Week 1 observations/overreactions

After Nico’s bowl performance I think we already had a good sense of what we have with him. But obviously he validated things for everyone in a profound way today. Specifically his accuracy, hitting receivers in stride, and command of the offense were just outstanding and impressive. As I mentioned in the game thread, I was also impressed with the distribution. It wasn’t just one or two guys he was looking to. He was dealing and spreading the wealth.

It wasn’t all perfect and there are some details to clean up but by and large this team did what you need an elite team to do on week 1 vs a weaker opponent.

But there is one concern. The one question mark coming into the season was the secondary. What little we actually got to see them today did not do anything to alleviate those concerns. That’s still a big question mark heading into week 2. I know the DL can help here, but we may have to out score teams with good passing offenses.
Agreed. I loved Nico's performance and play making abilities but with all the running around he's doing, I am very concerned that some defensive player is eventually going to clean his clock and injure him.

Backup QBs are backups for a reason. We're not (yet) at the level of when Bama had a QB room full of future NFL starters.

If you were expecting that Moore or Merk were as gifted as Nico, reset your expectations. They're not. Does Merk have a great ceiling? Perhaps. I'd like to see more than a few snaps before I pass judgement either way.

If Nico goes down for the season, we're most likely screwed out of a great year. VERY, VERY few programs have "plug and play" great QBs.
We're on the same page. Just saying that wasn't really even serviceable QB play from Moore. Merk is a freshman. He has more talent than Moore but idk if he's ready to step in if needed in an SEC game

We're on the same page. Just saying that wasn't really even serviceable QB play from Moore. Merk is a freshman. He has more talent than Moore but idk if he's ready to step in if needed in an SEC game
Neither of the backups were playing with our 1s.

If they have to step in and get reps with the first team, we'll talk about "serviceable play" then.

Either way, neither of those guys is Nico, but today was apples to oranges because of the other talent on the field.

Strangest "no shows" for me today we're Squirrel White on offense and James Pierce Jr on defense. I kinda get what the deal was with Pierce, as it looked like UTC schemed around him with quick passes and heavy on the run. But I'm surprised at how few targets Squirrel had.

Reactions: Lucy
Neither of the backups were playing with our 1s.

If they have to step in and get reps with the first team, we'll talk about "serviceable play" then.

Either way, neither of those guys is Nico, but today was apples to oranges because of the other talent on the field.
I'm not saying he can't be. I'm saying, based on week 1, it wasn't very confidence inspiring. But as I mentioned, it's week 1 so we'll see. Hopefully it won't be a conversation that needs to be had.

Big drop off from 1st string to 2 or 3. Hope Nico and stay healthy.There's some reserve lineman that done some wiffing and about got him killed. Still question DB play. Next week will tell.

-Nico played a hell of game. Seems like he got in his own head a little at the end of the half. He'll be fine.

-Backup QB is concerning

-Bru seems way more explosive than the last 2 years

-RB Depth seems very good

-Thornton may have a big year. Looks very comfortable.

-DL is Nasty

-Defense was flying around for the most part. Hoping we don't give up the easy stuff vs better teams.

Overall, hard to pull much from a game like this but we did what we were supposed to and a good springboard into a big game next week

GBO

Sampson FEASTED today and he will have a very good season.

Moore threw a bad pick and the defense bailed his ass out.

Dante Thornton shot up some NFL draft boards with his performance today.

Not saying it’s an over reaction but #25 Beasley was beat several plays when he came in and didn’t turn his head. Concerning, but I understand he’s a freshman and that was good experience. Hopefully some good film for him to improve.

Strangest "no shows" for me today we're Squirrel White on offense and James Pierce Jr on defense. I kinda get what the deal was with Pierce, as it looked like UTC schemed around him with quick passes and heavy on the run. But I'm surprised at how few targets Squirrel had.
If Thornton, Bru, and Brazell play like they did today, there aren't going to be a lot of targets left to go around. Squirrel will get his opportunities, but we are stronger on the outside this year.

Had a lot of "likes" today. Bishop looked real,glad he got a score. Leacock not giving up and chasing down the intercepter before he could score despite a 7+ yard head start. Ross with the scoop and score.
So many players rewarded with time on the field.

Got to admit a little concern on pass defense but i feel positive the secondary will get it together.

Was that Lance that missed the block that got Nico creamed. It kinda looked like he got lazy on that snap and that guy made him pay. I haven't got a chance to rewatch just going on memory

Reactions: 901 Orange
They may be, but not playing with a whole team of 2s.

It's not feasible that your 2nd and 3rd string teams are going to be as strong as your starters and THAT is what we saw today.

If Gaston or Merk comes in with all the other horses still on the field it will be fair to compare them to Nico. Today, it wasn't.
I think Merk is about the same place at this time of the year as Nico was last year. I keep seeing people point out this game and the Bowl game as reasons Nico should have been the starter last year. Those people are on crack. Who he was by the bowl game was light years ahead of him early season. Last year was last year this is this year and so far Nico is surpassing any realistic expectations. Lets be happy with what we have instead of turning it into hate.

VN Store

Back