Week 1 observations/overreactions

Wat. They scored 3 points and had very little yardage before 2nd string came in. They drove once on the 2nd string but then they figured it out.

I don’t even think they made it to our side of the field with the starters in.

Nico has great touch on his passes. Watching WRs pulling in passes over the middle today made me realize that some of the "drops" last year were indeed on Milton and his cannon arm. Not trying to rag on Joe. He's a class act and I hope he has a great profesional career. But Nico's passes are just easier to catch. I think he's going to be that special sort of QB who makes his receivers better.

Last edited:
-Nico played a hell of game. Seems like he got in his own head a little at the end of the half. He'll be fine.

-Backup QB is concerning

-Bru seems way more explosive than the last 2 years

-RB Depth seems very good

-Thornton may have a big year. Looks very comfortable.

-DL is Nasty

-Defense was flying around for the most part. Hoping we don't give up the easy stuff vs better teams.

Overall, hard to pull much from a game like this but we did what we were supposed to and a good springboard into a big game next week

GBO

When you score 69 in any college football game, no critique is needed.

Backups look fine that int was walk on Sneed’s bad route
That's your opinion and that's perfectly fine. There was also an overthrown TD to Brazzell, a Hitch route that flew into the stands, another throw to Brazzell that was a bad read. Week 1. Maybe he cleans it up
I can’t argue with you on that, but no more than he played last year I think the experience he got will help him.

Reactions: michivol143
That's your opinion and that's perfectly fine. There was also an overthrown TD to Brazzell, a Hitch route that flew into the stands, another throw to Brazzell that was a bad read. Week 1. Maybe he cleans it up
I do think merklinger looked better than Moore today. Moore made some late reads. But with time and more experience, they should get more reps and get more comfortable.

We’re in good shape. Some things to work on and Heup and company know that. Not a game we can’t win on our schedule. Also 2-3 we can lose. Just line up and play. Get better every week.

-Nico played a hell of game. Seems like he got in his own head a little at the end of the half. He'll be fine.

-Backup QB is concerning

-Bru seems way more explosive than the last 2 years

-RB Depth seems very good

-Thornton may have a big year. Looks very comfortable.

-DL is Nasty

-Defense was flying around for the most part. Hoping we don't give up the easy stuff vs better teams.

Overall, hard to pull much from a game like this but we did what we were supposed to and a good springboard into a big game next week

GBO
Think about last years game against Austin P. This team handle business this team is different

Pretty embarrassing performance. Glad Heupel sent a message to the team by benching Nico. You play like garbage, especially in the 2 minute situation, he will pull you and give another guy a chance. That game was too close for comfort until the blocked punt returned for the score. Atleast one 5 star showed up and put the game away. Going to be a long season...

Just kidding, that was about as perfect a start we could have asked for. Could have easily (not exaggerating) hung 100, escaped with no injuries. This year could be a special one. Nico was lights out, Sampson was a stud, and we have 4 or 5 guys who could go off any given game for 100 yards at the WR position (Bru, Squirrel, Thorton, Brazzell, Matthews when healthy).

What I’m not seeing anyone commenting on is how accurate Nico’s passes were. Different routes, different depths, etc. - he consistently put the ball in the ball in the perfect position for an in-stride catch. Almost 100% of his throws. We haven’t seen that level of accuracy in a long, long time. He wasn’t perfect - no QB will be - but his accuracy was beyond impressive. Take to NC State the same way next week. GBO!
Nico did just about everything I could ask of him. The only thing I'd say is don't be so hard on yourself that it affects the next play. That will come in time though. Super impressive for a RS Freshman.

I'm just gonna point out for future reference, we lost the TOP stat. I'm sure it will be mentioned at some point in the season so just remember, Josh doesn't care about TOP. Getting wins in his system is based on scoring quickly and the quicker we score the more TOP we give the other team. We scored quickly today.

Backup QBs are backups for a reason. We're not (yet) at the level of when Bama had a QB room full of future NFL starters.

If you were expecting that Moore or Merk were as gifted as Nico, reset your expectations. They're not. Does Merk have a great ceiling? Perhaps. I'd like to see more than a few snaps before I pass judgement either way.

If Nico goes down for the season, we're most likely screwed out of a great year. VERY, VERY few programs have "plug and play" great QBs.

I'm just gonna point out for future reference, we lost the TOP stat. I'm sure it will be mentioned at some point in the season so just remember, Josh doesn't care about TOP. Getting wins in his system is based on scoring quickly and the quicker we score the more TOP we give the other team. We scored quickly today.
Cmon bro nit pick much u sound like my wife lol...I mean it was what a minute I think if even that?Now if it was some 10 min difference can get your point but I think we just griping to gripe

Lost on TOP but ran about 60% more plays than the other team. Impressive.

Backup QBs are backups for a reason. We're not (yet) at the level of when Bama had a QB room full of future NFL starters.

If you were expecting that Moore or Merk were as gifted as Nico, reset your expectations. They're not. Does Merk have a great ceiling? Perhaps. I'd like to see more than a few snaps before I pass judgement either way.

If Nico goes down for the season, we're most likely screwed out of a great year. VERY, VERY few programs have "plug and play" great QBs.
I do agree with you. But maybe our backup QBs, though not plugnplay great QBs, might still could be Daryl Dickeys, behind T-Rob.

I do agree with you. But maybe our backup QBs, though not plugnplay great QBs, might still could be Daryl Dickeys, behind T-Rob.
They may be, but not playing with a whole team of 2s.

It's not feasible that your 2nd and 3rd string teams are going to be as strong as your starters and THAT is what we saw today.

If Gaston or Merk comes in with all the other horses still on the field it will be fair to compare them to Nico. Today, it wasn't.

Every year I want to see some blowouts in early games to give 2s and 3s some reps. Doesn’t seem to ever happen.

Tennessee started fast and scored often over a good Chattanooga team giving a lot of players snaps against good opposition. This was a good game overall.

The drive in the 4th led by Merk (4/4) was icing on the cake. Well, along with a blocked punt returned for TD. 😀

VN Store

Back