Welcome to College Football 2024!

I'll always be a Vol fan, but man I'm so glad I grew up when players were our heroes and they loved the ONE school they played for.

In a sense the changes are only fair and long overdue. But 100 % agree that the NIL changes (and the portal) are converting the college game into the minor leagues for the NFL.

So, its just and right to do to it, but its ruining what we all enjoyed for so long.

Reactions: volfan102455
"Financially stable" is the key. It looks like Matthews just blew $100K on a car. STUPID! The car is now worth about $80K. He just lost $20K. What makes you think he's going to make the decisions to be "financially stable"? If he doesn't go pro, he'll be flat broke in less than 10 yrs. and his car will be worth about $15K if he takes really good care of it.
He didn’t blow any money on that car. Looks like he was given that car for marketing purposes. So what, he has to pay taxes on it. That’s not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

I don't have a problem with players getting paid their fair share. I think my main concern about NIL is jealously among players. I mean Mike Matthews drives a new Volvo and some players don't drive at all. QB at Georgia sporting a new Lambo. I'll just have to be satisified with my 1954 Willys Jeep.
Oh well it will all work out in the end.

GO VOLS!!!

"Financially stable" is the key. It looks like Matthews just blew $100K on a car. STUPID! The car is now worth about $80K. He just lost $20K. What makes you think he's going to make the decisions to be "financially stable"? If he doesn't go pro, he'll be flat broke in less than 10 yrs. and his car will be worth about $15K if he takes really good care of it.
What makes anyone think it's not his money to do with as he pleases?

On second thought, after reading some of the posts on here, NIL may cause more problems among the fans... Now that's funny.

GO VOLS!!!!

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Who is harmed by a kid making money?

So, he blows it all. He had fun. He played hard. Where's the negative in that? What SHOULD he have been doing at his age? What did YOU do at his age?

There's not a downside to a kid making then blowing a bunch of money. He'll start like most of his peers fresh out of college. Tragic, isn't it?

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I don't have a problem with players getting paid their fair share. I think my main concern about NIL is jealously among players. I mean Mike Matthews drives a new Volvo and some players don't drive at all. QB at Georgia sporting a new Lambo. I'll just have to be satisified with my 1954 Willys Jeep.
Oh well it will all work out in the end.

GO VOLS!!!
Is that a problem in the pros where QBs make huge bucks but the guys protecting them make 10 times less?

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
? What did YOU do at his age?

There's not a downside to a kid making then blowing a bunch of money. He'll start like most of his peers fresh out of college. Tragic, isn't it?
Since you asked: At age 10, I was mowing yards. At 13, I had two paper routes, the Tennessean in the morning and Sundays, and the Nashville Banner in the afternoon. I laid carpet during my first year of college. In year two, I worked in a sawmill and gravel pit in the summer. In my junior year, I worked in a factory from 11PM to 7AM until I graduated. After graduation, I worked days and went to grad school at night.

More often than not, people who have a great deal of money and lose it are far more miserable than people who have never had a lot of money. Having a large sum of money and blowing it is tragic in my view because you blew the chance to live a financially secure stress-free life where you are able to help others with the wealth you accumulate. It's my philosophy that God has entrusted me with what I have and I should be a good steward of what He has entrusted to me. But, I understand most people don't subscribe to that philosophy.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Y’all that are complaining about college NIL, you do realize the majority of states allow NIL for high school athletes? They will be, and already are in some cases, making more than their teachers. This is only the beginning and if you are upset with it currently then you will start to get even more upset as time goes by. I find it best to just worry about myself and not pay attention to what other people are doing with money. I’m not going to get mad at anyone that is making money as long as they aren’t involved in criminal activities that allowed them to gain said money.
It doesn’t havre to be very much money to get more $$ than teachers in Tennessee.

Since you asked: At age 10, I was mowing yards. At 13, I had two paper routes, the Tennessean in the morning and Sundays, and the Nashville Banner in the afternoon. I laid carpet during my first year of college. In year two, I worked in a sawmill and gravel pit in the summer. In my junior year, I worked in a factory from 11PM to 7AM until I graduated. After graduation, I worked days and went to grad school at night.

More often than not, people who have a great deal of money and lose it are far more miserable than people who have never had a lot of money. Having a large sum of money and blowing it is tragic in my view because you blew the chance to live a financially secure stress-free life where you are able to help others with the wealth you accumulate. It's my philosophy that God has entrusted me with what I have and I should be a good steward of what He has entrusted to me. But, I understand most people don't subscribe to that philosophy.
Sounds a lot like me and my two brothers. We all had paper routes, miwded lawns, worked in the drug store and saved our money to go to UT. During the Summers, I worked at Rhom&Hass third shift, and made enough money to pay my college expenses for the next year.

Reactions: greenbacknative

This tells me you didn't have D1 talent, much less talent like Nico or Matthews, who apparently has clocked a 4.4+ 40 time.

Most NIL deals aren't huge. Those that are, like Nico or Arch Manning or whomever, are solid blue chip potential NFL guys.

If a regular player blows his 25k or 50k NIL, he's not going to feel "I ruined my life" hopefully. They'll hopefully look back and know they rode the wave having as much fun as any kid could.

If a kid DOES get millions, they're probably aware that about 5-7 years later, there's big NFL money if they dedicate themselves to their career.

