

He sometimes misses on short and intermediate routes, and we have to be able to take advantage when he does.

If Hood et al. can control the A gap, we can play a lot wider with the ends and LBs and have a must better shot at containing their RBs.

You sound knowledgeable brah....seriously.

If we can seal the edges, they have nowhere to go but in the middle. Forcing them to win by throwing the ball is getting them out of their offensive philiosophy, and plays to our advantage. If we can win the 1x1 battles on the line, while sealing the edges and form tackling, Oregon can be beaten.

We are the best defensive line they will see this year, short of a potential championship game.

No way, Stanford and USC both have better front sevens than we do.

VN Store

Back