We will beat Oregon

Three things,
UT's secondary is better than most realize and last week was no fluke. McNeil and Randolph are the real deal and make the CBs better and allow more risk taking (jumping routes etc). Oregon does not want 30+ pass attempts against this secondary. Yes, u can burn the CBs but the safeties are good enough to limit the YAC.

IF McCullers plays in this game the way he has practiced then "LOOK OUT" will be said quite often by the Oregon OL

Worley needs to build chemistry with North and Howard now! These two are legit playmakers and need to get the ball in stride. Worley has the ability but needs to be decisive.

If these three things play in UT's favor or 2 of them do then we definitely have a Puncher's chance.
GO VOLS!

but only if our defensive front four can penetrate the big O offense line and disrupt their game plan at the start of each play.
If the Vols do not keep a lot of pressure on their quarterback, he will stand in the pocket and pick us apart.
We need to penetrate and disrupt to have a chance.
I will be watching our defensive line close.

If the Vols do not keep a lot of pressure on their quarterback, he will stand in the pocket and pick us apart.

He's much less dangerous to us passing from his pocket then he is when he runs out......believe that!

IF McCullers plays in this game the way he has practiced then "LOOK OUT" will be said quite often by the Oregon OL

Hope to God they got him a first class seat, would hate to think of 6'8" flying coach and then playing a game. I'm 6'5" and not much smaller, and put me on a plane from here to Oregon, and my knees would be shot if I don't get some leg room on that flight.....:p

No way, Stanford and USC both have better front sevens than we do.

I am not even sure Tennessee is better than UVA's defensive line. I have watched both Tennessee's games and the dline was meh. McCullers looks like he is in quick sand. In pass pro WKU was able to take him one on one. Hood is undersized. I thought Jordan Williams looked good but good luck with that when our offensive tackles are the best we've ever had.

Our oline struggled on dives last game. That was one game in the 2nd game of the season away from Autzen. We have used very basic blocking schemes to this point of the season. I am not sure we throw the playbook at these guys as well. Part of it is breaking in two new guards.

Speaking of those two new guards. Hamani Stevens was a blue chip recruits, he is 316 pounds, and squats over 600 pounds. Oregon will be getting **** up the middle with him and our all pac - 12 center. They needed some repetitions and we got some.

Reactions: 1 person
There is no comparison between Stanford and Tennessee. Stanford's DBs and OLBs are in a class of themselves. They don't have that big of front either. They are tall and rangy. Mauro, Anderson, and Gardner at DE/DT are of the 6'5" 275 variety (this is important because they aren't too big to string out plays). The nose tackle in Parry isn't even 300 pounds. They use huge linebackers that play in space. We're talking 6'5" 260 OLBs and corners that are 200 pounds. Where they're big is on the edges. Likewise, they have the best safety combo in cfb. Richards and Reynolds are both projected as 2nd round draft picks.

We have the best edge blockers in CFB with our WR and pulling linemen. The way to beat that is to be big and athletic on the edge. A 4-3 defense with 260 pounds ends and 230 OLBs and 180 corners is just not anything we don't see on a regular basis. Jordan Williams is the kind of athlete that can disrupt the ducks but the problem is he plays with his hands in the dirt. Leuders and Tarpley (Stanford's 6'5" 260 OLBs) are stand up OLBs that know how to play in space by virtue of role and responsibility.

The only 4-3 defense to hold us below 35 was Auburn. The DTs had elite first steps and disrupted the mesh point. However, they gave the boundary to Darron Thomas and he didn't make them pay. That game played with Mariota would've gone the ducks way.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between Stanford and Tennessee. Stanford's DBs and OLBs are in a class of themselves. They don't have that big of front either. They are tall and rangy. Mauro, Anderson, and Gardner at DE/DT are of the 6'5" 275 variety (this is important because they aren't too big to string out plays). The nose tackle in Parry isn't even 300 pounds. They use huge linebackers that play in space. We're talking 6'5" 260 OLBs and corners that are 200 pounds. Where they're big is on the edges. Likewise, they have the best safety combo in cfb. Richards and Reynolds are both projected as 2nd round draft picks.

We have the best edge blockers in CFB with our WR and pulling linemen. The way to beat that is to be big and athletic on the edge. A 4-3 defense with 260 pounds ends and 230 OLBs and 180 corners is just not anything we don't see on a regular basis. Jordan Williams is the kind of athlete that can disrupt the ducks but the problem is he plays with his hands in the dirt. Leuders and Tarpley (Stanford's 6'5" 260 OLBs) are stand up OLBs that know how to play in space by virtue of role and responsibility.