I just can't see a huge negative.

It usually doesn’t but there are plenty of teachers with masters degrees that make pretty good money.
I moved back to Tennessee fro the Atlanta area, and the public school salaries are, on average, 30-40 percent lower in Tennessee than in Georgia. High School booster clubs also supplement coaches with gifts at the end of their sports seasons. Football coaches, in , particular, do very well.

Reactions: Ratvol
Is that a problem in the pros where QBs make huge bucks but the guys protecting them make 10 times less?
Not sure since I don’t follow NFL since they started taking a knee couple of years ago.
I'm sure there is some jealousy there somewhere. Maybe not that pronounced though.

I moved back to Tennessee fro the Atlanta area, and the public school salaries are, on average, 30-40 percent lower in Tennessee than in Georgia. High School booster clubs also supplement coaches with gifts at the end of their sports seasons. Football coaches, in , particular, do very well.
We moved back to East Tennessee 3 years ago from Cumming Georgia. I miss the restaurants there.
Etowah is lacking in eateries. We do have a Waffle House.

We are 2 years or so away from this not being COLLEGE FOOTBALL anymore. Listen to the Trent Dilfer interview!

Exactly. We're supposed to be excited that majors want to throw money at kids who may not even pan out and then turn college football
into pro football? I'm not sure where this idea originated that student-athletes getting full academic scholarships plus lots of other bennies worth in excess of $50K a year were poor, exploited individuals, but it's abject nonsense.

Reactions: volfan102455
Exactly. We're supposed to be excited that majors want to throw money at kids who may not even pan out and then turn college football
into pro football? I'm not sure where this idea originated that student-athletes getting full academic scholarships plus lots of other bennies worth in excess of $50K a year were poor, exploited individuals, but it's abject nonsense.
No, it isn't, because the scholarships weren't close to fair market value, especially for the football programs that bring millions of dollars to the schools and the conferences every year.

Reactions: VFLBerg
I'm pretty sure it stems from these folks, but what do they know about anyone's legal rights.1000025331.jpg

Reactions: MemphisVol77
No, it isn't, because the scholarships weren't close to fair market value, especially for the football programs that bring millions of dollars to the schools and the conferences every year.

You do realize that college football generally pays for all other sports? The only profitable sports are Football and at some places men's basketball. The impact will be less college sports and less opportunity for athletes from other sports to obtain a scholarship. You ready for no Tennessee baseball, Tennessee softball, woman's basketball, etc? The greed of the football players will remove the opportunity for other athletes.

Very few universities even with all the TV money, make money. Where is the money coming from to pay these players what some of you think they are worth?

And forget getting coaches for these sports - all the money will go to pay football players, many of whom will never make the NFL.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
You do realize that college football generally pays for all other sports? The only profitable sports are Football and at some places men's basketball. The impact will be less college sports and less opportunity for athletes from other sports to obtain a scholarship. You ready for no Tennessee baseball, Tennessee softball, woman's basketball, etc? The greed of the football players will remove the opportunity for other athletes.

Very few universities even with all the TV money, make money. Where is the money coming from to pay these players what some of you think they are worth?

And forget getting coaches for these sports - all the money will go to pay football players, many of whom will never make the NFL.
This is all true, but it doesn't gives the schools the right to not pay football players market value for their efforts. And yes, the scholarship is valuable. No, it doesn't fully cover market value of the athletes and the NIL payments prove that.

That's the problem. It's illegal in America to conspire with other businesses to all pay your workers less than market value.

I'm fine with the schools operating legally. They are losing case after case because they aren't.

Is college athletics more important to you than having the NCAA and universities operate legally?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
They know about their own rights, to handouts. Despite being directly forbidden to do so.
I'll agree that the ethics on the Court is pretty weak. Much of that has to do with the ethics of those who appointed them and the ethics of the Congress which approved them.

All of that goes back to us. We keep voting for people who lack the basic decency to serve.

I'll agree that the ethics on the Court is pretty weak. Much of that has to do with the ethics of those who appointed them and the ethics of the Congress which approved them.

All of that goes back to us. We keep voting for people who lack the basic decency to serve.
Agree, wholeheartedly. But much like a choose your own adventure, we can only elect those that choose to run, usually those who's campaign can afford to spend most money. Average Joe's, with calloused hands, meanwhile stand hands in air, upturned 'what the hell do I have to do?'

'For the people, by the people (so long as you're wealthy).

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Agree, wholeheartedly. But much like a choose your own adventure, we can only elect those that choose to run, usually those who's campaign can afford to spend most money. Average Joe's, with calloused hands, meanwhile stand hands in air, upturned 'what the hell do I have to do?'

'For the people, by the people (so long as you're wealthy).
True. That discussion has a place on the board and this isn't it.

As for basketball and football, the NCAA and schools can't keep this up legally. It sucks for way things have been but the seemingly crazy NIL deals clearly show how valuable some players are to college programs.

Something has to give.

I've advocated schools get out of the big business of football and basketball and let those that can (including UT) go pro. Get away from the huge TV deals and bring college ball back to college and let pro ball be pro ball.

The mistake, in my mind, was creating this enormous revenue cow business of college sports and marketing it like pro sports. What did we expect would happen?

VN Store

Back