We will beat Oregon

as i remember the ducks played CAL last year and their defensive coordinator said something very similar to this. score was 59-10 or something. game over in third quarter. many second, third and fourth string ducks got valuable experience. CAL has a new defensive coordinator this year.

Cool story bro.

The problem is they don't need to run between the tackles. To beat us you run to the outside and throw to the middle. I hope somehow they are foolish enough to make this a game of trenches, but they won't.

You just posted the key to winning. Spread the defense wide to keep contain, big bodies to clog the middle, and control the ball on offense with our O line and RBs. Don't throw one pass and burn the clock. Oregon can't score if they don't have the ball.

You just posted the key to winning. Spread the defense wide to keep contain, big bodies to clog the middle, and control the ball on offense with our O line and RBs. Don't throw one pass and burn the clock. Oregon can't score if they don't have the ball.

Yep. All we need is about 14-15 players on the field for this to remotely work.

Yep. All we need is about 14-15 players on the field for this to remotely work.

Butch has said from day one to play and adjust coaching and game plan to the strength of your talent. Our O line can impose their will on any team in the country. What do you not get about that? I agree our D is improved but still slow, keeping contain levels the playing field tremendously.

Butch has said from day one to play and adjust coaching and game plan to the strength of your talent. Our O line can impose their will on any team in the country. What do you not get about that? I agree our D is improved but still slow, keeping contain levels the playing field tremendously.

I think our O line is really good but not sure about imposing will on anybody. Keeping contain is easier said than done. Nothing will be easy Saturday.

Reactions: 1 person
I think our O line is really good but not sure about imposing will on anybody. Keeping contain is easier said than done. Nothing will be easy Saturday.

Agree and disagree. Our O line can pound anybody, especially an undersized Oregon D line. Agree nothing will be easy Saturday.

There is nothing undersized about the dline. Now I see why the OP thinks LBs are a weakness. I was too excited to notice the commentary by the announcers.

There is nothing undersized about the dline. Now I see why the OP thinks LBs are a weakness. I was too excited to notice the commentary by the announcers.
Here you go broseph. Oregon's speed is insane but we have a few things going for us in spite of what the program has been thru. You have to understand that while Rocky Top has been down...we will always rise again.

Phil Steele

Here you go broseph. Oregon's speed is insane but we have a few things going for us in spite of what the program has been thru. You have to understand that while Rocky Top has been down...we will always rise again.

Phil Steele

Yes, I know about your OL. That doesn't make our DL "especially" undersized.

<<So far, their LBs look to be a major weakness and they have zero push up the middle on offense...even against Nichollas state..Mariotta has been utter garbage the first 2 games>>

The Ducks have GREAT outside linebackers this year (again). The inside LB's are inexperienced.....and I expect Tennessee to use a LOT of slant patters with their wideouts, and use their tight ends a lot in the passing game. Oregon will blitz the Vols a LOT on Saturday.

As far as Mariota being "utter garbage" in two games. I must have missed those games. Last week against Virginia, Mariota was only 14 - 28 passing....but that includes 3 drops by his tight end (who will be drafted in the first round of upcoming NFL dragt). Lyerla (TE) is usually very sure handed.....in fact he DIDN'T DROP ONE CATCHABLE BALL ALL OF LAST SEASON. Also, Mariota threw the ball away 3 or 4 times.

And Mariota has ZERO turnovers in 2 games. He had 32 TD passes and 6 interceptions all of last year. Not bad for QB who is "utter garbage"...:)

You should be worrying about Thomas Tyner, De'Anthony Thomas, and Braylon Addison, and Josh Huff. Those are the guys that are going to be the weapons used on Saturday.

It should be a good game though. UT is big....and well coached.

They'll be able to move the ball on our bend but don't break defense, but I think the dline will have a good game too. Buckner and Armstead should be able to break through.

To WTD:

Looking forward to seeing how Oregon's defense plays this weekend. In fact, I am almost as excited to see them, as I am the offense. Tony Washington, Buckner, and French at defensive ends look REALLY STRONG. I think in another year French is going to be a BEAST on defense......and he is FAST. Going to be an interesting show come Saturday.

It's like any game. If you play with them for a half, you have a chance to play with them for three quarters, if you can play with them for three quarters, you have a chance to play with them the entire game. It's all in your head.

If our players really EXPECT to win, they will have a chance. If not, something has to happen early on to change their mind or it will get ugly.

If we can somehow keep it close in the 4th quarter, maybe even have a lead and force them into some throwing situations, we can win.