The only 4-3 defense to hold us below 35 was Auburn. The DTs had elite first steps and disrupted the mesh point. However, they gave the boundary to Darron Thomas and he didn't make them pay. That game played with Mariota would've gone the ducks way.
Cheif Chavis, former UT Vol, defensive coordinator for LSU, LSU 40, OU 27, after 3 quarters of football OU 13 points Things that make you go hmmmmmm: Oregon Ducks vs. LSU Tigers - Box Score - September 03, 2011 - ESPN

Last edited:
So far, their LBs look to be a major weakness and they have zero push up the middle on offense...even against Nichollas state..Mariotta has been utter garbage the first 2 games but can burn you with his feet. 3 percent passing thus far and couldn't even get half his completions against Nicholas State...this is a one dimensional offense thus far...

They are far from invincible and have some glaring weaknesses for a number 2 ranked team...and they can't run between the tackles.

Anyone saying we can't win needs to STFU and not even watch the game....a 20th ranked Stanford held them to 14 points in Eugene last year....we just forced plus turnovers from a Bobby Petrino led offense...if we contain Thomas on the edges Mariotta will cough something up down the field against our defense. So tired of everyone saying we can't win this game when we can.

Admire you fire and enthusiasm. At the end of the day we won’t win, I doubt it will be close as well. Doesn’t make me not a Vol fan, just very realistic. Yes any given Saturday etc.. but this won’t be that Saturday. We gave up 400 yds to WKU, Oregon will not have 7 turnovers as well. Here is to hoping I’m wrong, but just don’t be pissed on Saturday. TN is heading in the right direction but just isn’t up to this caliber yet.

4-2-5 base.
Weak very weak cover, you must not realize how many years we watched John Chavis defenses on The Hill, GMAFB, you still have guys on your team this year that still have busted lips from that 4 man SEC D front, ya'll about to get a second dose of that.

Last edited:
4-2-5 base.

Unless they did that specifically for Oregon, LSU most definitely played a 4-3 base defense that whole 2011 season. They continue to play a 4-3 base defense, and likely won't change it as long as Chavis is the DC. Now, I didn't watch that game particularly closely so for all I know they were in Nickel the entire game.

Unless they did that specifically for Oregon, LSU most definitely played a 4-3 base defense that whole 2011 season. They continue to play a 4-3 base defense, and likely won't change it as long as Chavis is the DC. Now, I didn't watch that game particularly closely so for all I know they were in Nickel the entire game.
bison could have sucked it up and said, ya know I forgot about that, but nooooooo had to go to the magical spin job, lol

Weak very weak cover, you must not realize how many years we watched John Chavis defenses on The Hill, GMAFB, you still have guys on your team this year that still have busted lips from that 4 man SEC D front, ya'll about to get a second dose of that.

Chavis ran a 4-3 at UT but assure you their defense for Oregon was a 4-2-5. That is what BSU used to beat us as well. It's a gap integrity defense and the best base outside of a 3-4 to defend the ducks. Likewise, Mo Clairborne, Reid, Taylor, Simon, Mathieu were otherworldly in the secondary.

1236245_10151702742897946_681997083_n.jpg

Is it that Ericvol guy or some variation? He sucks up on every other team's board all the time.
eff them, they need to turn in their orange and wear green, we don't need 'em, be true to your school

bison could have sucked it up and said, ya know I forgot about that, but nooooooo had to go to the magical spin job, lol

From what Tiger fans told me before the game, Chavis runs a 4-2-5 with 4-3 personnel but the philosophy and concepts are that of a 4-2-5. He changed up his scheme from his days at UT to fit the athletes at LSU and the scheme. Taylor was a SS the year prior and they just put him in the box.

In reality, Wilcox at BSU was probably listed as a 4-3 but they had a "Spartan" package with Venebles that was all 4-2-5 concepts.

USC in 2010 held us to around 35 in 2010 with a true 4-3 base. Auburn did as well.

He's much less dangerous to us passing from his pocket then he is when he runs out......believe that!

I agree but, we can cut the head off the snake if we can penetrate and disrupt in the backfield, regardless of the play.

I agree but, we can cut the head off the snake if we can penetrate and disrupt in the backfield, regardless of the play.

See a lot of teams "penetrate" Oregons backfield only to find that was a part of Oregon's plan....NOT the team to allow a field in Chaos, that's where they excel........it's got to be about "Containment".

Just my opinion.

Everyone already knew Worely was nothing special....Mariotta is passing for 53 percent in his first 2 games ...ok grbage was an overstatement because he has put up some good rushing yardage as well, but so fra Oregon has not demonstrated a consistent ability to throw downfield or even to throw that well in general......i don'tthink Mriotta can beat us if we somehow contain Thomas and their backs...

as i remember the ducks played CAL last year and their defensive coordinator said something very similar to this. score was 59-10 or something. game over in third quarter. many second, third and fourth string ducks got valuable experience. CAL has a new defensive coordinator this year.

VN Store

Back