That being said, Mariota can throw the football. He hasn't been great this season, but he threw really well last year. It scares me because he's kind of due for a good game through the air.

Love your optimism and I also think this game is FAR from a whitewash. I was at that Oregon - Stanford game last year. The whole key here is SPEED. . .if the Vols can hang by cutting off the field in segments to slow the Ducks down we'll be in the hunt if we move the ball consistently to keep Oregon's offense off the field.

If the Vols lack team speed which has been an issue for us the last couple of years, we will be in deep do-do!

Go Vols!!

Mike

So far, their LBs look to be a major weakness and they have zero push up the middle on offense...even against Nichollas state..Mariotta has been utter garbage the first 2 games but can burn you with his feet. 3 percent passing thus far and couldn't even get half his completions against Nicholas State...this is a one dimensional offense thus far...

They are far from invincible and have some glaring weaknesses for a number 2 ranked team...and they can't run between the tackles.

Anyone saying we can't win needs to STFU and not even watch the game....a 20th ranked Stanford held them to 14 points in Eugene last year....we just forced plus turnovers from a Bobby Petrino led offense...if we contain Thomas on the edges Mariotta will cough something up down the field against our defense. So tired of everyone saying we can't win this game when we can.

There is no comparison between Stanford and Tennessee. Stanford's DBs and OLBs are in a class of themselves. They don't have that big of front either. They are tall and rangy. Mauro, Anderson, and Gardner at DE/DT are of the 6'5" 275 variety (this is important because they aren't too big to string out plays). The nose tackle in Parry isn't even 300 pounds. They use huge linebackers that play in space. We're talking 6'5" 260 OLBs and corners that are 200 pounds. Where they're big is on the edges. Likewise, they have the best safety combo in cfb. Richards and Reynolds are both projected as 2nd round draft picks.

We have the best edge blockers in CFB with our WR and pulling linemen. The way to beat that is to be big and athletic on the edge. A 4-3 defense with 260 pounds ends and 230 OLBs and 180 corners is just not anything we don't see on a regular basis. Jordan Williams is the kind of athlete that can disrupt the ducks but the problem is he plays with his hands in the dirt. Leuders and Tarpley (Stanford's 6'5" 260 OLBs) are stand up OLBs that know how to play in space by virtue of role and responsibility.

The only 4-3 defense to hold us below 35 was Auburn. The DTs had elite first steps and disrupted the mesh point. However, they gave the boundary to Darron Thomas and he didn't make them pay. That game played with Mariota would've gone the ducks way.

Oregon wins that game IF, and only IF, Scam Newton doesn't play.

Our DEs and OLBs have to contain and turn things back inside. Funnel back towards Dan and AJ.

I just will not be able to bear witnessing DEs getting caught inside and runners bouncing outside again ala last year. I do not believe that will be the case, but we are getting Jaq back this week and he was one of those guys getting repeatedly burned last year.

I am actually thrilled to get him back becuase he does bring that edge rush speed we need, but that is also what gets him in trouble from time to time. I just hope he has developed a little more disciplined approach this off season.

I'd feel more comfortable if we had a QB that the defense has to respect at least.
Good news. According to Times Free Press Pat Brown reports that Worley "thinks" he needs to let receivers catch the ball in stride, OC is working with his mechanics, and that his ball location is subpar.

"Justin Worley feels he's played pretty well during the season's first two games :eek:hmy::crazy: and from Bajakian "I think he's continually getting better. He's looking to improve every week."

I'm pumped. :ermm:

Also, as far as the OL goes, I do believe that they can be a punishing Run-blocking group. They are plenty talented...But when are we going to let them do it? That has to be an all-game event. The rewards of that type of game comes deep into the game. You can't finesse all game and then try to grind it out late - and then say "well, we tried".

Its about weraing the D out over time.

Also, as far as the OL goes, I do believe that they can be a punishing Run-blocking group. They are plenty talented...But when are we going to let them do it? That has to be an all-game event. The rewards of that type of game comes deep into the game. You can't finesse all game and then try to grind it out late - and then say "well, we tried".

Its about weraing the D out over time.

the quality of oregons defensive players from first to third string doesnt really vary that much. they will substitute freely throughout the game i would imagine. like chip use to say "next man up". not sure about the depth of tennessees defense and whether they will sub freely or keep their aces in the game as long as possible which might be necessary if the vols have a big quality gap between first and second string. in which case fatigue would be a factor that would work against you later on.

VN Store

Back